BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Swift 1.6vvt engine into a 2007 vvt jimny project

More
02 Feb 2017 09:13 #177652 by gilburton
I'm too far away from you in Northants.
It's a 2010 engine with 27000 mls and it cost me £400 It's a bare engine but as you have to swap everything over it doesn't matter.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2017 18:55 #177676 by Keithy

gilburton wrote: I'm too far away from you in Northants.
It's a 2010 engine with 27000 mls and it cost me £400 It's a bare engine but as you have to swap everything over it doesn't matter.

Only 135 ish miles....no worries.

I'm looking for one to rebore .5mm to fit some new pistons to....and conrods :D

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2017 20:02 #177685 by TomDK
Seems like none of you have any thought into how this engine puts out more power and torque than the GV equivalent.

It's done entirely with lots of rpms and no low-end torque, which the GV has much more of.

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
02 Feb 2017 21:58 #177696 by Riccy
Good point well made, i went for the swift engine as thats what was avaliable in good condition, low mileage and decent price. Looking at the different specs the m16a VVT from a SX4 would give the best/optimal output as its setup for high torque at low revs, rather than BHP at high RPMs

This is useful, but does annoyingly jump between metric and imperial a lot:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_M_engine

Riccy

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
02 Feb 2017 23:25 #177700 by Keithy
Wifey has the 1.6GV.....bit of a lacklustre engine.....Jimny runs rings round it....even as a 1.3 without a turbo.

M16 while being a little stronger than the M13 isn't as willing to rev and seems a little lacking/uninspiring....that's with the standard 1.3 exhaust manifold which is a little bit crap, might improve with a 4:1.

I think I'll fit a turbo for a little boost.....I'd fit a supercharger but efficiency wins ;-)

More
03 Feb 2017 00:03 #177703 by Busta
TomDK, it's the same engine, same compression ratio, maybe with sightly different cam profiles but that's it. By the time you put on Jimny manifolds and exhaust the difference is going to be quite small. And some of us like revs anyway :)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
05 Feb 2017 18:47 #177761 by Riccy
A thought has occurred regarding braking... or the inadequacy of it in relation to a more powerful engine..

currently i have the standard calipers up front (with the larger centre bore solid discs), and drums at the back. They work, but ain't what i would call great.

so was looking at GV calipers and vented discs at the front, and megane caliper based disc rear conversion. My question is what year/model of GV should i be looking at for the calipers to come from for the front. i think they come in two sizes (larger for the V6), but which should i use? i think the discs need to be enlarged in the centre bore on a lathe for the jimny hubs?

Rear wheel bearings need changed anyway so a good excuse for rear axle rebuild (tho will have to wait till its not so cold!)

help appreciated, as always...

Riccy.

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

More
05 Feb 2017 19:05 #177763 by Keithy
Part number for my front brake pads is Mintex MDB1690..same as my wifes 2005 Vitara..I used vented for the front as the solid discs were overwhelmed.....although with the M16 I probably could have skipped it....way less power than the Turbo M13

At the rear I fitted Peugeot 306 rear calipers as I had some and removed the drums and fitted standard solid jimny front discs....then machined some new mounts in 7075 AL to suit.

I didn't do any re-machining of the discs iirc

Can't remember if I had to bleed the calipers upside down.....there's a picture of the calipers in my build thread here.

More
05 Feb 2017 19:13 #177764 by Keithy

gilburton wrote: I'm too far away from you in Northants.

I just paid £150 for a knackered swift sport engine....VVT no less.....I basically need the block and head....so my mission to have a spare engine is now complete.

If your engine has the throttle body and inlet manifold on then anyone with a 1.3 VVT should have an easy time installing it....otherwise they need to enlarge the inlet orifice(I like that word) and fit the 50mm throttle body and lose the 46mm one....day and night difference!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
06 Feb 2017 20:04 #177799 by Riccy
I think i do have the throttle body for my swift engine and was wondering about trying to use it. i realise theres going to be a few alterations, but what? The aus-zookers link above hinted at using it, but i didnt really find out what was needed and how to do that part.

More
06 Feb 2017 21:41 - 06 Feb 2017 21:43 #177803 by Keithy

Riccy wrote: I think i do have the throttle body for my swift engine and was wondering about trying to use it. i realise theres going to be a few alterations, but what? The aus-zookers link above hinted at using it, but i didnt really find out what was needed and how to do that part.

Hi Riccy, I used a die grinder and removed the Al using the gasket as a guide....serendipitously the gasket had a 50mm centre hole.

I stuffed the inlet with a rag and had at it :D then vacuumed it before removing the rag and after......quite simple.

When researching I came across someone who had to make an adapter plate to fit a throttle body.....not sure what the combination of parts was but the one from a Liana fit straight on mine....and nicely once 2mm was removed all round the centre hole.

Put some dimensions of the Swift throttle body up and I'll compare with the jimny manifold for you.

Just remembered I used the water side from the jimny on the throttle body......pipe pointed the wrong way.......could have warmed it and turned it....laziness made me swap the housing :-)
Last edit: 06 Feb 2017 21:43 by Keithy. Reason: Added information

More
06 Feb 2017 21:45 #177804 by Rhinoman

Riccy wrote: A thought has occurred regarding braking... or the inadequacy of it in relation to a more powerful engine..
Riccy.

It rather depends on what you intend to do with that power. Braking power is relative to weight and speed, the engine is about the same weight and if you aren't going any faster then then you don't need extra braking. The 1.6 is lower revving so with the same gearing the top speed is usually a little lower - I don't think anyone ever really notices because not many modified Jimnys are driven at high speeds. If you are overgeared then you may get some top speed improvement but its unlikely to be as fast as a stock Jimny.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds