BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Off Road day :)

• bertbuckie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2011 14:39 #10183 by bertbuckie
Off Road day :) was created by bertbuckie
Well I went to an offroad day out today, a local club for all 4x4 vehicles.
I was made very welcome by everyone and was passenger in a disco for 3 stages of the event ( then I went home in need of food and a toilet lol )
Really enjoyed it and spoke to a fellow member on here about his mods etc, very capable vehicle for all it had done to it, impressed :)
Also there was a KAP suzuki there.

Pics available here:
s749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/birtwistle/23-1-11%20BORDC/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bertbuckie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2011 14:43 #10184 by bertbuckie
Replied by bertbuckie on topic Re: Off Road day :)
Forgot to say, the pics really dont do the hills justice......believe me they were bloody steep lol

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2011 15:03 #10186 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Off Road day :)
The blue jimny pickup was for sale back in March in Halifax and we put an offer in on it but he turned us down.
Rang us back 6 months later to see if we were still interested but we had bought ours by then.
It had twin winches but no rocklobster or difflocks.

• bertbuckie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2011 15:12 #10188 by bertbuckie
it died today lol
no front wheel drive on the 3rd event.
Nice bloke that has it, cracking looking motor as well - very nimble through the courses :)
the sj410 killed its clutch as well
and the disco i was passenger in..... on the 2nd stage i heard a strange crunching noise and thought nothing of it..... 20 mins later the owner asked me if i saw anything different about it...... the front light fell out and we ran over it lol - nice to see everyone was still smiling after the problems tho..... you need a sense of humour to do this I guess lol

• bertbuckie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2011 15:19 #10189 by bertbuckie
I was tempted to try and drive up a small hill at the side of the event and take a photo for an avatar pic as well I have to admit lmfao - I will just wait until I modify her a little and then do the real thing tho I think........
Also I have to admit there were quite a few occasions during the courses my rs was twitching haha

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2011 15:28 #10190 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: Off Road day :)
The hills NEVER look as big on a pic though haha!

• bertbuckie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2011 15:36 #10192 by bertbuckie
Tell me about it lol.... I couldnt climb up half of them ( but I do have a dodgy knee )
Really good morning out tho, I cant wait untill I have the money to sort mine up a bit ( and have a bit spare for when I break something )
I was honestly shocked by what the vehicles were capable of, when I looked at the first course I thought......aye right, like "£$% anyone will get through that! - and 9/10 did :D
Cant recomend it enough to anyone - but dont do what I did and turn up with a fleace, trainers and a hat...... needed a flipping survival suit it was so cold hahaha ( and I dont usually feel the cold! ) - ohhh, and next time Im taking food as well....gutted I messed 2 of the events :( - if the wife had come there would have been plenty food/clothes etc but I left before she was up so had to try and dress myself and it all went horribly wrong haha

• mkay
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2011 20:50 #10254 by mkay
Replied by mkay on topic Re: Off Road day :)
it would be nice if they would put on a car ferry from wick to aberdeen. id love to come down but going via land would be almost five hours id guess!

do they ever do any events towards inverness?

• bertbuckie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2011 07:44 #10269 by bertbuckie
I dont think so, Im not a member as of yet so not sure but think its all aberdeenshire

More
24 Jan 2011 15:17 #10278 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic Re: Off Road day :)
MKay, have a look at www.highland4wheeldriveclub.moonfruit.com I used to be a member 20 something years ago used to have joint meetings with the now defunct Deeside 4X4 club. I remember a couple of excelent meetings at Cannich. The are a very active club and I think run separate meetings for modified and non modified motors.
Bert,
Glad to see you yesterday some great photos, good to see you took some of the lesser vehicles not only the Suzukis!!:lol:

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

• bertbuckie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2011 20:03 #10295 by bertbuckie
Hahaha, theres an abundance of zuki pics I know :D - but I loved some of the 90's :)
What was the strange tractor type 4x4 that only did a bit of 1 run? ( I think he did 1 anyhow )
Did you get a snow plough? lol
If you have any pics could you also link me to them please.....gutted I went home and missed 2 events but needs must :(
Do you ever take the loon out with you ?

More
25 Jan 2011 17:17 #10346 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic Re: Off Road day :)
The tractor type machine was basically a standard 1980 ish range rover chassis, they'd taken the body off, put a seat on it and built a cage and fabbed a bonnet, they got it going again and it ran a couple of sections after lunch.

Attachment CIMG2272.JPG not found

We did the other two sections in the boggy bit at the other side of the quarry then ran one of them the other way and went back and ran one of the first ones the other way so I'm sorry to say you missed another four sections.
I only just got the photos off our camera today, all 175 of them plus three short vids! I think he was hoping the camera would overheat and keep his hands warm. I'll get some of them posted somewhere.
Club rules are passengers must be 14 or over and he's only just 12 so he's a bit miffed. We did a joint trial with the Edzell club last year and only found out after that they don't have that rule so he was real miffed that day!! The consensus of opinion was that the poly pipe seen in the top left hand corner of this pic (Dave in his SJ bottom RHS)

Attachment CIMG2194.JPG not found

although the perfect diameter was just too thick to be a viable snow plough!!
PS I took the drivers side plastic sill trim off on one of the sections, I wanted it off anyway to weld the sills for the MOT and am looking to replace it with something stronger!!

Attachment CIMG2298.JPG not found

Attachment CIMG2263.JPG not found

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds