BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Reason for low roof rack limit?

More
19 Nov 2018 19:26 #197808 by Bill Portland
Is the 30kg per bar or total?

I have a 31kg kayak, should be ok?

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2018 20:38 #197818 by Scimike
I believe its 30kg total. The roof rails on a Jimny are not that strong, more for show in my humble opinion. That said it should be fine with 31kg on them as if they are rated at 30kg they will have a safety margin above this. However its your call to exceed the 30kg limit as Suzuki must have put it there for a reason.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Nov 2018 04:20 #197826 by Lambert
Don't forget to factor in the weight of any additional support structure like cross bars.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Nov 2018 21:42 - 20 Nov 2018 21:44 #197870 by kirkynut
I wonder if they kept it low to pass the old elk test with it loaded. Remember when the old SJ famously failed it when it was a bit of a farce?

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum?view=topic&catid=6&id=61191

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 20 Nov 2018 21:44 by kirkynut.

More
21 Nov 2018 07:13 #197881 by facade
If you do put something big and light up there, and it acts like a sail/wing it will break the plastic ends and pull the whole lot off when you drive at speed.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
21 Nov 2018 18:01 #197933 by Riccy
I did that (or similar)...

Strapped some old plastic twinwall roofing sheets to the top. no wider than the car but nearly as long as it. OK at low speeds, but anything over 30 set the board off flapping up and down, which in turn moved the whole car up/down. very scary :laugh:

oddly though the plastic bars/feet never broke, despite being repeatedly overloaded or used as above

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
21 Nov 2018 18:40 #197940 by Bill Portland
I'm hoping the new Jimny will have an increased load limit.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds