BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Airbags and off roading

• bertbuckie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2011 09:02 #10317 by bertbuckie
Airbags and off roading was created by bertbuckie
Does anything need to be done to the airbags to stop them going off if you offroad?
The other day when I went out there were some pretty hefty bangs and knocks etc..... would this not set them off in a jimny ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gazert
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2011 09:26 #10319 by gazert
Replied by gazert on topic Re: Airbags and off roading
It takes a massive impact to set bags off.
Being a copper I have seen cars in some states where I was surprised that they have not deployed!

More
25 Jan 2011 09:38 #10320 by ooky_123
Would be suprised if you manage to set an airbag off whilst offroading. Ive never managed to do it in ours. However now I have removed the passenger airbag and converted the "hole" into a shelf and also removed the airbag control module from under the central console. (if you do that, remember to tell yoru insurance company)

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• bertbuckie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2011 09:43 #10322 by bertbuckie
Replied by bertbuckie on topic Re: Airbags and off roading
tbh I was just curious, ive never set off an airbag in a collision.....however I didnt have many cars with them lol
just curious because some of the bumps yesterday were mental

More
25 Jan 2011 09:45 #10323 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: Airbags and off roading
My airbagged 2003 Jimny has been heavily off-roaded since it was 6 weeks old (receipts show KAP converted it very quickly after it was sold). There has not been any problems with the Airbags since i have owned it (at least 3 years) and that includes some fairly aggressive off-roading.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• bertbuckie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2011 09:53 #10324 by bertbuckie
Replied by bertbuckie on topic Re: Airbags and off roading
Thanks all :)
just didnt want to get her ready to try offroad to hit the first bump and get a face full of airbag lol...... I'd never live it down!

More
25 Jan 2011 10:27 #10329 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Re: Airbags and off roading
I crashed my JImny. Hard enough to break bones in my foot, and the airbags didn't deploy.
If you bump a JImny off-road hard enough to deploy the airbags, then I think you would be glad they deployed.

More
25 Jan 2011 16:53 #10342 by Johnniehec
Bert,
I think I read somewhere they'd only go off over 20mph and under mechanical impact to the body/chassis (don't know how that would be calculated) so they're not likely to go off when the wheels hit something. However if you were doing 20mph off road and hit somethink you'd be glad if they did deploy!!
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

More
25 Jan 2011 19:08 #10351 by kirkynut
I have slightly bent one of the tubular box sections of my winch bumper as the tree refused to move over - the airbag didn't deploy - so I think you have to be pretty nutty to set one off.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds