BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Oct 2017 04:08 #185080 by Lambert
These are the super tuff racing ones ain't they? I am actually possibly as desperate as you are to find out what it handles like with these on, cos if your gravity well is able to corner sensibly then there is hope for mine to be like a go cart!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The topic has been locked.
More
11 Oct 2017 08:19 #185088 by X8GGY

11/60 wrote: These are the super tuff racing ones ain't they? I am actually possibly as desperate as you are to find out what it handles like with these on, cos if your gravity well is able to corner sensibly then there is hope for mine to be like a go cart!

LOL :lol: I'd like to get them on soon too, as we're out greenlaning locally next Sunday, so it would be a good chance to give them a good testing!
More
25 Oct 2017 10:38 #185501 by X8GGY
Not had a chance to fit the springs to the Jimny yet, I've been too busy on another project...

A new hot tub canopy for the wife's birthday...:)

And the greenlaning has been postponed until this weekend, so a blog coming soon...
Attachments:
  • Lambert
    Registered
More
25 Oct 2017 15:16 #185507 by Lambert
Hottub time machine!

More
30 Oct 2017 15:52 #185642 by X8GGY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert
More
01 Nov 2017 13:11 - 01 Nov 2017 13:20 #185714 by X8GGY
Being meaning to do this for a while...

Spring refresh 2017! :lol:

You'll remember I researched these springs on t'internet and believed they'd be a good match for the height and weight of my Jimny due to the length, number of coils and thickness of the wire used to make them... So here goes...

BEFORE - I felt that the existing springs had sagged a little in their two year life on my lilttle Jimny, so that's probably at least 24 rough greenlaning trips? Can't complain at that?

Reference height, this is all suspension lift and tyres (31")

Out comes Big Jack and an axle stand at full stretch, plenty of articulation there then :)

Ooh?! That's a surprise?! :ohmy: I'd figured the new springs would be a bit longer than the old ones and I'd have to cut a coil off the front and two off the back? But no, these are near as damn it the same length as the old ones (+3" front diesel springs from you-know-who). But these are wound even thicker, hence why I figure they'd be suitable for the weight of my notoriously heavy Jim' :lol:

So I fitted them as-is, no cutting...

Now for the front then...

Again, these are +3" front diesel springs with one of my spring spacers on the top, to make the 4" lift up... I was surprised at the bow in the spring?

With the spring out, again, I was surprised at the length? The new spring looks to be sitting at the same height as the old spring plus the spacer?...

Reference the back to front springs then, that started at the same length (they were all +3" front diesel springs all round), so the front has sagged more than the rear, due to the weight of the engine and winch/bumper up front no doubt... Oh, by the way, I'm not moaning about the sagging, it's to be well expected on a truck like mine that sees monthly 'laning trips like we do... As I said it's time for a refresh, I'm not having a go at you-know-who ;)

Front springs in then, on the original spring seats I'd stored in the garage (i.e. no spring spacers up front this time) and an extended bump stop finally fitted into the front springs, again, this could also have contributed to the front springs sagging...

Back up in the air then, and it looks visually taller?

The tape measure confirms, almost 1.5" up (49" to 50.5" to the bottom of the mirrors)

Time for a test drive on the road then, and the next greenlaning trip on the 19th (Oldham to Holmfirth area) will confirm whether they ride right offroad... just hope they aren't too stiff! I've given the JImny a damn good rocking on the drive and it feels okay :)
Last edit: 01 Nov 2017 13:20 by X8GGY.
  • Lambert
    Registered
More
01 Nov 2017 15:03 #185715 by Lambert
Ooh, so they fit on ok, that's good. Really really need to know what it drives like now, it sure looks to have potential.

More
01 Nov 2017 15:59 #185717 by X8GGY
Just been out for a good run... it's a little more bouncy than before, which I suppose is to be expected!

Chuffed as a train though! Just need to try it offroad next! :woohoo:
  • Lambert
    Registered
More
01 Nov 2017 16:18 #185718 by Lambert
So a nice set of sports dampers to control the bounce and they could be perfect for my go cart? Sweet. Cheers for sharing.

More
01 Nov 2017 16:26 - 01 Nov 2017 16:27 #185719 by X8GGY
Welcome!

Now washed and ready for next trip... 19th November.

Looking great now it's back to it's proper height!
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Nov 2017 16:27 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert
More
01 Nov 2017 16:31 #185720 by jackonlyjack
More
01 Nov 2017 17:19 #185721 by X8GGY
There was already a 15mm spring spacer atop the rear offside spring, so I refitted that with the new springs... All good!
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds