BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2019 16:43 #213484 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Ulysses
Brilliant day out great to see you showing the big wigs how it's done in a Jimny :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Sep 2019 06:02 #213501 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
Nothing like making rattling and squeaking stop to make you love your car all over again! My biggest culprit is the plywood tray in the back it can send a fellow mad with it's squeaking.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• LynwoodB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Sep 2019 10:04 #213772 by LynwoodB
Replied by LynwoodB on topic Ulysses
That's hilarious. Imagine not knowing about the plywood try squeaks! I really would be maddening. haha

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
29 Sep 2019 16:11 #214012 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses
Still chasing noises. Been a noise on the driveline for a while. I kept thinking it was the rocklobster box but eventually tracked it down to broken bearings in one of the rear prop UJs. Took the prop off for a better look and to bits to see whats needed. Needle roller bearings are dead. Looks like its full off mud in the grease channels, so the seals must have gone and let crap in, meaning greasing it was doing nothing :-(

That is a couple of years old now as it was on J999MNY first. Have sent Jimnybits a message about spares for it.

Onto the rear load bed cover. Issue with the tarpaulin was that it would collect water if raining. Also access in/out of the rear is a bit awkward with the bungee cords holding the cover down.

Made a flat angle frame to fit fairly snug over the bed body and put some bent bars in to keep the stretched up. Welded on some hinges and used pop rivets to attach to the bed body for a trial fit:

It works well and looks like it will stop the water collecting. I have some more of the stainless over-centre latch things as used for the tailgate and theres some little rubber pads to stop vibration noises. Plan to use some gas struts to make it stay up rather than a hammer :laugh:

Found a great website which calculates the loads and spec as well as shows where to mount it to work properly:
www.gasspringsshop.co.uk/gas-spring-calculator/

and back off for painting...

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
29 Sep 2019 16:24 #214015 by Riccy
Video of the prop before disassembly...

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

More
01 Oct 2019 16:17 #214114 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Ulysses
That load bed cover and frame are awesome! So is the rest of the truck but that's particularly good.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Lambert
    Registered
More
02 Oct 2019 05:08 #214157 by Lambert
Only just seen this? Yeah looking good. Though it looks like it could benefit from some rsj's to make it more robust (not that I am wanting you to have ballast to compensate for the extra 500cc! :laugh: )

More
02 Oct 2019 07:11 #214159 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Ulysses
+1 on the load-cover solution!
That's a smart idea nicely executed B) :)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
12 Oct 2019 15:15 #214662 by Riccy
Tyres today.

The Coopers are getting replaced with some Toyo M/Ts. This is because I have one flat cooper from Drumclog and another with a repairable slow puncture. It worked out about the same money to buy 4 Toyos and keep one of the coopers for a spare. Also I prefer the Toyo's as this is the same tyre (but smaller) as the ones on J999MNY. They are quieter is all really, but as it turns out the Toyos are also bigger than the coopers, for the same supposed size (31x10.5r15)...

Toyo next to a cooper - poor pic but is shows about an inch height gain

so off to the tyre garage and a crisp £20 note later they are all on with my nice new ceramic balance beads and a new valve stem...

Little extra height under the diffs will never go amiss :-) They fit well, are quiet and comfy after I set pressures down from 35psi to 22psi.

Next also a quick oil and filters change now that the new engine has done a few miles. Oil removed was only a little dirty and had no nasties in it so happy days there :-)

Still havent ordered the gas struts for the load cover, but that can wait for now. It is fitted and painted now. Do think I should have made it removable somehow, its pop riveted on at the hinges. Maybe I could remove the hinge pins and replace with a long bar through all of them. That would make it pretty easy to remove?

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
More
12 Oct 2019 16:12 #214665 by Lambert
They fill the arches out a bit better don't they. Gotta love a uniform arch gap.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2019 18:25 #214678 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Ulysses
Looks good, good price, and only £20.00 to fit what a result

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
22 Oct 2019 18:42 #215051 by Riccy
Trip out with Dave, Brett, Adam and Phil & Rob in Ulysses, as you will probably have seen from Dave's build thread (or if you havent, see about half-way down page 108 here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/18-buil...ner-build?start=1284 )

I wont bore on with hundreds of pics but it was a great day out. The radius arm mount on the rear passenger side sustained some damage, but will bend back (and get a guard made). I do have loads of gopro vids so will link them so you can see what its like from my view :laugh:

And all in totally the wrong order. The gopro battery went flat about halfway down Nibthwaite, so missed the snorkel eating lane and a few others. A shame as it wasnt only Dave's snorkel that went flying. Adam's popped off and out of the trees right in front of me :laugh:

Ulysses sustained no serious damage thankfully and actually went in for another MOT on Monday as the insurance demanded it for the engine swap :angry: All passed with flying colours :-)

Finally. J999MNY and Ulysses have become one. The private plate has been transferred and is now on Ulysses/J999MNY. What i'm now calling 'the grey one' is up for sale if anyone is interested... 57 plate 1.6, big lift, twin lockers, 33" tyres and loads of other goodies...

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.268 seconds