BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

2.0 HDI Lexus 6 Speed Conversion

More
22 Mar 2015 23:08 #141177 by Keithy
My first post.... Hello!

Started a project several weeks ago to fit a 2.0 HDI and a 6 speed Lexus IS200 gearbox into my Jimny.....my progress so far.

Image of what I need to make it fit.

Here's the progress so far.

Checking the fit.....measured on a Faro Gage then routed out.

Fit's nice so moving on. pattern made for the bellhousing side.

Today I started on the intermediate casting to get from Lexus to Peugeot (PSA) engine.

Made an anti-rollbar disconnect several weeks back....disconnects from within the car....I hate rolling around in the mud! :D

There's a whole heap of stuff to figure out/pay for yet.

More later.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
23 Mar 2015 08:37 #141189 by funkyjimny
I saw the title and thought 'here's another one. Wants to fit a mad somethig or other and has no engineering skills...'

So I was pleasantly surprised to open the post and find that you are serious, have the skills, and looks like it will happen !

I like the ARB disconnect, I have the Jimnybits one which is fantastic, but always wanted one that disconnects from inside like the Jeep Wrangler ones, I had thoughts about a solenoid one but I don't have the time ...
Want to make me one ? Lol

Peugeot Diesel engine to 6 speed gearbox is it? Could be good that. I'd love to import a 1.8 baleno engine from abroad, but pretty content with my 1.3, it's only done 38k from new, gets used once a month if I'm lucky.

I'll watch this thread with interest !

Gary

• Paul_sterling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2015 08:45 #141193 by Paul_sterling
Replied by Paul_sterling on topic 2.0 HDI Lexus 6 Speed Conversion
very interesting Approach Keithy,

was billeted machining not an option for those components? I'm guessing that a lump of aluminium that size probably ruled the idea out on cost alone? :laugh:

looking forward to seeing the progress. what fuel rating (i.e. power) are you having the HDi run at?

Cheers.
Paul.

• the_goshawker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2015 15:24 #141210 by the_goshawker
Replied by the_goshawker on topic 2.0 HDI Lexus 6 Speed Conversion
Wow :ohmy:
Brilliant really well worked out buddy :)

More
23 Mar 2015 18:18 #141217 by Busta
Exciting stuff! Will the resulting mould be suitable for mass-production or will this be a one off?

Peugeot engine and Lexus gearbox is an interesting combination. Why have you chosen this over, for example, a BMW diesel engine and gearbox?

More
23 Mar 2015 21:13 #141236 by Keithy

funkyjimny wrote: I saw the title and thought 'here's another one. Wants to fit a mad somethig or other and has no engineering skills...'

So I was pleasantly surprised to open the post and find that you are serious, have the skills, and looks like it will happen !

I like the ARB disconnect, I have the Jimnybits one which is fantastic, but always wanted one that disconnects from inside like the Jeep Wrangler ones, I had thoughts about a solenoid one but I don't have the time ...
Want to make me one ? Lol

Peugeot Diesel engine to 6 speed gearbox is it? Could be good that. I'd love to import a 1.8 baleno engine from abroad, but pretty content with my 1.3, it's only done 38k from new, gets used once a month if I'm lucky.

I'll watch this thread with interest !

Gary

Some of the megabuild threads are my favourites Gary :)

Paul, Billet is an option but £700 for the large billet is beyond my means sadly.

The adaptor from the gearbox to any (almost) bellhousing is available from Leen engineering .... £1200..a bit spendy that.
I'm looking at the 120BHP map from HDI tuning and an intercooler.....maybe 125? not too fussed about lot's of power tbh....but want better economy!

Goshawker, That remains to be seen :)

Busta, I've never much liked anything BMW makes so went with the vanilla flavour TD.

The patterns will last years (if I don't burn them to keep warm this winter :D )

• Placek
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2015 14:11 #141256 by Placek
Replied by Placek on topic 2.0 HDI Lexus 6 Speed Conversion
When I started to plan rebuilding of my Jimny I was considering putting a 1.9 TDi from VW/Audi with it's gearbox, but dropped the idea of diesel engine mainly because it's weight. BMW 1.8is weights ca. 220lbs and VW 1.9TDi ca. 300lbs + gearboxes (BMW's is also much lighter than VW's).

The other thing is that big diesel engines have a lot of torque. BMW 1.8is has 140hp and 172Nm, and VW 1.9TDi 115hp and 235Nm (even before remapping) which is too much for Jimny's or even SJ/Samurai's transfer box. Lexus has 136hp and 320Nm which I would be very worried about with Jimny's transfer case. I would recommend LJ70 if you're swapping for a big diesel engine.

Reducing weight was one of my priorities, because I'm building my Jimny straight for competition purposes, hope Your diesel will work for You.

More
24 Mar 2015 21:45 #141294 by Keithy
Just looking through my top trump cards and the Jimmerknee has 80 ponies and 104 torque's..... The only Lexus part I'm using is the gearbox which is 6 speed as cruising speed matters for me.....The HDI has........ 90 ponies and 205 torques in standard trim. So the earth may stay on it's axis after I try it?

One of my workmates is interested in reducing weight for competition so he's designed and made this.

Thats 30kg reduced just on the block.....1000hp and >500 torques could be handy in a competition jimjam with a sequential box no?

I'll be sure to check the rubber band in my T-case though.

Could be a good test for the new 5 axis EDM!

• Placek
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2015 16:35 #141311 by Placek
Replied by Placek on topic 2.0 HDI Lexus 6 Speed Conversion
Omg, I misunderstood the whole thing - thought You're going to swap gearbox and engine :P Sorry for the mess.

More
26 Mar 2015 21:30 #141423 by Keithy

Placek wrote: Omg, I misunderstood the whole thing - thought You're going to swap gearbox and engine :P Sorry for the mess.

No worries :D

First coat of paint applied tonight....modern MDF is.....very poor quality, very fluffy inside so I have to paint and leave to dry. The Ronseal cupboard paint seems to cover very well.....at least it sticks the fluff down.

Another coat and then before bashing the sand it'll get coated in "releasal" an Aluminium release agent (It actually works on naked MDF but I prefer the damp resistant paint to seal it if I'm keeping the pattern) to let the sand slide off and leave a slight refractory coating in the sand.

I use oil bonded sand which will show up fingerprints from the patterns in the final casting.

Intermediate pattern is yet to be finished as I've run out of skin and thumb nail!

• Paul_sterling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Mar 2015 08:54 #141434 by Paul_sterling
Replied by Paul_sterling on topic 2.0 HDI Lexus 6 Speed Conversion
great progress Keithy.

it'll be up and running in no time!

Paul.

More
27 Mar 2015 12:38 #141455 by Busta
So how does this work then?
You sit one MDF 'intermediate' mould in the other, fill the void with some kind of wax or melty substance to make a mould then bury that bit in sand and pour in molten aluminium to melt it away?

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds