BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Bumper build

More
02 Dec 2018 22:49 - 02 Dec 2018 22:52 #198556 by Dirtbird
Bumper build was created by Dirtbird
I would love to build my own bumpers and this guy used very simple gear to do really nice work. Just wanted to share. Oh yeah, we will just overlook the fact that IT is a JEEP!!!

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2018 22:52 by Dirtbird.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Dec 2018 05:33 #198560 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Bumper build
I'm not really the person to be commenting here because of what I want from a Jimny. The issue I have is that a Jimny is a lightweight car, its it's major strength for off roading; it can drive over ground that is just too soft for pretty much anything else apart from a quad bike. Setting to and making it massively strong with things like iron girders at each end also brings the need to start and strengthen everything they are attached to and in turn are carried by. This causes an arms race of increasing strength of components to the point where the vehicle is potentially in a situation where the kerb weight is approximately what the gross vehicle weight is without anything in it.

I'm not saying I can't see there being any point to going down that path, there is if you are mounting winches and suchlike and it definitely looks cool, but if you're going to make a Jimny as big and strong as a defender or cruiser why not start with one in the first place?

Oh and I know I'm a hypocrite and should buy a sports car instead of corrupting my Jimny into something it wasn't ever meant to be.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Dec 2018 08:25 - 03 Dec 2018 08:26 #198565 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Bumper build
That is a very very nice step by step guide; beautifully presented in a calm and methodical way, explaining everything, and of personal interest to me as I'm considering buying myself a portable welding machine. :woohoo:

However I tend to share Lambert's thoughts on relating that video to the Jimny.
Jimny's are cute and very capable; it would be easy to turn it into something of a cumbersome Frankenjimny :laugh:

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Dec 2018 08:26 by Max Headroom.

More
03 Dec 2018 13:06 #198570 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Bumper build
Lambert your logic is sound and have to say got a giggle out of what you wrote but you have to admit he did do a really good job and I know if I go down the arms race road there's a good chance an RSJ bumper could lift the back off the ground.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
03 Dec 2018 17:48 #198580 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Bumper build
Oh :unsure: Umm... :blush:

Some of us like our 'fat' Jimnys... :woohoo:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
03 Dec 2018 18:09 #198583 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Bumper build

S200KYS wrote:
Some of us like our 'fat' Jimnys... :woohoo:

+1 ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
03 Dec 2018 18:11 #198584 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Bumper build
I think I could do with making some steel bumpers.

Although to be honest the plastic ones are proving very resilient. This popped back into shape and apart from the massive gash where the stick went through seems to be just fine.
Attachments:

More
03 Dec 2018 18:15 - 03 Dec 2018 18:16 #198585 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Bumper build
Aye - just a bit of T-Cut will fix that :)

Dont get me wrong - I love reading all the stuff on the serious off-road machines; the "fat Jimnys" it's certainly something I myself would aspire to if it wasn't for me already being up to my neck in pre-war sports cars.
Some of the photos and in particular S200KYS blog was utterly fascinating.

If time and money was no object... I'd have a right proper Billy Bunter of a Jimny :lol:

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 03 Dec 2018 18:16 by Max Headroom.

More
03 Dec 2018 18:45 #198586 by jackonlyjack
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Dec 2018 19:23 #198589 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Bumper build
I'm not hating on the heavier Jimny, I really aren't! I'm just making the point that it's a path that requires a level of commitment above and beyond just a steel bumper. Like I say I have no room to talk given my insistence on making mine into a fast road track toy. Anyone engaging in modifying their Jimny has my respect.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Dec 2018 19:52 #198590 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Bumper build
I also don't hate the heavy duty versions i really like Dave's,Brett's,Riccy's too
Dave and Brett could easily bounce off trees where as mine would be extensively damaged
also love the look of external cages
I have an obsession with keeping it light removing the front seats in favour of buckets saved me around 40kg
After dropping a front door on my foot on removal they must be near on 50kg each (steel toe caps on )
Dose anyone know if jimny was produced with wind down windows no motors less weight lol

More
03 Dec 2018 20:01 - 03 Dec 2018 20:02 #198591 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Bumper build
Go the whole hog jack, strip the doors out to just skins and fit perspex with sliders, be like going to weightwatchers.......

sniper
Last edit: 03 Dec 2018 20:02 by sniper.

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds