BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Wax oil.

• Ruedeleglise
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2018 09:11 #189104 by Ruedeleglise
Wax oil. was created by Ruedeleglise
Hi there. After a couple of months with my Jimny I recon I am getting to know her, her good and bad habits! I have been up to the axels in mud and water and been where a Toyota utility and even a Defender got stuck. What I would like an opinion on is the use of wax oil. I used some 40 years ago to inject it and thouroughly smother the underparts , nooks and crannies of my cars. What is recommended and your opinion now?

Attachment not found

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Feb 2018 10:09 #189105 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Wax oil.
Topping up or starting with an older ca4 I would be using waxoyle or dinitrol or similar. Starting with a new car I would be on with buzzweld,.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Ruedeleglise
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2018 10:55 #189106 by Ruedeleglise
Replied by Ruedeleglise on topic Wax oil.
Thanks. Mine is 3yrs old and was used previously as a shopping trolley.....only 13000 miles. Never heard of Buzzweld....presume Halfords?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
05 Feb 2018 12:09 #189108 by Lambert
No , buzzweld is a direct from the supplier thing. They have lots of different types of paintable finishes for different applications. Google them.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ruedeleglise

More
06 Feb 2018 20:19 #189145 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Wax oil.

Ruedeleglise wrote: What I would like an opinion on is the use of wax oil. I used some 40 years ago to inject it and thouroughly smother the underparts , nooks and crannies of my cars. What is recommended and your opinion now?

Attachment not found

Waxoyl all the way.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
06 Feb 2018 21:33 #189148 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Wax oil.
Now I'm not a fan of Wayoyl. It can trap moisture under it in pockets, especially if there was already a little rust you didn't know about, albeit a good side brushing ought to be done first.

I'm much more a fan of a proper paint and personally use Hamerite, topping up with fresh coats as required.

I'm not experienced with buzzweld but believe it to be better.

Cavities I believe are best treated in road cars with old engine oil, however, not on a car that will go through Fords or other water and leave a rainbow effect in its wake! Not good for ze fishes!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• rappey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Feb 2018 19:31 #189162 by rappey
Replied by rappey on topic Wax oil.
Ive experimented with many anti rust products while trying to keep rust at bay on a 72 yr old ship.
Hammerite was the clear winner over fertan, rustoleum and a whole other range of anti rust products.. but a few years back they removed whatever hammerite had that made it so good (lowering voc content of paints) and now its not that great.. Never waste your time using red oxide, and oil based undercoat is better than red oxide.. I really dont know why anyone even bothers to make that crap !
Best on rusty steel is real red lead paint by a long way, but the hard bit is finding the stuff, and no it has never been banned...
Waxoyle is supposed to repair itself when a stone takes a chunk off by slowly flowing and resealing... any good? couldnt say !
what about basic black underseal? Great for painting on welds as it hides the appaling bodge job underneath..lol

More
07 Feb 2018 22:12 #189167 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Wax oil.

rappey wrote: what about basic black underseal? Great for painting on welds as it hides the appaling bodge job underneath..lol

Yes for floor panel sections. rockers and the like I use the Hammerite underseal with added Waxoyl but on my Celerio, being a new car, I went with Tetroseal as it has a claim to have excellent sound deadening qualities which believe me the Celerio needed and I found to be very effective.There was just about no protection underneath and in key areas elsewhere so every little stone sounded like a marble in a biscuit tin. Suzuki should be ashamed of themselves. .

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
08 Feb 2018 10:50 - 08 Feb 2018 10:51 #189178 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Wax oil.
lots of salty roads and winter with large temperature variations where i come from.
Most important in my opinion is that the car is clean and dry when you put your favorite stuff under there. And also repeat the process and check for wear once every couple of years or so. Clean your car often and do this and it will last.
All carbon steel will sooner or later rust and return to the nature so it depends on the maintenance how long it will last.

linseed oil, lanolin, tectyl, dinitrol and so on, many products and most of them is ok.

On a new car i would use the thicker stuff, and on an older car more thin and penetrating products.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2018 10:51 by yakuza.

More
11 Feb 2018 03:29 #189250 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Wax oil.
Lanolin is supposed to be the bee's knees but try to find it and then once you do it's very expensive!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Lambert
    Registered
More
11 Feb 2018 04:23 #189254 by Lambert
I have tonnes of the stuff. It's a bit raw and doesn't tend to appreciate being introduced to vehicles, but I do have lots of it.

More
13 Feb 2018 08:14 #189310 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Wax oil.

Lambert wrote: I have tonnes of the stuff. It's a bit raw and doesn't tend to appreciate being introduced to vehicles, but I do have lots of it.

Some do not like the smell of it..

Friend of mine built some extremely large speakers and found some info about sheep wool having the best sound dampening quality.
Filled the speakers with the white stuff. Ready built speakers for testing, and turned the volume up high with the woofers pumping air thru all the ports and channels inside the speakers.
After a while the room smelled just like a sheep farm. I like the smell as i grew up on a small sheep farm but my friend did not :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds