BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

More
30 May 2018 16:26 #193059 by X8GGY
Whoops... somehow slipped back into posting as Bits4Vits there? :blush:
The topic has been locked.
  • Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
30 May 2018 16:53 - 30 May 2018 17:16 #193062 by Riccy
Well thats tonights entertainment sorted. Blog-a-thon for me :silly:

Interesting about the springs. What sort of money do they run at? They really are working very well on the video highlighted ;-) What is the castor like? ~ depends on the arms/bushes i guess? or do you have a self centering steering damper maybe?

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 30 May 2018 17:16 by Riccy. Reason: autocorrect
More
30 May 2018 17:27 #193063 by maverick
i wonder who took that video?

Jalapeño, IISY?
  • Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 May 2018 19:21 #193068 by Lambert
Depends on the brand but anything from 29 quid upwards. Unmodified they are about 300lbs/in and 427mm free length. I will be testing a modified set in August but in my application they will be shorter and therefore a lot stiffer at nearly 425 lbs/in which could be way way to hard even for track use.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
More
04 Jul 2018 15:27 - 04 Jul 2018 16:41 #193960 by X8GGY
I'd planned a day in the garage today, but halfway through the day making ZookBOB products, my saw blade went blunt, so I ordered a new one ready for Sunday, and thought I'd crack on with S200KYS, as he had something waiting to be fitted -

A super heavy duty front prop from JimnyBits to match the rear one I fitted fairly recently B)

The only "problem" with it was they only had 8mm hole'd ones at the transfer box end, and mine has a 10mm flange...

Hmmm, I thought about clamping a prop spacer to the flange and drilling 10mm holes into the flange of the new propshaft, and indeed Brett ("Maverick" on here and my 'laning buddy) popped one of his in the post for me... But, thinking about it, the right way would be to drill the transfer box flange to have 8mm and 10mm holes so that I could (1) fit either type of prop (usually ran a standard front Jimny prop until now) and (2) if anything went wrong with the prop - not that it should - but I couldn't really do a warranty claim if I'd drilled new holes in it?

I didn't want to wait for the prop spacer to arrive, as today was my day off, and I didn't want to drill through it as a pattern and ruin my good friend's spare prop spacer... So... Hmmm...

Aha!

Find an old 8mm flange'd Prop in the garage (haven't we all got a few just lying around? ;) ) and then chop it off at the UJ! :ohmy:

Clamp that to the transfer box flange...

Stick a super DeWalt metal bit in the cordless drill...

And drill the flange in place! No need to drop the box out?! :lol:

Clamp with one bolt, and then drill the rest...

Et Voila! A dual PCD flange B)

So I can bolt the new prop in -

Super Heavy Duty, like the rear, but with a thinner bit to keep the clearance around the crossmember tube! B)

From the JimnyBits item description -

A HD front prop shaft that is designed for Jimnys that run with the SJ / Samurai transferbox conversion

Often called a rocklobster conversion, where you can use the original jimny front propshaft but they often wear out quickly and don't have a very large spline travel

Comes with a custom designed front yoke to give a higher clearance over the crossmember that is often a problem on some lifted jimnys

This propshaft comes fitted with the 80mm PCD SJ flange with M8 bolt holes, that bolts to the SJ box and then at the other end is the standard 85mm M10 Jimny flange

Extends much more than the original front prop and can run at much higher angles.

60mm diameter tube over the original 50mm tube full spline dust seal to keep water and dirt out

Is fully greaseable and rebuildable and uses UJ's at both ends for maximum strength.

Only works with a SJ / Samurai transfer box fitted into a Jimny

Matches the one at the back ;)
Last edit: 04 Jul 2018 16:41 by X8GGY.
  • Lambert
    Registered
More
05 Jul 2018 05:01 #193987 by Lambert
Dear God man, they wouldn't be out of place on a Scania!

The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY
More
07 Jul 2018 13:59 #194090 by X8GGY

Lambert wrote: Dear God man, they wouldn't be out of place on a Scania!

Or some sort of military vehicle by the colour of them? :woohoo:

Main thing is that it's ready for next weekend up in the Lake District! A little convoy of five Jimnys hopefully!

And we've booked into the same pub with rooms as last year, fantastic evening meal, fantastic breakfast... fantastic waitresses! ;)

:lol:
More
07 Jul 2018 19:47 #194102 by Jezz
I've looked at the jimnybits props a few times, And dare i say it they look very similar to series rust rover props.:( :( :laugh: :laugh:

It's been fettled just a tad.
More
18 Jul 2018 21:23 - 18 Jul 2018 21:29 #194427 by X8GGY
Great weekend greenlaning with the lads in the Lake District! -

Saturday's Blog

Sunday's Blog

Only marred by Brett's new Transfer Box jumping out of drive again, Colin developing Death Wobble from a worn rod-end on the chassis end of the panhard rod, and me ripping the other rear shock mount off... I repaired the offside some months ago, so WHY didn't I repair the nearside too?! :blush:

BUT! Despite all that we had a great weekend! See the blogs above, but here's some highlights -

Clockwise, so left side up on the Saturday, right side down on the Sunday B)

FIVE "BIG JIMNYS" ! ;)

DEER, DEER, deer, deer... ;)

End of Day One, our bed and board for the night, the Blacksmith's Arms in Talkin
Last edit: 18 Jul 2018 21:29 by X8GGY.
More
18 Jul 2018 21:25 #194428 by X8GGY
More
18 Jul 2018 21:34 #194430 by sniper
Class.....

sniper
  • Lambert
    Registered
More
19 Jul 2018 04:28 #194441 by Lambert
Brilliant

Time to create page: 0.322 seconds