BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

carrying capacity and long haul drives.

More
24 Sep 2016 14:58 #172784 by gilburton
Probably be cheaper/ easier to fly over here and buy a cheap estate/people carrier and either scrap it when you get over there or buy a LHD vehicle and register it then sell??
You could also save a bit by sleeping in it on the journey lol.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2016 15:23 #172785 by gilburton
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationLong MOT and cheaper than a trailer lol

• Antelope
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2016 16:16 #172786 by Antelope
Replied by Antelope on topic carrying capacity and long haul drives.
That's not a bad idea actually. It would have to be scrapped, as no one would buy a large engined car like that anyway. Which would be a shame, but it is 17 years old I suppose. Expensive in ferries both ways rather than one. And very thirsty I should think. Have to write off both the airfare and the cost of the car too, whereas a jimny roofrack is mine or highly saleable here.

They do 22mpg. So 2000 miles will cost take about 420 litres at av cost of 1.2 a litre makes about 500 quid in fuel. Ferries about 300 plus 200 so another 500. Airfare 200. Accom, 350 (7 nights assuming i don't sleep in the car). plus cost of car 700. So about 2500 written off.

Whereas jimny and roofrack would be 320 roofrack. 34mpg in the jim makes 260 litres or 312 quid times 2 (return trip) makes about 600, plus say 250 and 150 on ferries (shorter). Accom 12 nights 600. So about 1900 quid. And I get to keep the roofrack which I could sell so the 'written off' value reduces to about 1600. Saving 900 quid. But at the cost of a load of my stuff. Is that stuff worth 900 quid? Probably not! Very rough figures but probably ballpark.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Sep 2016 17:25 #172789 by Lambert
At that point would it be possible to get a friend or acquaintance to put the contents into a shipping crate and have it couriered to you, a pair of meter cube boxes can't cost 1600 quid to get across Europe ?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Sep 2016 17:31 #172790 by Lambert
Just a rough quote but parcel monkey want 184 quid to send 100kg from uk to Greece via DHL. Much better than arsing on driving with a rack or trailers

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Antelope
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2016 17:53 #172793 by Antelope
Unfortunately that's difficult. It' all personal possessions stuffed into cardboard boxes and the like and is distributed across two sites. Estimated volume between 2 and 3 cubic metres. Quoted cost from removals firms between 1000 and 1300 quid. Cost goes down if you use smaller boxes, but some stuf won't fit in smaller boxes.

It's one of those problems to which there is no good answer. Just have to take the hit and get on with it.

More
28 Sep 2016 08:38 #172931 by BGBrit
Hello Antelope, I personally would go the route of a large but not overweighted roof top box and fit the heavy stuff in the rear and passenger seat area too, if your driving alone which is the way I went across the Eu.
I have a question for you,,, I'm thinking of travelling through to Greece next spring and taking a ferry to Italy, as you have researched ferries from Grece to Italy, have you any advice for me, which is best port etc and ferry company and of course the cheapest. I'll be driving south from Bulgaria through to the Adriatic staying in Greece as I don't want to go through Albania.

Cheers
Tony.

More
28 Sep 2016 08:49 #172932 by gilburton
Do you know "keithy" has replied to your wanted ad re "wanted roofrack"??
He's waiting for a reply if you haven't responded already.

• Antelope
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Sep 2016 09:16 #172934 by Antelope
Hi Tony

As it happens, that's precisley the conclusion I'm reaching. I'll have to discard some stuff to do it, but I'm sure that won't be a problem. The only way I can get round this trailer registration problem is by buying one new from a dealer in Athens, and I'm not sure I want to spend that much. Anyway, having gone for a long drive recently and noticing how the Jimny copes with hills (Crete is quite mountainous) I'm not sure pulling a trailer acros Europe would be good.

I was looking at ferries the other day. You can get a ferry from Patras to either Brindisi, Biri or Venice. As I fancy the drive up Italy, I'm opting for the southern most of those, namely Brindisi. Boats leave either early evening (so an overnighter) or early morning (7am). The trip is about 16 hours, so if you overnight and intend to drive the next day, you may want a cabin, and they're not cheap. Alternatively, a cheap hotel in Patras and Brindisi.... which I favour.

This site is quite useful as all carriers (i think) are listed: www.go-ferry.com/ferry-from-to-patras.html .I'll let you know if I learn more.

Interested to see your route. Despite planning on a ferry and Italy both ways, I am intrigued by the idea of taking the longer route. Bulgaria uis supposed to be beautiful. And I completely understand your reluctance to cross Albania. But what are your feelings no Roumania?

• torchy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2016 10:07 #172973 by torchy
Replied by torchy on topic carrying capacity and long haul drives.
Done it a couple of times from southern Spain with 2 hounds in the back plus stuff. It gets very cosy and I needed the padded back rests. Had tow bar and roof rack which didn't do anything for the fuel guzzling but it's definitely doable.

• Antelope
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2016 10:13 #172975 by Antelope
yes these cars can get thirsty it seems when they have to do any work.

More
29 Sep 2016 13:27 #172981 by BGBrit
Antelope, My route is from Byala Bulgaria to Igoumenitsa, Thesprotia, Greece, type that into AA route planner and you'll see my route. There's no need for you to go through Romania, it's well out of you're way, bad roads too. (However, going through EU countries, may be easier, Croatia and a few others can keep you busy at the check-points sometimes)
Your route would be Athens to Sofia if going through Bulgaria and on to Serbia- Croatia etc. But personally, I'd take the Brindisi Italy route that way it's shorter and still in the EU.

Thanks for the web-site I'll check it out... Good luck which ever way you chose, it's a bugger making decisions.
Tony.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds