BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Replacing road tyres

• Stumpjumper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2018 20:29 #189245 by Stumpjumper
Replacing road tyres was created by Stumpjumper
Hi everyone, haven't been on-line for a while, so I've been catching up with the new look BJF.
I've checked out using 'search' and have unable to find much info on replacing road going tyres.
The Jimmy spends most of its time relaxing outside work or home, the nearest it gets to going off road is when tackling Chelsea tractors in Dorset back lanes.
My standard Duellers are from 2011 and though having lots of tread, are showing signs of ageing. Are the Duellers worth replacing like for like or would you consider another brand?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2018 21:36 #189247 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Replacing road tyres
Yokoharma Geolanda. B)

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Feb 2018 04:17 #189252 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Replacing road tyres
Bfg urban terrain.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 Feb 2018 10:04 #189257 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Replacing road tyres
Stay away from the Duellers both of the tyres suggested above will be a better choice ;)

• Stumpjumper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2018 13:46 #189261 by Stumpjumper
Replied by Stumpjumper on topic Replacing road tyres
Thanks guys, must admit, the duellers I've got on board don't fill me with confidence. Whether that's down to brittle tyres or pilot error, the Jim seems to get twitchy as soon as the conditions get damp.
I was tempted to put on softer compound muds but my 'offroading' consists of summer fields of grass and gravel tracks ......

More
11 Feb 2018 14:31 #189263 by furo
Replied by furo on topic Replacing road tyres
I would highly recommend switching to another brand - I hated my Duellers. I have used Goodyear Wranglers AT/SAs and General Grabber AT3s, both of which I highly recommend. Although they are all-terrains they both perform better on-road than the original Duellers, which were absolute ditch-finders. Needless to say they will also be far superior on gravel tracks/fields as well as more resistant to punctures. I really don't understand why the Jimny doesn't come standard with good all terrain tyres!

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

• Stumpjumper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2018 15:24 #189264 by Stumpjumper
Seems like the Duellers need replacing pronto...
Size wise, should standard dimensions apply to the above, or would a narrower taller tyre help the ride/handling in your opinion?

More
11 Feb 2018 15:28 #189265 by furo
Replied by furo on topic Replacing road tyres
I went with standard size for the Wranglers and now I'm on 215/75 AT3s, and I wouldn't say I notice much of a handling difference between the two (other than slower acceleration with the bigger tyres). I'd probably just go with standard size if you aren't looking for extra ground clearance, but I'm no expert!

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

More
11 Feb 2018 15:31 #189266 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Replacing road tyres
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI used these for a while and they give a little more ground clearance

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2018 18:15 #189269 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Replacing road tyres
Grabbers for me great tyre ;)

More
15 Feb 2018 13:54 #189348 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Replacing road tyres
It appears that the author of the topic has not noticed that this site also has a "wiki" knowledge base on various Jimny-related topics.

Here is the wiki:
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

And this article might be of particular interest:
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?tit...age_-_best_practices

Just get yourself a good pair of glasses before reading it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stumpjumper

• Stumpjumper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2018 18:38 #189364 by Stumpjumper
Thanks for the use of your knowledge, I've just finished reading it & found it very informative. Needs linking into the search function for the uninitiated, well worth a visit if considering tyre size manipulation especially.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds