BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny crankshaft pulley repair?

• Orangeherald
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2012 17:52 #46903 by Orangeherald
Replied by Orangeherald on topic Jimny crankshaft pulley repair?
You would need to drill and tap, and thats longer winded. Of course weld wont come loose either! ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Orangeherald
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2012 22:17 #50044 by Orangeherald
Time for a report on how this modification is performing. Only one minor problem, and that was my fault. I did not do the bolt up tight enough on the pulley and it loosened a bit, allowing oil to leak past the seal. All tight and cleaned up now, and no other troubles. Up to now, 1200 miles covered. No vibration, no broken crankshaft or anything else. Pins intact and pulley still running true. Those miles were about 95% road work with a little 60-65mph, much at about 50 across country and some town work. The rest has been around a farm, along green lanes which have plenty of mud filled holes, and across stubble, so it has been tested in a variety of conditions.

• Orangeherald
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2013 22:24 #59776 by Orangeherald
Just a quick update. Nothing to report at all! Few thousand more miles and no problems, all still working as it should. I almost dare say this is a cure! :whistle:

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2013 23:31 #59788 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic Jimny crankshaft pulley repair?
Well done what no snapped crankshaft HaHa :laugh: we never used to have any of this crap years ago dual mass Harmonic crank dampers so why do we need it now just another way of screwing money out of you and more to go wrong

• Orangeherald
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2013 17:30 #60141 by Orangeherald
Bygones days of simplicity! Some things are better, no more carbs to go out of tune and balance, points to wear out, distributor caps to fail etc. But my old mate who has just spent a fortune getting a solid flywheel in his Rav4 so it goes along again has another point of view!
Anyway, I am sure some other bit of built in obsolescence will get me, but so far so good. :P

• Orangeherald
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2013 14:42 #74669 by Orangeherald
Nearly 10k miles, still working! ;)

• Orangeherald
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2014 14:00 #111816 by Orangeherald
Another update. 20k miles, still running fine. I have a suspicion it will go on now until the whole car dies!

• Orangeherald
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2017 13:14 #178500 by Orangeherald
Final report on the repaired pulley. While checking I spotted I needed a new alternator belt. Watching the pulley at tickover I saw it was running ever so slightly out of true. Time to replace it. On removal I noted that two of the welds had fractured. It was still complete and felt solid so failure was not going to be fast and catastrophic. I assume the very slight mismatch between hole diameter and pins allowed enough movement to fracture the welds eventually, but the pins remained in situ. It lasted 45000 miles, no problems noted. However the new pulley runs a little quieter. An interesting experiment, but I would only recommend it as a temporary repair until a new pulley could be fitted. The new one is not the genuine Suzuki, but a German made one. The rubber layer seems neater and thinner. Time will tell if it lasts as well or better than the factory part!

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2017 19:26 #178565 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Jimny crankshaft pulley repair?
Brilliant experiment and well engineered. And thanks for the updates. But I believe this only proves that a flexible pulley is needed and it is there as a sacrificial item to save the crankshaft. It seems there is no set figure, time or use for the failings and sometimes the only indication is a belt going or screaming or in some instances catastrophic failure, mostly without warning. At least the screaming belt gives you time to fix it prorerly!

• Orangeherald
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2017 21:22 #178573 by Orangeherald
Yes, thats what I reckon. I am sure that it was made with rubber in it for a reason. The G13B had a different design of pulley, without rubber I think. Did they learn something there, or is the later engine different in its behaviour? Who knows. I proved only that I got away with it for a long time, but maybe one day there would have been an expensive noise! If there is any useful lesson in this I suggest it is to watch the pulley at tickover now and then. If it starts to run sightly out of true, its time for a new one. Ignoring it will be more expensive.

More
27 Feb 2017 08:28 #178580 by mlines

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Feb 2017 11:12 #178587 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Jimny crankshaft pulley repair?
That is correct. The G13BB is just a normal metal pulley. Obviously the M13A is a lot different even though they are nearly the same cc ( M 13A is 4cc bigger). The dual cam being the obvious visual difference but the crank design for some reason needed dynamic balance, at what is not known to the general public, rpm that makes the rotating mass unstable enough to cause vibration. A lot of gas turbine engines suffer the same in that there are certain rev ranges that are to be avoided to stabilise the eng at. Obviously they transit Ok through them but do not allow them to stabilise at in operation.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds