BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Oil or gas??

• Tommy-Boy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2016 08:05 #168006 by Tommy-Boy
Oil or gas?? was created by Tommy-Boy
Hi everyone.

So i have owned my little Jimmy for just under a year and overall i love it. It has been great fun to own and maintenance has been very acceptable and easy to do. These cars are so well designed and relatively easy to work on. So after the MOT i have just replaced the front discs and pads along with an offside king pin bearing. This now alows me to start some modification in terms of a lift kit.

I'm looking for a 2" spring kit as cheap as possible. So with a few kits on the market the one think that now stumps me is the 2" oil filled kit. These kits are over £100 cheaper than the pro-comp ones is that for a reson?

Can anyone advise or justify the extra cost for the pro-comp kit?

Cheers
Tommy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2016 08:25 #168008 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Oil or gas??
Both types of shock are oil filled. The gas pressurises the shock which raises the boiling point of the oil so they can take more continuous punishment but are you going to be continually thrashing the suspension?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Tommy-Boy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2016 18:20 #168037 by Tommy-Boy
Replied by Tommy-Boy on topic Re:Oil or gas??
Well that depends on the defenition of "thrash"

IMO..... No. Its for occasional daliy drive and mostly across the feilds and in some mud, so it would be light off road use and rarley up to its guts in mud.

So how are the pro-comp sets justifying the extra money? The cheaper oil kits i'v seen are £280 as opposed to £380, thats a canny diffrence in price?

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2016 21:05 #168041 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re:Oil or gas??
Why going for as cheap as possible?

Pro-Comp shocks may be okay, but they're certainly not what you'd call good quality shock. They're cheap shocks someone has worked out fit with lift springs.

If you just want cheap, go with spring and shock extenders. Then you still retain some sort of decent suspension.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Jun 2016 04:54 #168051 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Oil or gas??

Tommy-Boy wrote: Well that depends on the defenition of "thrash"

IMO..... No. Its for occasional daliy drive and mostly across the feilds and in some mud, so it would be light off road use and rarley up to its guts in mud.

So how are the pro-comp sets justifying the extra money? The cheaper oil kits i'v seen are £280 as opposed to £380, thats a canny diffrence in price?

For that money I would be looking at some decent tyres as they will be a greater improvement for the ability of your car than some cheap and nasty suspension package that will do nothing good for the handling of the car.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Tommy-Boy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jun 2016 06:23 #168056 by Tommy-Boy
Replied by Tommy-Boy on topic Oil or gas??
I have some superb Kuhmo MT tyres already on. I'm now just trying to lift a couple of inches to get some clerance underneath.

The pro-comp shocks cant be that bad? Alot of poeple use them and they a readily avialable unlike alternatives..... That i'm aware of.

So could standard shocks be fitted, my rear two are shot anyway so will need replacing, with shock spacers and new spacer springs without compromising handeling to get the same result? If so how do you space the front shocks? I'v never seen front spacers before.

Cheers for the input on this fellas. Appreciate it!!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
06 Jun 2016 06:56 #168058 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Oil or gas??
The first thing against pro comps is they are made of cheese grade materials, the shafts bend,the mounting points shear off, they rust badly. Secondly they are valved for some unknown American truck of indeterminate weight and consequently the compression and rebound are not suited to the Jimny. A lot of people smoke but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. Same with pro comp. If you are determined to lift the car save some more money and get something decent like the trail master or similar. Buy cheap buy twice.

The following user(s) said Thank You: gusthegorilla

• Tommy-Boy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jun 2016 16:59 #168098 by Tommy-Boy
Replied by Tommy-Boy on topic Oil or gas??
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI agree about buying cheap and buying twice, but jeees that trailmaster kit is over £500.... I didnt even pay that for the car. Lol

Whilst i'm sure your right in regards to the quality i just cant justify £500 on a modification to a car that gets used twice a week.

Thanks for the advice but with that in mind dare i ask what you think of this kit on ebay?

Item number 281973398262

(I cant seem to link off my phone)

• wombat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jun 2016 18:06 #168106 by wombat
Replied by wombat on topic Oil or gas??
. I'm now just trying to lift a couple of inches to get some clerance underneath.

Lifting the suspension will not give you any more ground clearance, the only way to do that is to fit bigger tyres/ and/ or wheels, with all the associated gearing and clearance problems :) :)

More
06 Jun 2016 19:23 #168113 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Oil or gas??
I have no idea of the quality of those shocks but it sounds like a reasonably well thought out kit. Notably, they are using the same spring rate as standard so you actually gain some off-road performance!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
06 Jun 2016 19:49 #168117 by Lambert
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Tommy-Boy wrote: I agree about buying cheap and buying twice, but jeees that trailmaster kit is over £500.... I didnt even pay that for the car. Lol

Whilst i'm sure your right in regards to the quality i just cant justify £500 on a modification to a car that gets used twice a week.

Thanks for the advice but with that in mind dare i ask what you think of this kit on ebay?

Item number 281973398262

(I cant seem to link off my phone)

You could not pay me to put that on my car.

If the springs are made by a company who supply F1 and wrc then why not name them directly? Surely if the dampers were specific to a Jimny they should not require modifications to the mounting points of the car? Or are they just some with similar fittings that may fit? Then there's the wording of the actual description, I know eBay is not renowned for the literary prowess of its seller descriptions but it's enough to make me wonder what level of service and professionalism I could expect. Also what is the bit about ringing for a discount?

Sorry but I really wouldn't be indulging that. Go to one of the reputable suppliers on here that way you will get a suitable product not just a collection of unbranded and unproven components that may like as not cause some potentially serious issues down the line.

I'm not try to teach you how to suck eggs but if something sounds too good to be true it usually is.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
06 Jun 2016 19:55 #168118 by Lambert
Oh and yes I really am that sceptical about everything.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds