BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

My tray back tdi 4 link Jimny build

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2017 08:55 #181812 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Re:RE: My tray back tdi 4 link Jimny build

whittleos wrote: Thanks. And yeah so far. Need some softer springs still I'm the front to allow it to flex more also have some. Bump stops to fit and other odd bits but it's taking shape. Weather it stays 4link front yet I don't know as it's becoming a night mare with exhaust and links prop ect to have any room what so ever for sump and iv made a shallow sump time shall tell

Personally I'm looking at a 3 link front with the lowers pretty much parallel with the chassis when viewed from above and the upper off the top of the diff to just above and in front of the front prop shaft output.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• whittleos
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2017 22:37 #181827 by whittleos
Replied by whittleos on topic Re:RE: My tray back tdi 4 link Jimny build
Thank you. Granted had a lot of help front friends to get it where it's at but all the same it's getting there.. And I'm hoping to have it on the road at some point but that will be a while off want to run this event on the 17th see how it all works and then can change what ever it is it may need. Then worry about lights ect. It's not just been a back axle then try it it's everything engine axles 4 link td motor gear box the works but with a bit of luck it will all pay off.

• whittleos
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2017 22:17 #181874 by whittleos
Replied by whittleos on topic My tray back tdi 4 link Jimny build
Had to take a new photo with my own wheels onol
Attachments:

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2017 10:42 - 09 Jun 2017 10:42 #181878 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic My tray back tdi 4 link Jimny build
Mad max eat your heart out :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Last edit: 09 Jun 2017 10:42 by Daniel30.

• whittleos
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2017 21:51 #181900 by whittleos
Oh dear what you don't with it? And yeah it's getting there slow but surely haha thanks

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jun 2017 06:26 #181916 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Re:RE: My tray back tdi 4 link Jimny build

Rich wrote: I managed to snap the rear panhard mount off the rear axle along with destroyed all the rear radius arm bush trying to climb a rather large rock face at cowm quarry around February and when I got it home I stripped it down for the rebuild and it's still waiting lol
Have lost enthusiasm as most guys I used to off road with have gone over to enduros.
Have thought about selling but their not worth much and also thought about breaking it for parts as it's got 6-5-1 along with fully trussed axles with hd internal etc and wheels and tires have only cover a few hundred miles.
I'm sure the stainless 4 branch manifold and exhaust would sell along with the 1.6 etc etc and I would probably get more in parts than what I get as a tray back but would find it hard breaking it up after all work I put in building it.
That's why I need so inspiration !!

Time for links on yours too ;)

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jun 2017 09:48 #181921 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic My tray back tdi 4 link Jimny build
What ever you do keep posting love seeing these crazy Jim's and the hard graft that goes in to them, wish I had the knowledge and technical know how to do what you guys do B) B)

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jun 2017 12:31 #181922 by OllieNZ

Rich wrote: Yeah I have to agree but can't decide which was to go.
3 link with panhard
4 link
A frame or wishbone.
Still want to be able to use it on road and travel abroad on adventures so not sure about the joints in 4links.

Need a good chat with Whittleos I think

I'm still working on my design. Most likely going to end up with a triangulated 4 link rear and 3 link front. I need to finish stripping mine, get the body off the chassis and start playing around. Check out 1.25in heim/rose joints, they will stand up to any abuse you can give them. (ORA sell them).

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jun 2017 12:33 #181923 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Re:My tray back tdi 4 link Jimny build
@Whittleos sorry for the hijack. Keep up the sweet work and the pictures.

• whittleos
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jun 2017 20:40 #181928 by whittleos
Haha no problem and thanks you. And i can say now iv just put mine back to panhard rod on the front. Unless you can brace the chassi exstreamly to stop it from flexing then it will not steer. Iv braced mine as much as possible and still had movement was not good enough for me and I'm wanting mine on the road. Backs still 4 iv just used the rose joints and tube off front axle to make a solid panhard rod with no limitation been rose jointed. Should still get same flex on front as I'd have been able to 4 link to as can only to so far with out prop no longer working as it should any ways it's all dependant on what your wanting it to do to be honest I like climbing dumb things some people like just tracks ect so needs to be built around your needs more then anything

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jun 2017 12:34 #181931 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Re:My tray back tdi 4 link Jimny build
You can't retain the steering box type steering without a panhard on the front. To use a triangulated 4 link on the front you need to convert the steering to full hydraulic. You can still use a 4 link but it has to be non triangulated and have a panhard rod.

• whittleos
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jun 2017 21:46 #181956 by whittleos
I have since descoverd all this was always a experiment I did look when I very first started into hydro steer using a rack off something but then thought I'd get the rest done first haha.. It still works as. Well on front as I could have got it to 4link any ways as can't go to far with out killing props all time less I changed them to

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds