BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Transmission noise

• Kevin Jibly
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2018 20:53 - 16 Feb 2018 20:58 #189365 by Kevin Jibly
Transmission noise was created by Kevin Jibly
Okay I know this is going to be a long one !! I have a transmission whine at 25 mph and above, relative to road speed only, not gear. I can coast at 30, 40 , 60 whatever clutch depressed or not even in neutral and its still there and its a loud steady whine, like a dry bearing. So I disconnected the propshaft to detach the drive from back wheels, and when i go through the gears (stationery as propshaft off) the whine is still there just the same at the same indicated speeds. The only difference is when the clutch is pressed the noise instantly disapears, I am thinking this is because the rear wheels arent turning the prop and then the transfer box and then what ? in the gear box ???so I think the noise is in the gearbox, not the transfer box (used a stethoscope), loud in bell housing and gearbox, lots of people, including local garage are saying thrust bearing But it is silent when clutch pedal pressed, surely this is when a worn thrust bearing should be noisy, not quiet, as it is engaing, under load and rotating when the pedal is pressed isnt it. I really need help as garage says to start replace clutch, good price but I am sure it is gearbox and not thrust bearing, I took plastic cover off and thrust bearing is moving very slightly when ticking over and balances nice when revved. Any help as I dont want to waste to much money, I know if its gearbox I will do clutch aswell, but done at the same time will save labour costs. Any help would be good (PLEASE).
Last edit: 16 Feb 2018 20:58 by Kevin Jibly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2018 22:03 #189366 by jackonlyjack

• Kevin Jibly
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2018 22:19 #189367 by Kevin Jibly
Replied by Kevin Jibly on topic Transmission noise
Hello its a 2006 VVT jlx soft top

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2018 23:09 #189369 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic Transmission noise
Thrust bearing.

More
16 Feb 2018 23:14 #189370 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic Transmission noise
You do know the Jimny clutch cable needs adjusting now and then?
Look underneath the car and locate where the cable enters the bellhousing.
There should be a plastic box like cover. Remove it.
You should now see a large plastic adjusting knob. This needs adjusting until you have a couple of mm free play in the outer cable.
It'll probably be stiff if it hasn't been adjusted for some time so wd40 and work it back and forward until it is free.
Yes it sounds like a release bearing problem. The Jimny design is old and the release bearing is not designed to be in constant contact with the clutch as in modern self adjusting cables on cars.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

• Kevin Jibly
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2018 23:17 #189371 by Kevin Jibly
I wish it was but not convinced it is, as said the noise goes when clutch pressed with propshaft off (so no drag from back wheels prop etc through gearbox) , and not there in neutral only when in gear doing 25mph + and totally relative to road speed not engine speed or clutch in or out (coasting at 25+ its still there ? thrust bearing isnt spinning until clutch pressed and bearing engaged onto clutch plate then bad bearing should become apparent ?

• Kevin Jibly
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2018 23:23 #189373 by Kevin Jibly
I had thought of doing that I will give it a go tommorrow Thanks, I will be careful plastic and an old cable and a funny rubber locking thing, if that is it i will need your address to send you beer !!!!!!!! Lots of beer. (as long as you in UK : ) I have read that the VVT gearboxes have a common synchromesh problem that sound like worn bearings,

More
16 Feb 2018 23:29 #189374 by gilburton
If the noise disappears with the clutch pressed down in neutral it's the clutch thrust bearing. If the noise persists it's the gearbox.
A worn thrust bearing will be noisy when not being pressed down as it is worn so can rattle/whine.
When you press it down you are taking up the wear in the bearing so it goes quiet.

More
16 Feb 2018 23:29 #189375 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Transmission noise
Check the gearbox oil level. The filler is half way up the gearbox on the UK driver's side. It should be filled up till oil just trickles out of the filler.

If not, top up with GL4 oil of whatever viscosity the handbook says. Don't use GL5, no matter what ill-informed motor factors try to tell you about what's best for your gearbox.

Also check for leaks, especially around the rear seal.

If you fancy it, replace the gearbox oil. It might help.

Your gearbox is known for bearing wear caused by a leak from the rear oil seal I believe. There's been much documented on here in the past.

One guy seemed to have ideas that the viscosity Suzuki use is too thick and he seemed to know his stuff but I can't find the post for love nor money now!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
16 Feb 2018 23:37 #189378 by gilburton

• Kevin Jibly
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2018 23:53 #189380 by Kevin Jibly
Thanks Kirkynut I replaced all diff tansfer and gear oils when I got the Jimny 6 months ago, Iused a GL4/5 Fuchs oil, the old stuff was very dirty and I am sure the drain plug had quite a few bits stuck on the magnet, very fine stuff and no lumpy metal bits !!! I thought it might be normal hence the magnet being there. I have just checked the level today and no leaks its all nice and dry.
The recommended oil is thick mind its like treacle, I filled with a large syringe pump thing and it took some pressure to get the oil out.

• Kevin Jibly
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Feb 2018 00:00 #189382 by Kevin Jibly
Thanks, but the noise isnt there in neutral at any revs when stationery, it is only apparent at 25mph+ and will only stop when the clutch is pressed AND if the back wheels are off the ground (on axle stands), on the road as said it is totally related to wheel speed. and is there in gear or in neutral with the clutch up or down (coasting) ??

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds