BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Timing belt

• Clint68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jan 2018 21:34 #188049 by Clint68
Timing belt was created by Clint68
Hi, I’ve had some brilliant advice on here over the last couple of days and hope you can help on another issue please.

On purchasing our Jimny, the salesman stated that the cam was chain driven as we were worried buying a 10 year old Jimny with 92k on the clock even though it is in showroom condition. I have noticed that cam belts are sold on this site and feel we have been duped by the salesman. If this is the case and it’s belt driven, when should the belt of been changed, either by miles or years first.
Thanks
Clint

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2018 21:49 - 04 Jan 2018 21:50 #188050 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Timing belt
The Jimny had two different engines. The early one was a single overhead can with a belt. The later was a double overhead cam with a chain. The even later ones added variable valve timing.

If it's 10 years old then it should be a VVT (double overhead with variable valve timing), hence chain driven.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 04 Jan 2018 21:50 by mlines.

• Clint68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jan 2018 23:13 #188051 by Clint68
Replied by Clint68 on topic Re:Timing belt
Hi Martin, thanks for the reply. I have no idea about the engine, usually the first thing I do when getting a new car is purchase a Haynes manual but you can’t get them for the Jimny. It came with service history and bills for anything it has ever needed but nothing about ever having cam belt or chain replaced. Is what you say about mine being variable timing with a chain 100% ? It’s on a 57 plate making it 11 years old this September. Where would I find out exactly what’s in it?
Regards
Clint

More
05 Jan 2018 03:59 #188052 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Timing belt
It's a 57 plate, it will be the DOHC vvt

Martin

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds