BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

More
22 Oct 2019 08:15 - 22 Oct 2019 08:15 #215034 by mlines

S200KYS wrote: Me leading back up after Brettwas

Isn't Brettwas a place in Wales? :) :)

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 22 Oct 2019 08:15 by mlines.
The topic has been locked.
  • Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Oct 2019 08:23 #215037 by Lambert
Yeah I think it's just down the road from Llamedos?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
More
22 Oct 2019 08:48 #215042 by X8GGY
Typo! I was tired... :lol:

So tired, I didn't finish everything, here's some more...

It was a great day out but I sustained some damage :(

I managed to rip the top mount of the rear offside shock absorber off the chassis crossmember again! So that needs welding up again, and some longer shocks ordering... I'm at 5" lift with front diesel JimnyBits springs in the rear to take the weight of S200KYS, but that means they are quite thickly wound so on articulation one side squashes up to the bumpstop but the other side is then forced to articulate down and the shock get spulled too much so that the mount is getting tugged off... again :(

I overheated :( We traced it (thanks to Rob abd Phil whoe were behind me) to a leather work glove jammed in the viscous fan?! It must have been left in the engine bay by some idiot (Me! ;) ) and moved around in the day's bumping around and fell down into the path of the fan...?

On the last 'lane of the day in the semi-dark, I ripped the snorkel top off and scratched the fairly new windscreen :(

Before the trip, I worked out my MOT was dues on the Saturday, the 18th, and the trip was the Sunday - the 20th - so rather than have the MOT before the trip I booked it for yesterday, Monday the 21st, and had an automated text on my phone confirming the appointment if I was stopped by the police or picked up my a NPR camera on the motorways... figured that was better than driving it with faults if it failed before the trip?!

With the damage I had sustained in the Lakes I still put it in for the MOT, if I hadn't of presented it I would still have had to pay for the appointment, and I now have two weeks to get the points sorted and resubmit for a free re-test...

Ummm...

It looks worse than it is? :lol: ... a few minors and three fails relate to the bolt not being in the anti-roll-bar disconnect...

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow?!
Attachments:
More
23 Oct 2019 15:43 #215077 by X8GGY
Repairs started today!

In no particular order... well, easiest first! To ease me in gently ;)

Anti-roll bar has an usafe modification Front (roll bar not locked
Anti roll bar linkage ball joint excessively worn Nearside Front
Anti roll bar linkage ball joint excessively worn Offside Front

Yup...

I forgot to lock the anti-roll-bar disconnect back up! That makes the drop links feel lose too... So those three failures fixed with one small bolt re-inseted! ;)

Prop shaft securing bolt loose Rear

Yup, that's rattled loose at some point :( (just one bolt)

After it's MOT it was handed to the hand car wash next door, that seems to have cleared it! I tested with my garden sprayer that's always in the back full of water and screenwash for cleaning windows, plates and lights at the end of a dat's laning before heading home...

So that was seven kocked off the list, and so time for a cuppa ;)

Position lamp not working Offside Front
Headlamp levelling device inoperative
Headlamp aim to high Nearside

Position lamp? Side light they mean... replacement headlight out of the garage...

Ummm, that could be why?!

New bulb fitted!

New headlight sorted the levelling device (rotary switch above driver's right knee)

And then a couple of visitors arrived - GV42 off this board and his brother) - so I was "forced" to stop for a cuppa and a natter, and to exchange some bits - see the buggy build thred for more details ;)

Checking the aim and adjuster ;)

Not on the MOT failure sheet, but I also damaged my snorkel head on Sunday in the Lake District...

I'd already sourced some more drainpipe elbows, and stole the snorkel head (Southdown Landy one) from the buggy build...

So that was soon sorted B)

Track rod end ball joint has excessive play Offside Front (from steering box drop arm)

Would you believe it?! I had two left hand thread one's in my spares stock, but no right hands? So I jumped on the computer and ordered three - one to fix and two for the spares stock - from JimnyBits so that they'll be here tomorrow / Friday and ready to fit on Sunday...

Then onto the major points... (Continued)
Attachments:
More
23 Oct 2019 15:57 #215078 by X8GGY
(Continued) too many photos for one post!

Suspension arm attachment bracket / mounting likely to fail Offside Rear (Bracket / mount broken n rear axle)

Blimey! Yup, that needs some new tabs making and welding on... let's see what else needs welding first, might as well do them all whilst the MIG is out...?

Suspension component attachment bracket / mounting likely to fail Nearside Rear (Panard rod mount fractured)

Yup, crack in the bottom corner in the photo, that just needs a weld running up inside and out... not too bad?

Shock absorber missing Offside Rear

Missing?

No, it's in the passenger footwell! :lol:

No, seriously, the mounting has snapped again, not my welding, the Suzuki bit...

That will need welding back on through the re-opened flap and extension at the bottom - to be able to see the whole mount, and then I'll weld a square 5mm thick plate over both bits to brace it up some more...

That'll be Sunday's work then?

Until then he's sat forlorn on the drive! :(

It must be remembered with all these repairs, tht Ive been greenlaning S200KYS at least once a month for the last five years, so repairs after this amount abuse are going to be needed... that said, I don't think running 5" of lift is helping... I'll have to plan to get some longer shocks tp help with the articulation it's got... when funds permit! Repairs for now though! More soon...
Attachments:
More
23 Oct 2019 16:00 #215079 by X8GGY
Whoops, missed a couple more -

Driver's seat insecure (bolts loose in frame)

Hmmm, it's not loose, I'll question this when I go back for the retest...

Windscreen damaged but not adversely affecting driver's view

Yes, kast 'lane of the day in the Lakes on Sunday, it stole my snorkel top and scratched the windscreem badly.. a repair / polishing kit has been ordered which should arrive soon...
More
27 Oct 2019 21:40 - 27 Oct 2019 21:44 #215188 by X8GGY
Back to the MOT repairs today...

Track rod ball joint has excessive play Offside Front (from steering box drop arm)

Indeed it did. so I whipped it off and used it to copy the set length against a new one from JimnyBits..

Jacked up tight, with the jack at full stretch it still wouldn't reach so I used a 3" aluminium bodylift block to reach it...

Driver's seat insecure (Bolts loose in frame)

I was going to question this, but indeed when I tried it the bolts had indeed rattled a little bit loose...

Just finished doing that and the missus called me in for breakfast B)

Soon back out again, and...

An eBay purchase is called into play...

Windscreen damaged but not adversely affecting driver;s view

Cutting polish and a pad for the drill... hmm? "snake oil" ?!

There's the bad scuff, some 7" long and half an inch wide... a branch on the last 'lane of the Lakes Day Trip, in the dark...

A few minutes of polishing...

And blimey! It's soon gone! B)

Next... gulp!...

Suspension arm attachment bracket / mounting likely to fail Offside Rear (Bracket / mount broken on rear axle)

I used a spare rear axle casing in the corner of the garage...

To make a cardboard template...

Which were then transferred to 5mm steel plate

That'll do! :)

Then the axle was cleaned up and they were welded in place...

Shock absorber missing Offside Rear

tools and spares, digging tools, spare wheel...
The mount was welded back on, and a 2" square tab welded over the join to strengthen everything back up, the flap in the floor was then welded up and the back of the Jimny refilled - tote box sliders, totes containing

Suspension component attachment bracket / mounting likely to fail Nearside Rear (Panhard rod mount fractured)

The crack was cut into using a slitting disk and then the mount re-welded inside and out, and then painted with black hammerite...

That should be it then? Time to book the re-test this coming week...

I then packed my tools away using the gold Jimny mobile floodlights B)

A few beers and roast beef dinner...

I worked late as I've lost my day off on Wednesday this coming week, so I needed to get everything done today to be within the two week dedline for a free re-test ;)

And we're out greenlaning again on the 10th of November!...! B)
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Oct 2019 21:44 by X8GGY.
  • Lambert
    Registered
More
28 Oct 2019 04:55 #215191 by Lambert
Looks like the man should be happy with all that. The screen kit, was it actually cut into the glass or just a hard smear on the outside? Only I get probably 3/4 of the bramble rash you do including occasionally branches up the screen and so far they have always lifted with autoglym glass polish and a cloth.

More
28 Oct 2019 20:14 - 28 Oct 2019 20:15 #215200 by X8GGY
Damn! :( It didn't pass it's re-test today...

I welded the crack in the corner of the top of the panhard rod mount on the rear axle... the tester says he was referring to a different crack underneath which he has now highlighted with chalk...

And the SuperPro "heavy duty adjustable" £100-ish anti-roll-bar drop links are indeed goosed :( I'll be replacing them with some 'disposable' cheap ones and sending them back for their comments... :evil:

Apart from that... everything else was fine :lol:

So the work falls to this coming Sunday for a lst-chance at a free re-test on Monday then... :blink:
Last edit: 28 Oct 2019 20:15 by X8GGY.
  • Lambert
    Registered
More
29 Oct 2019 05:24 #215205 by Lambert
How annoying. How long have you had those drop links on for doesn't seem like ten minutes since you were installing them?

More
29 Oct 2019 05:53 - 29 Oct 2019 05:54 #215206 by X8GGY
Just had a search back trought the forum...

April 2017 -

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/18-buil...ild?start=864#180507

I'll include those details when I send them back ;)
Last edit: 29 Oct 2019 05:54 by X8GGY.
  • Lambert
    Registered
More
29 Oct 2019 06:59 #215207 by Lambert
I know my off roading isn't as extreme as you do and my car is noticeably lighter but I do off road every single day and my standard drop links are absolutely free of play after 5 odd years. I think you are right in asking questions of the manufacturer.

Time to create page: 0.319 seconds