BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Recommended 205/70/15 tyres

• little jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Aug 2011 13:20 #20280 by little jimny
Recommended 205/70/15 tyres was created by little jimny
Having established that the standard Bridgestone Duellers are probably not going to be up to much if we get as much snow this winter as last winter what tyres would you guys recommend? Nearly all my driving is on road, just need something that can cope with heavy snow and ice if we get it. The ability to stop and go round corners is just as important to me as the ability to get going in the first place!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Aug 2011 13:41 #20282 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: Recommended 205/70/15 tyres
Sounds much like my situation a month ago.

I went for the General Grabber AT2, like many on here!

They are only available in the 205/75/15 size, but makes no arch trimming is needed. I didn't have to modify my mud flaps either. Fuel consumption seems to be pretty much the same. There is a small amount of road noise, a slight whir... but you have to be listening for it!

They also look great! Get a bit of armour all on them and they really stand out!
Available for just over £60 a tyre... or a bit more fitted

• little jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Aug 2011 15:48 #20291 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic Re: Recommended 205/70/15 tyres
Thanks Adam - they look really good on yours. Where can you get them for £60? All the usual online places I tried are about £80-90

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Aug 2011 17:26 - 13 Aug 2011 17:28 #20298 by adamatdraycott
Just looked at the place i bought mine from (local to where i work, and ended up being the cheapest!) they have now got stock of the new Grabber AT for £66 or the old AT2 for £74!

So they have put the price up of the AT2 by more than £10!
I paid £313 for 5 - £62.60 each

Might be worth going for the new AT's... they don't look quite so aggressive and more 'road friendly'
Not sure if anyone else has gambled on the new tread

I was drawn in by the white side wall writing ;)

Link to AT
www.tyretraders.com/tyreInformation%7CIt...R1597TGRABBERAT.html

Link to AT2
www.tyretraders.com/tyreInformation%7CIt...N20575R1597TAT2.html
Last edit: 13 Aug 2011 17:28 by adamatdraycott.

More
13 Aug 2011 18:05 #20308 by Halford
yeh it looks like the traders have put the AT2 prices back up ready for the rush to get the last ones available - we got the timing just right Adam ;)

that being said - I'm surprised how cheap the new AT is, by all accounts it's supposed to be better than the AT2 on wet tarmac, and it's quieter (not that I have any issues with the AT2's). If I were you Steve, I think I'd jump at the new AT's for that price, as I'm sure the price will go up when all the other brands fail to meet the new EU noise regs.

More
13 Aug 2011 21:30 #20316 by mcjimny
To repeat what i've bored people with on here before with plenty of times. The AT2's were the single best value tyres i've ever used and really suited the jimny.
I see no reason why the new AT's won't perform as well or better, my only criticism is in terms of them not looking as aggressive as the at2's.
The slight increase in size isn't a major problem either.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Aug 2011 05:28 #20324 by adamatdraycott
The bigger size has actually corrected my speedo, and it now reads exactly the same as the satnav

More
14 Aug 2011 14:07 #20341 by Halford
yeh and you get a 10mm lift :woohoo: :S

• little jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2011 15:14 #20386 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic Re: Recommended 205/70/15 tyres
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Whilst browsing the various online tyre sites I spotted Insa Turbo Rangers in the correct 205/70/15 size at a more wallet friendly price. Has anyone got any experience of these?

More
15 Aug 2011 15:56 #20388 by mcjimny
They're BFG copies so the tread pattern itself is proven but i doubt they will last as long of course but then you're not paying a fortune either. The jimny tends to be quite good on tyres really, if you watch the pressures too as they tend to wear the shoulders easily if they roll around a bit. Once i fitted my grabbers i just had to corner slower to prevent too much roll for this reason, they've still got enough road miles left in them but they don't cut it in the mud anymore.

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2011 16:48 #20391 by adamatdraycott
What pressures would you recommend in the AT2 mcjimny?

When i had them fitted, they put 25 in all of them... and to be honest they feel okay at this

More
15 Aug 2011 17:37 #20393 by mcjimny
I run all my cars regardless at halfway between normal and fully laden factory recommenations. I found that the jimny tended to lose pressure - not dramatically like a slow puncture but i would check both my cars and the jimny would need a good few lbs in whereas my focus would maybe need a lb or 2 if any. Usually the back corner would give it away on roundabouts, i could feel it roll more.
They didn't like getting hot either, i hammered it to work a couple of times and they smelt really hot when i pulled up - strange as they are supposed to be rated at 130mph i think.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds