BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Lift Kit shopping list

More
02 Jan 2018 20:06 #187977 by furo
Replied by furo on topic Lift Kit shopping list
When my wide wheels didn't fit I got a set of old stock steel wheels (for free from cameronmike on here) and had them shotblasted and painted black. It wasn't cheap but the end result is awesome, and I reckon they look better than what I had before.

Busta - that looks awesome. I think if I were to replace my 2004 with a newer Jimny I would do what you have done there. Have you done any other modifications?

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2018 22:09 #187979 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Lift Kit shopping list
Mine is 3" trail master love it to bits but if I had my time again I would just do 2" lift ;)
Attachments:

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2018 22:34 #187980 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Lift Kit shopping list

Daniel30 wrote: Mine is 3" trail master love it to bits but if I had my time again I would just do 2" lift ;)

no worries then. The 3" Trail Master springs are in reality only 2" longer than stock springs :)

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2018 22:49 #187981 by Daniel30
So what are the 2"lift then Tom?

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2018 23:19 - 02 Jan 2018 23:32 #187982 by TomDK
The same. Trail Master 3" springs are 368 mm free length. Same goes for 2" petrol springs. 2" diesel springs are 353 mm free length. 3" and 2" diesel springs are made of 13mm wire. Petrol springs are made of 12mm wire.

Standard Jimny front springs are 330 mm free length. So it's actually more like 1.5" shorter than TM springs.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2018 23:32 by TomDK.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2018 23:37 #187983 by Daniel30
Oh OK then confused now why I would need castor correct arms maybe I'm getting my wires crossed then :)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Jan 2018 05:01 #187986 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Lift Kit shopping list
It's not just the free length of the spring its also the wire diameter and number of coils that make a difference. Stock spring wire is 10mm and lift spring wire is 12 13 or even 15mm so it is going to be stronger and compress less from the same starting point with the same load. There are equations that allow it to be calculated but 5am is way too early for that.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel30

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2018 07:29 #187991 by TomDK
But of course.. thought that was obvious.

Spring rate calculators are easily found online and can be a great help when figuring out what springs to choose.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Jan 2018 08:07 #187993 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Lift Kit shopping list
It is to me , I was just posting for clarity for those with a less technical inclination.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Jan 2018 08:16 #187995 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Lift Kit shopping list

11/60 wrote: From how you have described the suspension on yours in the past with the fronts on the back I was expecting a hotrod esque raked nose down stance, but in the picture it's almost level?

Yes, it's quite subtle. My Jimny's have always sat low at the rear anyway and I prefer the level look. It probably helps that the springs on the back are off another used Jimny so will already have a bit of sag.

furo wrote: Busta - that looks awesome. I think if I were to replace my 2004 with a newer Jimny I would do what you have done there. Have you done any other modifications?

2-low switch, home made roof bars. That's it. Works perfectly well for me just how it is! Only thing I will be doing is fitting a 1.6 as and when I get the chance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2018 09:43 #187999 by TomDK

11/60 wrote: It is to me , I was just posting for clarity for those with a less technical inclination.

Yeah.. sorry you're right.

Some (me) tend to forget that ;)

More
03 Jan 2018 10:20 #188001 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Lift Kit shopping list
This is why I like the Trailmaster product, some design thought has gone into it. Other suppliers simply add 3" inches to the standard spring length and call it a 3" lift. This often results in lifts greater than advertised (ie. a 2" lift closer to 3") but the ride and longevity of the lift (springs sagging and bending) is affected.

I have the Trailmaster 3" springs on mine and I am very please with the ride. However I have a lot of weight on the front so it was not quite a 3" lift at the front and they do not do a Diesel spring in 3". I topped it up with a pair of spring spacers to level the car off.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds