BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

More
14 Dec 2018 14:31 #198949 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
And another dealer demonstrator fresh off the transporter....

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2018 20:05 #198966 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Going in for my test drive next week, can't wait! :)

More
14 Dec 2018 22:59 #198974 by reedx
Replied by reedx on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
I'm having a test drive tomorrow at 9am.

Colin

More
14 Dec 2018 23:22 #198976 by Gadget

reedx wrote: I'm having a test drive tomorrow at 9am.

Colin

Let us know what you think!

More
15 Dec 2018 13:21 - 15 Dec 2018 13:23 #198989 by reedx

Gadget wrote: Let us know what you think!

It was everything I thought it would be. I've driven over 200k miles in my 110 Defender so the handling characteristics weren't a surprise, though I imagine it could be a bit of a shock for drivers used to "regular" cars. I'd never driven a previous model Jimny so can't make any direct comparisons.

• Looks fantastic. You could see pedestrians and fellow road users wondering what it was
  • Visibility was very good and driving position fine. Remember the Defender comment above though so I'm used to lack of elbow room
  • The seat has no height adjustment. I would have personally preferred it to be a couple inches higher. Maybe a DIY seat rail raising kit could improve this
  • Engine does feel a bit flat, though I don't think I went above 3000rpm. It only had 100 miles on it so could also still be a little tight. Saying that it picked up OK
  • Transmission noise was noticeable, as can be expected
  • Gear change OK. Wasn't as big a throw as I was expecting from some of the reviews I've seen/read. I did miss a couple of changes and it did jump out of 3rd gear once, but that was probably just me not being used to its characteristics
  • Steering OK too. Again users of "normal" cars may not like the feeling though
  • Body roll only really noticeable on changes of direction. I was expecting more front/rear pitching with the very short wheelbase, but again it was OK
  • Switchgear and controls all good. Forgot to try 4WD controls though until I had returned to the dealers - felt positive enough when stationary though!
  • Room for rear passenger was acceptable

Any further questions about things I've missed just ask.

I also got a printout of the official accessory list with pack promotions. Print quality wasn't very good and the text small, but I've scanned and uploaded it to the following link in case it is useful to anybody.

Suzuki Jimny Genuine Accessory List UK

Colin
Last edit: 15 Dec 2018 13:23 by reedx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: facade, Gadget, Bill Portland

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
15 Dec 2018 13:43 #198990 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Had a test drive today as well, Not as thourough a report as above.

Bear in mind im comparing it to my older modified one, but I was pleased with the new one. Easy to drive and comfy. No ball of fire, but much better than the old 1.3 to drive. Heated seats were my fav bit today, but also really pleased that the electric window switch is no longer at knee height :-)

Noticeably smaller than J999MNY

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JYM, Bill Portland

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2018 15:06 #198992 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

Riccy wrote: Had a test drive today as well, Not as thourough a report as above.

Bear in mind im comparing it to my older modified one, but I was pleased with the new one. Easy to drive and comfy. No ball of fire, but much better than the old 1.3 to drive. Heated seats were my fav bit today, but also really pleased that the electric window switch is no longer at knee height :-)

Noticeably smaller than J999MNY

Yeah also used to a big jimny, the size thing bothers me a bit although I still think it looks way better stock than the stock Jimny it's replacing. The size thing is easily fixed though, and that's where the fun begins! Will be a bit of a wait before the stores like Jimnybits etc develop their products, although if we're lucky a few items will be directly transferrable.

I wonder regarding the suspension if the usual suspects (Trailmaster, etc) who've developed Jimny-specific lift kits will be transferrable. I'm sure the dampers will be, question is will the spring seats be same size, and how different will the radius arm geometry be.

More
15 Dec 2018 18:59 #199001 by Gadget
Thanks for the feedback and the scanned accessory list, I've already spent a grand from seeing that! :D

Street pack from mats and rear parking sensors, front grille with Suzuki on it, load area tray, side body mouldings and tow bar and electrics. Kerching!

Colour photos of the accessories are available here: auto.suzuki.gr/photo/master/201809/sxz2g3c1536328343033.pdf
The following user(s) said Thank You: reedx, Bill Portland

More
15 Dec 2018 19:57 #199004 by facade
Replied by facade on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Thanks for the scan, £122 for a new gear knob :lol: . They sell touch up paint for the colours they don't offer too. :whistle:

Be nice if we could actually buy one, maybe the demonstrators will reduce the 11,000 enquiries to less than 600 orders.

The rev counter is on the wrong side! That will take some getting used to :(

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
15 Dec 2018 20:47 #199006 by reedx

Gadget wrote: Colour photos of the accessories are available here: auto.suzuki.gr/photo/master/201809/sxz2g3c1536328343033.pdf

Thanks @Gadget. Good find.

Colin

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2018 21:25 #199007 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Lots of Garnish to choose from :D

More
15 Dec 2018 22:33 - 15 Dec 2018 22:37 #199016 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
General Grabber AT3 have an exact tyre match for the new Jimny...:)

www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=...=Ordern&typ=R-336890
Last edit: 15 Dec 2018 22:37 by Foxtrot. Reason: Spelling

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds