BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny Insurance Black Box

• Oscar2602
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Feb 2018 21:59 #189547 by Oscar2602
Jimny Insurance Black Box was created by Oscar2602
Hi there,
I am looking at getting a Jimmy as my second car but I am 18. Insurance is really expensive and I wanted to know if anyone has a black box on their Jimny and still uses it off road?
I currently have a black box on my car so I understand how they work.
I've been told the black box shouldn't record your activity when off road but I don't believe this.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2018 22:21 #189549 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Jimny Insurance Black Box
I assume the black box uses gps to record your location, speed and driving style ( fast acceleration or hard braking) and compare this to the road map data to check you are not speeding etc.
Once you leave the road map, be it your drive or offroad, you can't be exceeding any speed limit as they dont exist. Also off road you tend to be in low ratio, so speeding is the last of your worries :laugh: :laugh:
Its also likely that you dont have insurance cover off road anyway...

I dont have a box, just my thoughts, but you could always ask your insurance company.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Oscar2602
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Feb 2018 22:30 #189550 by Oscar2602
Replied by Oscar2602 on topic Jimny Insurance Black Box
Hi,
Your right about not being covered off road, just worried I'll pay for insurance and then I get my insurance canceled because of what i was using the car for. Not worried about speeding either lol. From my current box it does look at the acceleration, smoothness and braking. I was concerned about asking the insurance company's, as I thought they may not insure me if I tell them what I will be doing with the car. I may have to ask them though.
Thanks for your opinion as well :)

• Eskimo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Feb 2018 22:56 #189551 by Eskimo
Replied by Eskimo on topic Jimny Insurance Black Box
You could try Lancaster Insurance, I've got my Jimny insured with them as its my second car, and with mods, and offroad cover the price was good. Not sure if they offer black boxes but could be worth a call, they're very open to mods but the only limiting factor was mileage as they will only cover upto a max of 8000mls per year on a second car.

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Feb 2018 22:57 - 20 Feb 2018 22:57 #189552 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Jimny Insurance Black Box
Martin recently responded to a similar question on Facebook. If you stick to green-laning in England, these are public highways and therefore not off-road. Whether the insurance company finds another clause to weasel out of this remains to be seen, but you're in with a shout regarding keeping your cover and not getting penalised.

Just how a black box records the g-forces / direction changes when you rock a vehicle out of a hole or drive across a rock garden I'm not so sure...
Last edit: 20 Feb 2018 22:57 by Venter.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Feb 2018 05:23 #189554 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny Insurance Black Box
I do appreciate that the insurance industry is milking young drivers in what amounts to a criminally extortionate manner and I really sympathise with the pain it causes. However I would sooner work all the hours of the day and night to have the money to avoid having to have a black box on overwatch. They're just a fundamental invasion of privacy that offends everything my motoring soul stands for. That and they're yet another example of the insurance industry trying to be judge, jury and executioner of driving standards in the UK. It really winds me right up.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Feb 2018 08:28 #189559 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Jimny Insurance Black Box
It's a funny one. I'd have thought if they aren't covering you for driving off-road then they can't penalise you for how you drive off-road. No harm in asking them!
I had similar queries about a track car on a limited mileage policy. The insurer didn't cover me when I was on track but still wanted me to pay more when the odometer had exceeded their mileage limit. I argued that if they weren't covering me on the track then those miles should not count towards my limited mileage and they shut up.
For your own benefit I would recommend keeping a log of when and where you are driving off-road so if they ever kick up a fuss you can put them right.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds