BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

My green laner project

More
11 Jul 2018 13:42 #194191 by ahtr
My green laner project was created by ahtr
Recently picked up, will be modified primarily for laning but still want it driveable on the road. Plans for 30" tyres, lift and winch initially. May do 1.6 engine swap and lockers further down line.

My second Jimny I've owned, this one will be a keeper so want to do it right.

Picked it up looking like this...

First job was rear lights not working. It had a towbar fitted and the wiring had been hacked to bits. Pulled towbar off and basically remade rear light wiring loom. All working spot on now!

Stripped front and rear bumpers off, wheel arch liners out, spent a few hours pressure washing everywhere while the weather was nice, gave it a couple of days to dry out, cleaned all the metal up and painted. Chassis all got coated with underseal. It's all surprisingly solid. Some light surface rust but no major corrosion. Snorkel fitted while arch liners and air box were out.

Marked up ready for drilling...

Fitted

Front off and painted. Behind back bumper got the same treatment.

Stripped all the seats, carpets and plastics out. Inside floor cleaned, painted before plastics back in.

Fitted Subaru Impreza seats I picked up months ago and had waiting to use, have experienced Jimny seats before and knew they weren't for me. Rear seats being left out and will ply line the rear floor.

Brake pedal was nearly touching the floor and exhaust snapped just in front of cat. Picked up new exhaust and got that on (doesn't sound like a tractor any more). Fitted new discs and pads, will have a rear disc conversion at some point soon but stuck new rear shoes in for now and adjusted up. Fitted extended brake lines at the same time in preparation for a lift and bled everything through.

Bought five 15x7 steel rims with -7 offset ages ago. Had these fitted with 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764's ready to go on when the lift is fitted

My green laner build
2003 Jimny - M16 engine - 4.16 TC - Winch - Snorkel - 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764 tyres on 15x7 ET-7 offset wheels - 4" lift - Rear floating axles and discs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2018 14:34 #194193 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic My green laner project
Blimey! You don't mess about! Good start! B)

More
12 Jul 2018 10:40 #194230 by ahtr
Replied by ahtr on topic My green laner project
Thanks! I bought your diff guards I think?

I've got a plan of where I'm going with it so I've had a stash of parts building up before I even bought the car :whistle:

Oils now changed. Engine oil was looking pretty awful so running some cheap oil through for 50 miles to flush through then changing to some decent stuff.

Gearbox and diff oils done. Had some new diff plugs ready from bigjimny shop, ended up taking last ones out with a chisel.

Started on extended breathers too. Manifold fixed with a couple of rivnuts, hose on left heads up the snorkel.

Diffs tapped and screwed in some 6mm push fit 1/8 BSP 90deg elbows (before I changed the oil, incase any swaft dropped in). Gearbox one nice and simple, pulled off the standard small rubber pipe...

In goes a 6mm push fit adapter

Then back on to gearbox with some 6mm hose into breather manifold

My green laner build
2003 Jimny - M16 engine - 4.16 TC - Winch - Snorkel - 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764 tyres on 15x7 ET-7 offset wheels - 4" lift - Rear floating axles and discs

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2018 10:45 #194232 by MadsV
Replied by MadsV on topic My green laner project
Nice work, looking forward seeing those wheels on

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2018 11:28 #194235 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic My green laner project
Very nice work!

How did the Impreza seats fit? Alot of work?

More
12 Jul 2018 16:27 #194239 by ahtr

How did the Impreza seats fit? Alot of work?

Not too bad, easier than expected. The frames are quite low on them which helped, bit of chopping and a few brackets made up with some 6mm flat bar and 50mm box. Was just a case of offering them up and see what worked.

My green laner build

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
12 Jul 2018 17:13 #194242 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic My green laner project
B) looking good

Have you something in mind for gearing changes for the 30" tyres? You will be forever burning through clutches without changing something!

For the tyres you have a rocklobster box is a little too high geared (1.5 in high, 4.3 low) for road, but ideal for greenlaning. Another cheaper option would be to swap the diffs to later vvt ones as these are a higher ratio ;-)

and while the diff is out it would be rude not to think about fitting a locker :whistle:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
12 Jul 2018 19:58 #194249 by ahtr

Have you something in mind for gearing changes for the 30" tyres?

I might have something to go in ;)

My green laner build
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Jul 2018 20:13 #194252 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic My green laner project
Nice.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
14 Jul 2018 16:23 #194281 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic My green laner project
If you need a suspension lift drop me a message

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
14 Jul 2018 20:46 #194286 by ahtr
Already had the lift kit, front arms and panhard rods from you James.

Lift fitted. Rear ORA radius arms from Martin. New front and rear radius arm bushes from bigjimny shop. Went with standard type rather than poly. Got a 12ton press in garage so fitting was no issue B)

Went for pro comp shocks, 4" springs, adjustable panhards with poly bushes and front radius arms. Which all came from James (aka j999pre). Redacted supplied rear spring clamps.

One of the radius arm chassis mounts looked like it'd had an encounter with a rock, had to get the oxy-acet out to get that back in to shape. Fitted some JB radius arm guards and rear shock guards while everything was getting changed. Every nut and bolt changed for new ones too, save any issues when it needs pulling apart in the future.

Pulled off the front anti roll bar, seems to be some mixed views on here about it, but going to give it a try.

Just need some extended bump stops and suspect I'm going to have to hack some plastic/metal away from the wheel arches...

Finished diff breathers, ran hoses with some stainless p-clips along radius arms. Then up to the manifold.

My green laner build
Attachments:

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2018 21:50 #194288 by MadsV
Replied by MadsV on topic My green laner project
Jimny looks great. What underbody seal did you use? And how is it like driving on normal roads with those tires?

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds