BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

TOPH's new Jimny build

• toph
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Feb 2015 19:04 - 17 Feb 2015 19:16 #138226 by toph
TOPH's new Jimny build was created by toph
Bought another Jimny last month and now have all the parts in hand to get going, probably going to be te beginning of March to get started and hopefully ready for its first outing at the end of the month ( away with bike team I sponsor in the middle which is messing with my plans for a 3 weekend build) also want to clean and paint the unit floor first so I can find stuff I drop.
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Feb 2015 19:16 by toph.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2015 19:06 #138227 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic TOPH's new Jimny build
Oooh to have a workshop that BIG ;)

Subscribed... B)

• toph
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Feb 2015 19:10 #138230 by toph
Replied by toph on topic TOPH's new Jimny build
That's the "new" one, it's about a quarter of the size but the land owners wanted the building back but I can't complain really as did offer me this as the alternative rather than turfing me out and making the jimnys homeless

• toph
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Feb 2015 19:13 #138233 by toph
I'am sure you will recognise some of the items key to the build ;)

• toph
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2015 20:15 - 04 Mar 2015 15:47 #139143 by toph
Not much of a build update but more prepping, had some lovely deliveries today.... New vertical air compressor, 4 axle stands and high lift trolley jack. My wife put on a fake interested face when I was boring her about them so packed them in the boot of the car and took them straight up to the unit.

Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Mar 2015 15:47 by toph.

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
25 Feb 2015 20:27 - 25 Feb 2015 20:31 #139145 by funkyjimny
Replied by funkyjimny on topic TOPH's new Jimny build
Yes looking forward to this one, 3 weekends is a quick turn around though!

What are the plans ? Same as your old one but do things your way ? Presume other was built elsewhere ? KAP?

Just noticed its a VVT too, slightly different gearing I believe...

Gary
Last edit: 25 Feb 2015 20:31 by funkyjimny.

• toph
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2015 20:43 - 25 Feb 2015 21:07 #139149 by toph
The orange one was bought as a truck cab and I did all the other mods from scratch, but the down side of making/fabricating everything is that is takes loads of time working out what to make and cutting heavy plate plus if you need to make another you are off the road until there is time to make a mirror copy for the other side. This build is more "off the shelf" I have finally given in and am going to click "add to cart" while in work and they arrive the next or so which cuts 80% of the build time at least as all I need do is fit and use, break and replace. Possibly not as durable (read as over engineered) or unique and defiantly limiting in terms of flex like the Orange one. But never the less it's going to be funny little jimny and if half as capable off road but with some on road manners for getting to the lanes I will be happy.

Yes it's VVT, I haven't looked at the diff or gearbox ratios. Probably just going to pull the diffs and transfer out of the other one and see what happens save building the locker. Maybe even pull my finger out and get the Diesel engine in.....but then I might be breaking my rule of "off the shelf".
Last edit: 25 Feb 2015 21:07 by toph.

• Mart3971
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2015 01:05 #139175 by Mart3971
Replied by Mart3971 on topic TOPH's new Jimny build
The blue ones are always faster

• toph
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2015 07:58 #139183 by toph

Mart3971 wrote: The blue ones are always faster

I may have bought the wrong jimny then .....Iam the slowest plodder when it comes laning you will come across :)

I wanted a metallic grey one but this was very very cheap (and even cheaper when I caught the lying scumbag car dealer out) plus only 12 miles away from where I live, had been looking for a while but all seemed to be Scotland and kent if I wanted what I liked.

• Mart3971
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2015 08:13 #139184 by Mart3971
Replied by Mart3971 on topic TOPH's new Jimny build
Funny you should say that I have a blue and grey one. Also live in Kent.

• toph
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2015 11:39 - 04 Mar 2015 15:29 #139819 by toph
Slow delayed start seen as I was meant to be cracking on, so spent a token gesture 30 mins wrapping the shock absorbers so they are not rusting/corroding away by next winter, the durability of the finish isn't the best on these which is a shame as the quality and performance is very very good.

already though the paint to bare metal from scuffs and "light" paint coverage, a few more coats and a lacquer coat at he factory and these would have a chance of surviving.

That's paint on the cloth not dirt ( cloth did have IPA on it but still!) !! Wrapped with 200-220 micron "Rhino Hide" (same as 3M heli tape but can be removed much easier and is a dream to apply in comparison) which can be peeled off as and when, but will stop the springs and panhard along with stones rubbing though.

Not quite finished wrapping all the way around, was easier to have a 11mm over lap than try and trim the tape down to 139mm and hope they met square :cheer:
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Mar 2015 15:29 by toph.

• the_goshawker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2015 14:35 #139832 by the_goshawker
Replied by the_goshawker on topic TOPH's new Jimny build
Good advice mate :)

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds