BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Advice on build list for the next year

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2018 09:45 #190668 by mdog18
Hi guys!

This is my first post on the site and I have to admit I'm not particularly learned when it comes to off-road builds, or any sort of custom jobs to be honest!

I've done some initial research and have compiled a list of modifications I would like to do to my Jimny over the course of the year or so. I intend to seriously up my off-roading frequency so I would really appreciate any advice on what the best mods are for a rookie off roader who also uses the car for daily driving.
(not in order)
1. 215/75 or even 225/75 AT tires (I'm under the impression that for 225/75 tires I will need to get 6" rims instead of my stock 5.5" rims
2. 2" body lift or eventually 2" suspension (can I use 215/75 with just a body lift?)
3. Replacement bumper with loop (from Wizerd)
4. Roof and bumper lights
5. Snorkel
6. 30mm wheel spacers (necessary?)
7. Castor correction bushes (necessary?)
8. Steering damper

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2018 11:04 #190671 by sniper
I'm far from expert with the car yet but I can answer a couple of your queries,

Tyres - I'm running 215/75x15 BFG AT's on standard rims with tired (sagged) suspension, no catching and they fill the arches nicely. The tyres themselves are amazing in snow and as good as anything on tarmac wet or dry. I'm a bit biased, I've run these tyres on landcruiser/navarra/panel van and found them bomb proof. You don't need any lift to run 215 but 225 will be getting close and may catch.

Lift - Chassis lift is purely for clearance with no increase in articulation so only for big tyres. A two inch suspension lift does not require castor correction, just fit the extended springs and shocks, job done. (check brakes lines)

Steering damper - A good idea but they do absorb so much crap that you can let worn joints in the steering arms go too far. Inspect all joints for play on a regular basis.

Spacers - As I said, I'm on standard rims with factory offset (-5?), my 215's are maybe 20mm inside the arches. I'm still undecided......

Steering damper, tyres, 2" lift in that order but take the car off road when you've got the tyres. It's very capable as standard, look at the level of risk you are prepared to take with your daily driver, you may not want more than it can already deliver.

Good luck,

sniper

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2018 17:08 #190682 by mdog18
Replied by mdog18 on topic Advice on build list for the next year
Hi Sniper,

Thanks for the advice. Just to clarify, spacers and castor correction aren't necessary with a 2" body lift and 215/75 tyres?

Also you mentioned the "level of risk" I'm prepared to take with my daily driver. By that do you mean the level of off-roading risk I'm willing to take or the modifications risk I'm willing to take?

More
21 Mar 2018 18:23 #190688 by sniper
Sorry, my grammar seems to have done a bunk and left me with a collection of words and little clarity.

You can run 215's with standard suspension and no body lift.

Castor correction is only needed with lifts of 3" and above. A 2'' suspension lift does not need it, just springs and shocks, maybe brake lines.

A body lift does not affect steering geometry at all and will just give more room for tyres.

The risk of damage to your daily driver is what I'm talking about, no good going out to play and not being able to get to work the following day....

sniper

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2018 18:52 #190690 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Advice on build list for the next year
You are right that the 2" suspension don't need caster correction (I haven't mine) but the steering is a little light and don't self centre like it used to. If you do a lot of road miles I would fit the bushes.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Mar 2018 05:13 #190714 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. A word of caution. If you are set on using the Jimny as your daily daily and as a weekend toy then you're basically left with 3 options. 1 fit some decent all terrain tyres and otherwise leave it alone and be impressed with it's ability. 2 attempt to make it look chunky with cheap, quick and dirty modifications that may offer some improvements off road but will significantly affect the road performance and noticeably increase the frequency of maintenance and repairs. 3 spend more money on quality modifications that don't look quite so impressive from the outside but manage to retain the road performance, increase the off road performance and add some reliability. There are pros and cons of every level of Jimny modifications, starting simple and working up to the level you need is often the best way.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mdog18

More
22 Mar 2018 08:28 #190723 by Busta
My advice would be fit some good quality 215/75s because that size fits and works great on a standard Jimny (as long as they aren't remoulds). Fit them on the standard rims. Don't fit wheel spacers because they will make the tyres scrub the arches and throw mud all up the side of the car, onto the mirrors, door handles etc and it's really annoying. You don't need any lift with 215s either so no need for castor correction. Lights, snorkel, bumper etc is all your preference. I find driving lights in the bumper can be useful but lights on the roof make it harder to read the road surface so are rarely much use when driving. They also get caught on tree branches and break off. A snorkel is useful if you intend to go through water deeper than the top of the tyres (over 2ft deep) but you will also need to fit extended breathers for the diff, transfer case and gearbox to prevent water damaging those things.

That's all from my practical point of view. If you are going for a certain look then obviously fit whatever you want to achieve it but bear in mind that, as Lambert says, cheap mods rarely improve anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1066Boy, mdog18

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds