BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Turbo Jimny

More
25 Aug 2016 22:22 #171675 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Turbo Jimny

1066Boy wrote: Love to see a dyno print out when its all finished. Will not show my otherhalf though as
she will want it done to her's. At my expense of course.

Just do it!

Worked out it's cost me £1500 to do it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kevinbarry18
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Aug 2016 01:01 #171677 by kevinbarry18
Replied by kevinbarry18 on topic Turbo Jimny
Some body thinks like me..thank god...does it give much bottom end grunt ?...i wonder why suzuki dont fit a 6th gear for better on road performance with a higher range ratio ?... i dont know anyone who gets up to 5th gear off roading so why did they not the jimny box high ratio gears for 5th ?....you can bomb alone at 140 kph but rpm is 5k and jeep sounds like demented bee....;)

More
26 Aug 2016 07:17 #171686 by Keithy

kevinbarry18 wrote: Some body thinks like me..thank god...does it give much bottom end grunt ?...i wonder why suzuki dont fit a 6th gear for better on road performance with a higher range ratio ?... i dont know anyone who gets up to 5th gear off roading so why did they not the jimny box high ratio gears for 5th ?....you can bomb alone at 140 kph but rpm is 5k and jeep sounds like demented bee....;)

Bottom end is...enhanced! :D

Boost starts at 1200RPM and comes nice and gentle to 2500 and then it adopts a different character altogether.

It's a small turbo so it spools really fast....I used to be in 4th up a local motorway hill@60mph......I accidentally did 95 in 5th yesterday....Naughty I know.

Off laning for a day in the lakes next month so I'll post back as that'll be it's first decent distance run.

6 speed gearbox is 3 projects away for the M13A engine.

More
26 Aug 2016 08:54 #171690 by Keithy
I just informed my insurers I've fitted the turbo.....premium increased by.....zero

More
26 Aug 2016 17:31 #171717 by Keithy
Piccy of the finished item.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2016 07:11 #171729 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Turbo Jimny
Very nice, good job. ;)

• kevinbarry18
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2016 13:26 #171739 by kevinbarry18
Great to hear one insurance company is moving forward ....

• kevinbarry18
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2016 13:32 #171740 by kevinbarry18
I look forward to hearing about the 6th project when it comes ;)....i have manage 100 mph by raising roof of jimny with roof rack to increase down force and spoilers for increase air flow...on a stock model...even lane changing its oddly stable...

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2016 16:37 #171759 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Turbo Jimny
Anything above 75mph in mine is a bit risky. It wanders all over the road because of my mud tyres. :laugh:

• wombat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2016 21:31 #171770 by wombat
Replied by wombat on topic Turbo Jimny
....i have manage 100 mph by raising roof of jimny with roof rack to increase down force and spoilers for increase air flow...on a stock model...even lane changing its oddly stable...[/quote]

Think you need a new speedometer :woohoo: :woohoo:

More
27 Aug 2016 22:10 - 27 Aug 2016 22:12 #171772 by Keithy

1066Boy wrote: Very nice, good job. ;)

I try to keep things neat...appreciate the comment.

I only managed 105 mph gps with the standard car...it scared me big time 4 years ago on it's original 205/60 rubber wandering all over the Mway....like a Corvette I drove way back....could have been the Mach2 though.

Now maybe it isn't as terrible an impediment (no wandering what with the bigger tyres)but the rpm issue is still there for me....need a 6th gear now more than ever.

One problem I've discovered is that corners appear sooner than they did before...gotta watch out for corners!

It would be interesting to see what an M16A Jimny owner thinks of this particular conversion....100hp vs...more.

I hear ya wombat.....I've slowly decreased the top end of mine for some time!

Error
Flood protection! Please wait 60 seconds before submitting an another message.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2016 22:12 by Keithy.

• kevinbarry18
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Aug 2016 07:43 #171853 by kevinbarry18
Yes that would make a knarly ride...once had a vw beetle baja..on knobbly tyres..top end was 130 mph..a beast..but certain car i think were never designed to go over 70 mph..no matter what mods tney have recieved...marks and spencers st bernard branded under pants and andrex toilet tissue got great business in those times..;)

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds