BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Black ice advice

• Stumpjumper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2018 09:52 #189827 by Stumpjumper
Black ice advice was created by Stumpjumper
Boss rang this am to confirm I would be in to work as I have a Jimmy. The road outside is 14' wide, has seen no grit, the surface is slick black ice, with a stone wall on one side and parked vehicles on the other. Should I risk the journey...or have another slice of toast.....
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2018 10:52 #189828 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Black ice advice
Toast
No vehicle is a match for the Black ice effect
;)

• Mraz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2018 12:39 #189832 by Mraz
Replied by Mraz on topic Black ice advice
Slice of toast, cup of tea... enjoy the day off.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Mar 2018 13:26 #189833 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Black ice advice
My street was in a similar condition this morning. Unfortunately the sheep don't understand what a day off because of ice is. Steady away on tickover and Ermintrude just toddled off not a murmur.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Stumpjumper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2018 17:28 #189838 by Stumpjumper
Replied by Stumpjumper on topic Black ice advice
The only vehicles I've seen all day, have been lumpy 4wd's crunching their way past without a care in the world. I suppose weight has its advantages... the Jim would come off a lot worse if it got clipped by an overconfident Disco pilot : ( Distracted afternoon viewing.....

More
02 Mar 2018 17:37 #189839 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic Black ice advice

Stumpjumper wrote: Boss rang this am to confirm I would be in to work as I have a Jimmy. The road outside is 14' wide, has seen no grit, the surface is slick black ice, with a stone wall on one side and parked vehicles on the other. Should I risk the journey...or have another slice of toast.....

Ice on the tarmac is a pain, there's not enough of it to activate the 4x4 system for fear of damaging the transfer box, and in rear two wheel mode the Jimny becomes very entertaining...:laugh:

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2018 18:32 #189841 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Black ice advice
Chains :)

More
02 Mar 2018 19:51 #189844 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Black ice advice

Stumpjumper wrote: The only vehicles I've seen all day, have been lumpy 4wd's crunching their way past without a care in the world. I suppose weight has its advantages... the Jim would come off a lot worse if it got clipped by an overconfident Disco pilot : ( Distracted afternoon viewing.....

In this weather I can say that driving my heavier Pajero is way better than my lighter Junior.

As for black ice my concern is not the going but the stopping.

Again my Junior is way too light for sheet ice but if I had to negotiate the road you describe I would have no hesitation in doing it in the 2 tonner Pajero.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Stumpjumper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2018 20:42 #189848 by Stumpjumper
Started raining down here about 1700, its gone eerily quiet as the wind has died down. Even the occasional 4x4 is tucked away as the temperature drops. It's like Xmas day, even the local co-op is shut, the roads like a mirror.......

• Stumpjumper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2018 08:23 #189862 by Stumpjumper
Guess what? It's 6* outside, ....the snow & black ice is gone. I'm just about to Velcro my chest wig back on & go for a recce in my Jim.......

More
03 Mar 2018 08:28 #189863 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Black ice advice
Well the BMW has eventually gone from outside my house, so I'm off to the shops to get the weekly shop, assuming that there is anything left due to people panic buying as it is The End of The World.

I fail to see why it is The End of the World though, especially in Scotland, as it generally snows there in Winter.

Is it just because it is affecting the South?

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
03 Mar 2018 09:13 #189866 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Black ice advice

facade wrote: Well the BMW has eventually gone from outside my house, so I'm off to the shops to get the weekly shop, assuming that there is anything left due to people panic buying as it is The End of The World.

I fail to see why it is The End of the World though, especially in Scotland, as it generally snows there in Winter.

Is it just because it is affecting the South?

I schlep around in my 4x4 all year so I just keep going as normal whatever the weather.
Panic buying occurs several times a year usually before a bank holiday. Some rural areas do have a reason for people to stock up. It has to be a society thing and I blame social media and other media like Sky news. I dread to think what we would do if the supermarkets suddenly disappeared. Other countries deal with snow, some have to pretty much all of the time. I suppose it is different from the 50's ans 60's when snow used to be expected every year because nowadays snow is a rare occurrence. I get more concerned about people who cannot get medical help. SWOM blames North Korea for their nuclear testing.
Almost dropped a brick the other day though. What I though was a hump in the road was a sand drift and I stopped just in time to avoid burying my Junior. It was a close call.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds