BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What did you do to your jimny today?

• Elikratos
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2018 13:38 #190813 by Elikratos
Replied by Elikratos on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Time to become an emu.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stumpjumper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2018 17:26 #190818 by Stumpjumper
Replied by Stumpjumper on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Nice work, good finish. All I did was take off my rear prop to make it easier to paint the boot floor.

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2018 22:50 #190826 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic What did you do to your jimny today
I had every intention of changing the gearbox oil but got waylaid by a siezing brake caliper.
While under the car i found the gearbox drain plug wet with oil which i presume accounts for my stiff gear change.
I found what i think was the filler plug which is a hexagonal nut/plug high up in the tunnel, i ran out of time to tackle this job which turned out to be a good thing as the oil i've got is gl4-gl5 compatible and after reading previous postings i now believe only gl4 for the gearbox is acceptable.
Am i correct and can i use the gl4-gl5 in the diffs as i have 5ltrs of the stuff.

More
24 Mar 2018 23:01 #190827 by Max Headroom
I fitted some T10 LED 'bulbs' in my number plate lamps that I got from eBay, but I wasn't too impressed. They were described on eBay as "Super Bright" but in actual fact although they gave a nice white light, they were more like Super-dim compared to the ones I had on my SAAB.

It's only a style, but I like the look of the white number-plate LEDs and was disappointed with the eBay ones, so while I was at the Restoration Show at the NEC today, I bought some different ones from THIS Company . and Holy Cow! these are seriously good!

Photos show the two types fitted together for comparison; the L/H one is the one from the NEC and the R/H one is the dim eBay one...

Followed by the photo of both LEDs from Dynamo Regulator Conversions

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Attachments:

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2018 23:08 #190828 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic What did you do to your jimny today

Max Headroom wrote: I fitted some T10 LED 'bulbs' in my number plate lamps that I got from eBay, but I wasn't too impressed. They were described on eBay as "Super Bright" but in actual fact although they gave a nice white light, they were more like Super-dim compared to the ones I had on my SAAB.

It's only a style, but I like the look of the white number-plate LEDs and was disappointed with the eBay ones, so while I was at the Restoration Show at the NEC today, I bought some different ones from THIS Company . and Holy Cow! these are seriously good!

Photos show the two types fitted together for comparison; the L/H one is the one from the NEC and the R/H one is the dim eBay one...

Followed by the photo of both LEDs from Dynamo Regulator Conversions

Have you had any guarantee with these leds cos i'm sick of changing them in my other car, they don't last 5mins.

More
24 Mar 2018 23:39 - 24 Mar 2018 23:41 #190831 by Max Headroom
I've dealt with Dynamo Regulator Conversions before; they cater for serious vintage cars and classics etc and all their products are top notch however, I'm finding with LEDs, that there is an awful lot of cheap, and I mean 'cheap and nasty' (as opposed to 'cheap and cheerful') stuff coming into the UK from China.
Unfortunately with LEDs I think its a case of 'you get what you pay for' - these LEDs I got from Dynamo Conversions did not come cheap at £4 each, but I'm very confident that they will last. If they don't I will let you know; but I'm certain that they will based on my experience with this company's other products.

Take a look at the attached photo - the Chinese thing has two thin wires coming out of it, but the new ones have a decent metal connection, and even come boxed (although without any manufacturers name), and although the bulb part is opaque, the amount of light emitted from it is amazing.

The ones in my SAAB number plate lasted years but they were a 'festoon' type bulb, and although I bought those on eBay, they were seriously bright.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Mar 2018 23:41 by Max Headroom.

More
24 Mar 2018 23:59 #190833 by helijohn

Riccy wrote:

Gosh for a split second I thought I was seeing things.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
Attachments:

More
25 Mar 2018 00:09 #190834 by helijohn

facade wrote: Took the heater motor out.... oiled the end bearing, and put it back. Seems quiet at the moment.....

I've had a few electric motors where the shaft is just in a cheap bush thingy. Eventually they need lubricating. Worst I had was a central heating fan motor used to keep us awake at night. Oiling only brought short term relief so I tried molyslip type of grease and it did the trick. Now I always use it first. Electric drills, fan motors etc. etc.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
25 Mar 2018 10:36 #190844 by Darthblaker7474

Scimike wrote: No 100% today, but over the last few weeks I have:
Removed the rear seats and made a flat load area. Can't take credit for this, got the idea off this forum.

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Retained a hinged access to my jack

Upgraded my stereo to a mp3 Sony which required new facia. January bundle package from Halfords for £155 fitted including stereo, facia and harness adapters etc. Also fitted new front and rear speakers.

Fitted new Witter tow bar, nice piece of kit.
Tinted my rear windows, bling.
Tested how to show pictures on forum, seems to work.

Where'd you get the clips from to hold the wheel-jack winder?... or whatever it's called

• Stumpjumper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2018 15:38 #190854 by Stumpjumper
Replied by Stumpjumper on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Finished hammerite-ing the rear floor. Stiff neck tomorrow.....
Attachments:

More
25 Mar 2018 15:44 #190855 by Scimike
Where'd you get the clips from to hold the wheel-jack winder?... or whatever it's called

They are call "Tool Clips" and the ones I used are 6mm black plastic coated. Ebay was the only source I could find, my local hardware store did not go that small. Think I paid £4.99 inc postage for 5 clips, used 3 clips in the end.

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darthblaker7474

More
25 Mar 2018 17:37 #190857 by jackonlyjack
A quick trip north to see my mate Keithy
And finish the installation of my TG gears

All new gears inside
Hopefully good weather for next weekend then i can fit and give the new low ratio a spin
Thanks Keithy for the help :)

Jack
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.387 seconds