BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Swift 1.6vvt engine into a 2007 vvt jimny project

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
14 Jan 2017 08:01 - 22 Jan 2017 18:35 #176776 by Riccy
Hi,

After failing with the rocklobster conversion, i now have my eyes on a engine from a 2010 swift sport, which i believe is a m16a VVT with 125hp/109lb/ft specs.

From reading earlier posts that looks like the one i need for my 2007 m13a VVT jimny. Obviously theres some stuff to swap over, but is it just the engine i need to buy? Also how does the standard gearbox/clutch/exhaust handle the bigger engine, all the same? and finally, apart from fluids and sump gasket, is there anything else i need to buy?

Thanks in advance :-)

Riccy

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 22 Jan 2017 18:35 by Riccy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2017 09:34 #176779 by Keithy
I put the non vvt Liana into my non vvt in a day.....pretty straghtforward.

A couple of pipes to swap over and a few threads to chase(engine mount threads get a little "cruddy" through lack of use)..cam cover needs swapping over..no sump gasket but my recommendation is to use PU sealant (polyurethane).

I used the liana dipstick too.....full level on Liana stick is low level on jimny.....better made stick too.

Looking forward to the result!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
14 Jan 2017 17:14 #176798 by Riccy
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationSounds pretty straight forward then.

I really need to know if the 2010 swift m16a vvt is compatible, as i have a chance at one for a good price locally. Swifts are also specced as higher BHP/torque than a grand vitara (the other donor option), but this is probably somewhat to do with inlet manifold and exhaust arragements, as well as ECU.

This is a link to an australian on ebay thats selling them as a 'kit' from the GV engine...

but i cant find anyone thats done it with my specific combination of swap.

Help appreciated,
Riccy.

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
14 Jan 2017 17:35 #176801 by Riccy
have also found this...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_M_engine#M16A

which suggests that the specs on a grand vitara engine are (slighty) better - 120bhp/115lb/ft - ie more torque, which is what i'm really after anyway.

however, theres not that much difference and its loads more than the 1.3 lump pulling me about at the moment so if it will fit, i'm having that swift engine next weekend ;-)

More
14 Jan 2017 20:16 #176819 by kirkynut
If it works it sounds like an awesome solution to more power.

But, the gearboxes on the early vvt engined Jimnys were known for bearing issues and Jimny transfer boxes are chain driven, not gear. Chains stretch and chatter as a result.

So as far as transfer boxes go, the Rocklobster is great but the new and old gears don't mesh quietly and whine as a result. I think you had other fitment issues, which I can't understand the reasons for.

Rockwatt will polish gears to stop this whine now.

So by adding power and torque, you may kill your gearbox or transfer box.

There is the Trail Gear transfer box gear conversion. This changes some of the gears in the original transfer box. The chain issue remains though and from memory, the high ratio isn't reduced, making road driving on bigger tyres trickier.

So if you can make a Rocklobster with polished gears work, you're laughing!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
15 Jan 2017 01:50 - 15 Jan 2017 01:57 #176824 by zukebob
+1 to all that kirkynut said.

I would also work to confirm that the ebay engine is a VVT. The picture (which I doubt is the actual engine) is non-VVT. More importantly, the donor car is listed as a 2005-2007 Grand Vitara. I don't think those years had the VVT M16. I'm not a Vitara expert but just make sure.

Here is a link to another forum about the engine swap. www.auszookers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f...74feb42273a25bec047b

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 15 Jan 2017 01:57 by zukebob.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
15 Jan 2017 08:29 #176829 by Riccy

kirkynut wrote: If it works it sounds like an awesome solution to more power.

But, the gearboxes on the early vvt engined Jimnys were known for bearing issues and Jimny transfer boxes are chain driven, not gear. Chains stretch and chatter as a result.

So as far as transfer boxes go, the Rocklobster is great but the new and old gears don't mesh quietly and whine as a result. I think you had other fitment issues, which I can't understand the reasons for.

Rockwatt will polish gears to stop this whine now.

So by adding power and torque, you may kill your gearbox or transfer box.

There is the Trail Gear transfer box gear conversion. This changes some of the gears in the original transfer box. The chain issue remains though and from memory, the high ratio isn't reduced, making road driving on bigger tyres trickier.

So if you can make a Rocklobster with polished gears work, you're laughing!

Kirkynut

The problems i had with the rocklobster box were to do with the output of my R72 gearbox (the known baddie), as well as the diff ratio's being different. It all meant that the 1.5 drop in high ended up being more like a 2 or 2.5 drop, hence too much for the 235/75r15 tyres. The noise was a combination of the non-polished gears and props being too tight. Gear noise was expected, props were my fault for measuring badly!

I looked at other transfer box options, but without changing to an earlier R7ME gearbox, none would work. A T-box from an auto would also have too much of a reduction.

The R72 gearbox i have was rebuilt last year with new bearings and new clutch, so should last a while. the chain t-box i have is in good condition, and only done 43k, not that expensive to replace if it gets trashed.

Your correct that more power/torque may kill the boxes. I am mainly wanting the power so its able to sit on A roads and motorways at somewhere near the speed limits. It really struggles on any kind of hill at the moment, towing is a joke! Im not wanting to go red light racing, and dont hit it hard when off road. This makes me think it should survive the increase in power & torque (fingers crossed!).

+1 to all that kirkynut said.

I would also work to confirm that the ebay engine is a VVT. The picture (which I doubt is the actual engine) is non-VVT. More importantly, the donor car is listed as a 2005-2007 Grand Vitara. I don't think those years had the VVT M16. I'm not a Vitara expert but just make sure.

Here is a link to another forum about the engine swap. www.auszookers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f...74feb42273a25bec047b

The Australian ebay link was for information, the engine im looking at is actually from a 2010 UK swift, which should be a M16a MPFI VVT, the same spec as the M13aa MPFI VVT i have, except displacement and output power/torque.

Thanks for the link, that has been helpful on the research. i couldnt see any reports of people killing gearbox/t-box on there, which gives me hope!

Still be good to know if anyone on here as actually done this swap, or is familiar with a 2010 swift engine bay.

Thanks
Riccy.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
16 Jan 2017 18:23 #176884 by Riccy
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationwell, bit the bullet and bought it. pick it up on sunday from hartlepool. Nice run out with the trailer on then.

This is the car its out of:

Riccy

More
  • Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
16 Jan 2017 18:48 #176888 by Riccy
ooo thats a good idea! will see if he still has them/what they are like... cheers :-)

• jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jan 2017 19:12 #176891 by jim
Exciting stuff some more power would be great, good luck with the conversion.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jan 2017 09:43 #176947 by Daniel30
Plenty of picks please B)

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds