BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

• gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2016 11:52 #168261 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
Bit of a catch up here,enjoyed the tong and laning blogs dave similar issues to my old jimny after tong hard going.your little jim has took a beating but good to see its nearly back up and running B)
The topic has been locked.
More
09 Jun 2016 12:31 #168264 by X8GGY

Daniel30 wrote: Well done Dave

I should think the A-team would have had trouble doing all that in the time ;)

Hee hee, like they used to do, lock themselves in a barn for half a day (or three minutes in the show) and emerge with a tank made from a saloon? :laugh:

gaz3359 wrote: Bit of a catch up here,enjoyed the tong and laning blogs dave similar issues to my old jimny after tong hard going.your little jim has took a beating but good to see its nearly back up and running B)

Yup, think I'll stick to our "gentle" greenlaning ;)

Yup, soon bounce back!

;)
More
09 Jun 2016 12:51 #168265 by mlines
This is what you want....

Sadly discontinued as I understand it, but I believe an alternative is in development elsewhere

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
More
09 Jun 2016 13:16 #168267 by X8GGY
I'll wait for them!

JimnyBits or Redacted ? ;)
More
09 Jun 2016 15:02 - 09 Jun 2016 15:04 #168270 by supergaz

S200KYS wrote: I'll wait for them!

JimnyBits or Redacted ? ;)

Rockwatt did a lovely job beefing up my jimny axles as I've gone for ARB lockers front and rear. Rear hd shafts was going to be on my to do list after a Redacted rollcage.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2016 15:04 by supergaz.
More
10 Jun 2016 18:59 #168315 by mc_nebula
I've recently had the same issues with my Jimny. I believe it was caused by running a Lockrite. I ripped off one mount and widened most of the mounts on the axle. It also ate my rear prop too.
I had a spare axle already, so swapped it over and have not re-fitted the lockrite. I'm running a standard diff now.
More
10 Jun 2016 19:35 #168317 by X8GGY

mc_nebula wrote: I've recently had the same issues with my Jimny. I believe it was caused by running a Lockrite. I ripped off one mount and widened most of the mounts on the axle. It also ate my rear prop too.
I had a spare axle already, so swapped it over and have not re-fitted the lockrite. I'm running a standard diff now.

I'm running an ARB air locker, so I only turn it on when I think I need it... :S
More
10 Jun 2016 19:42 #168318 by Me and my Jimny
Interesting reading about the lockers, so am I right in thinking that the extra grip can put additional strain on the other parts which have then failed ?

Enjoyed the blog Dave, hope the rebuild goes well so we can get another soon
More
10 Jun 2016 20:31 #168321 by supergaz

Me and my Jimny wrote: Interesting reading about the lockers, so am I right in thinking that the extra grip can put additional strain on the other parts which have then failed ?

Enjoyed the blog Dave, hope the rebuild goes well so we can get another soon

Lockrights are very hard on shafts, I switched to ARB airlockers to give the shafts an easier life but an open diff will always be better for the shafts but far less capable off road.
More
10 Jun 2016 21:11 #168327 by mlines
I run an arb locker and my mounts ripped off.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
More
12 Jun 2016 16:49 - 12 Jun 2016 16:52 #168413 by X8GGY
Sorted today...

Had a lie in 'til 9:30 B) usually up at 5:30, so that was nice :laugh: Walked the dogs with the wife for once, and then we had a cooked breakfast, so it was a leisurely 11:30 when I entered the man cave... Perfect! :lol:

Refitted the Zanfi rear Panhard Bracket to the replacement axle casing...

Got the axle reconnected to the radius arms by jacking it up to the extended bump stops to push it into place ;)

And then fitted the new rear ProComp shocks whilst the axle was up on the bumps to check that they weren't too long when compressed, as I feared that was how the AVOs got bent... but no, a good inch and a half before the shocks would top out...?

(That's the new insert sleeve in the bottom of the ProComp shocks... it's a 10mm internal instead of a 12mm, as I use 12 grade long bolts through the bottom shock mounts)

And then with the springs at rest, to check the shocks aren't too long when fully extended, and a similar amount left...

New bolts, spring washers and "strawberry jam" :laugh:

Ready to lift the air locking diff back in...

All back together...

And a replacement prop to fit...

Sorted...

All ready for the Lake District Weekend on the 25th and 26th... B)
Last edit: 12 Jun 2016 16:52 by X8GGY.
  • OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jun 2016 16:57 #168414 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Re:Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
Nice,
Not going to get Redacted to do a beefed up case for you?
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds