BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Expedition tank?

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Oct 2017 12:58 #185564 by Lambert
Expedition tank? was created by Lambert
I know it's been discussed a few years ago with minimal outcome, but is there a simple way of getting a noticeably bigger fuel tank into a Jimny? Having just got back from a fun weekend on the nc500 I found that whilst I didn't actually run out of fuel though one stop saw me with just 2 litre left i was having to stop at every open station to top up which is fine but also ruins the flow of the drive, especially when everyone else in the group is possessed of at least two or three times the range. The other thing is that it leaves one open to having to put all manner of unknown rancid fuel in the car and assume the position when paying for it, rather than getting some nice cheap shell super. First world problems I admit but still more range, more better.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
27 Oct 2017 16:23 #185566 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Expedition tank?
There was some talk of modifying the boot floor recently, that might be a space for a second tank perhaps?

All the australian types just seem to bolt on jerry cans for long range stuff, but a bit impractical (as a first world solution!)

How many miles to a tank on a run like that? and how often do you do runs like that to warrant the work involved?!

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
27 Oct 2017 17:31 #185570 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Expedition tank?
The obvious answer is not as often as i would like. Giving it some death on the twisties up there gets it down to sub 200 miles per tank though on the motorway to get up there its nearer 350 per tank. The main issue wasn't really the availability of fuel more the inconvenience of having to stop so often. Though it was a bit squeaky bum time when one of the planned stops was shut and i had to nurse it another 15 miles with the needle on zero, a jerry can would have been nice there.. I might have to find a man with a tig and get something custom made in ally.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
27 Oct 2017 18:17 #185573 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Expedition tank?
If i go near motorways (70mph) in mine it does about 150 miles max on a tank! the best i got before modifying it was 240 on 215 tyres, how on earth do you get 350 out of it?!

one of them green plastic 5L jerry cans in the boot would suffice for emergencies such as above? otherwise its a lot of welding im afraid!

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2017 19:19 - 27 Oct 2017 19:21 #185575 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Expedition tank?
How about a tank of some description in the boot of the Jim with a pipe to the main tank with a tap on it to top up the main tank, if you see what I mean, surely then you would just need to tap into the original without modifying it...
Last edit: 27 Oct 2017 19:21 by Daniel30.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
27 Oct 2017 19:49 #185576 by Lambert
As far as I am aware you have to have a firewall between the cabin and any fuel tank.

350 is easy if you cruise along below 4k rpm with standard road tyres.

Giving it death seriously impacts that though.

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Oct 2017 00:04 #185581 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Expedition tank?
I usually carry a Red 10 litre "Squat Tank" which i chain down in the rear compartment of the car. That gives me a bit over 100 kilometres range and since it weighs only 10 kgs is easy to hold while emptying into the Jimny. Yep, I'm getting old. With the drums you see on the outside of cars in Oz, only the Green ones may carry water. The Yellow Ones (Diesel) and the Red ones (Petrol) are required to be carried internally in case of collision. Insurance is void in all States and Territories if fuel is carried on the outside of vehicles in Oz. Despite this you often see fuel carried externally. Cops love them, an easy revenue earner. ;)

If you don't want to lift fuel have you considered using a 25 litre outboard motor tank? That would give you heaps of range, is portable and could be manually or electrically pumped via a fuel pump into cars tank whenever required.
They come in all shapes and sizes.

More
29 Oct 2017 10:19 #185614 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Expedition tank?
If you could re-route the exhaust to go straight out the LHS with a smaller back box then you could free up 25-30 litres of space behind the axle. Should be a good local vehicle engineer somewhere that could cobble something up for you that integrates seamlessly with filling and emptying the original tank because the levels would all be similar. Otherwise it's a can in the boot. Assuming you have nobody in the back, a 5l can behind either front seat works easily enough, but obviously filling and emptying is a faff.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
29 Oct 2017 12:36 #185616 by Lambert
That is essentially what I was thinking of doing.

More
30 Oct 2017 17:47 #185650 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Expedition tank?
What's under the seats? quite a bit of room there!

I've actually given some thought to splitting the upper and lower halves of the tank and putting a 2" spacer in there.......also thought of making a new tank in Alloy and having a side exit exhaust.......so many projects!!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 Nov 2017 06:48 #185987 by Lambert
Well, when I was under there last week cleaning i gave the tank a course of looking at. It only drops on one side of the rear propshaft and then short of the bottom of the chassis rails. With a second cross pump like a subaru to lift from the opposite side a minimum of 10 to 15 litres could easily be gained, more if both sides come flush to the rails, suitable guard notwithstanding. Need a man who can tig weld aluminium neatly.

More
12 Nov 2017 15:20 #186123 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Expedition tank?
You probably need someone who just laid 2K on a magnetic folder,edge setter and access to a bead-roller too?

Know anyone?

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds