BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Turbo Jimny

More
23 Sep 2016 23:03 #172742 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Turbo Jimny

Busta wrote: Few more questions....

Did you make the exhaust manifold?
What is the turbo from?
Have you thought about a bigger air box, or even an open filter? It has been suggested in the past that the standard air box is small to the point of being restrictive, even for the standard engine.

Hey Busta, Yes I made the exhaust manifold using sch10 tube(if I remember correct...I still have some left to check on this) A cast manifold can be had on ebay from a swift M series.....although they invert the turbo....and somebody put a chassis in the way on the Jimny.

The turbo is a Garrett GT1544 with 0.38ar as fitted to various sub 1.6l cars.

As regards the airbox....I've seen the reports of the size issues between various Suzuki air boxes for different capacities...it would appear in actuality that the Jimny airbox has enough capacity to allow plenty through....normal atmos+17 psi inlet pressure=enough?

I still have the pea shooter exhaust and cat installed......it's plenty powerful enough for traffic light racing and laning as it is :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta, Lambert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Sep 2016 06:11 #172751 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Turbo Jimny
Hmmm. I am in the similar position to you with regards to the justification of the expense on what is ultimately a company car. I need a plan. Thank you for the info.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 Sep 2016 08:55 #172756 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Turbo Jimny
Surely it doesn't need an intercooler that big though? By over-sizing it aren't you increasing lag?

More
24 Sep 2016 08:58 #172757 by Keithy

11/60 wrote: Hmmm. I am in the similar position to you with regards to the justification of the expense on what is ultimately a company car. I need a plan. Thank you for the info.

Good luck with that matey! :D I usually wait until it's my significant others idea :whistle:

@Busta, Sch10s 304 stainless lr90 elbows all welded onto the original Jimny exhaust flange...still got the egr in operation too.

Anyone know what the "power" indicator lamp was for in the dash?

It's set to light up under boost now......need a recording of J Clarkson shouting power to finish that part off :laugh:

More
24 Sep 2016 09:02 #172758 by Busta
Surely it doesn't need an intercooler that big though? By over-sizing it aren't you increasing lag? I don't know the maths but a small one that neatly fits the lower opening in the bumper must be enough.

More
24 Sep 2016 09:13 #172760 by Busta

Keithy wrote: Anyone know what the "power" indicator lamp was for in the dash?

It's set to light up under boost now......

B) Very cool!

More
24 Sep 2016 09:38 #172763 by Keithy

Busta wrote: Surely it doesn't need an intercooler that big though? By over-sizing it aren't you increasing lag? I don't know the maths but a small one that neatly fits the lower opening in the bumper must be enough.

I hear ya....I was actually looking around under a Transit yesterday......the intercooler is around the area of mine....bit wider overall and not as tall......could fit?

I'm a fan of safe power....so deliberately erred on the side of safety for this......cheaper and more reliable than injecting water.

Regards lag, on a standard Jimny I found that barring the 1st to second change the gears flow really well all the way to fifth.

Fitting the larger circumference tyres made the gears a little taller and the gears whilst still close didn't quite flow as well!

So with the turbo and from a standing start it's on boost superfast and the gears are boost boost boost all the way through to chav speed.....not had any lag issues as of yet.

An ar of .38 limits the upper rpm boost and spools super fast at low rpm's......it sits on the wastegate@17.5 psi @ 5500.....could get scary in top gear but my fear of dying keeps me safe....done enough of that for one lifetime.....I'll see if the Holsets are still at work Mon and post a picture of what would be a lag monster in a Jimny.....I can just lift the exhaust turbine housing....but we lift these between 2 of us.

More
25 Sep 2016 15:22 #172821 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Turbo Jimny

That was for the auto box, the 'power' setting moves the shift points up the RPM band.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

More
25 Sep 2016 16:34 - 25 Sep 2016 16:35 #172824 by Keithy

Rhinoman wrote:

That was for the auto box, the 'power' setting moves the shift points up the RPM band.

Nice one! I'm hoping for 2 extra torque's by having it illuminated!!
Last edit: 25 Sep 2016 16:35 by Keithy. Reason: Apparently there is an "r" in torques.......and one in power.....are power and torque in some kind of relationship?

More
05 Oct 2016 20:59 #173196 by Keithy
Bigger turbo's.....Holset for remanufacture.....They look big but I have watchmaker/gyneo size hands.

More
07 Oct 2016 19:10 #173236 by Keithy
It seems the standard Exedy clutch is a little on the tame side for the new power output.....I'm not helping by changing the exhaust....CBR600 tail pipe donated by a mate so thought I'd try it.....sounds sweet :D

So a new clutch arrived from a local maker....got a good deal on it so their sticker is on the rear of the Jimny....

It bites down just fine under boost and it's not too snatchy for use in traffic...not fun there though!!

Changed the bonnet vents to black ones....Orange ones for sale later.

More
08 Oct 2016 00:50 #173259 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Turbo Jimny
New vents look nice!

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds