×
Search (23 Feb 2018)

A trial enhanced search facility has been enabled. Please use the Google Custom Search above.

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Maplin

More
09 Mar 2018 23:55 #190203 by helijohn
Maplin was created by helijohn
I think I am going to miss Maplin. Mostly it was where I would go if I was in a pickle as a last resort - their prices were a bit too high - but it had gotten me out of trouble on many an occasion. I even bought stuff many times from their eBay outlet.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2018 05:41 #190211 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Maplin
Maplin have gone bust? Oh! I used to get loads of stuff in there.

It's not a Jimny. It's my Jimny

Mooo said Ermintrude (black)
Boing said Zebedee (blue automatic)
Hello said Florence (silver gv 2.4)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2018 07:10 #190214 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Maplin

Lambert wrote: Maplin have gone bust? Oh! I used to get loads of stuff in there.


First it was Tandy, now these. What next for electronics. They ought to have gone online.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2018 07:34 #190215 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Maplin

helijohn wrote:

Lambert wrote: Maplin have gone bust? Oh! I used to get loads of stuff in there.


First it was Tandy, now these. What next for electronics. They ought to have gone online.

They are online?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2018 08:01 #190216 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Maplin

mlines wrote: [They are online?

Yes though I am not sure whether or not that's going now too but I meant online exclusively.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2018 18:16 #190236 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Maplin
Maplin lost its way many years ago in my humble opinion. It was a "go to" as a last resort place for me, mainly as they only ever stocked 1 or more likely 0 of any component. They had plenty of expensive toys or gizmos in store, but as an electronic store the shops offered little. Yes you could order the part and get it posted, but at this point you could order it and get it posted cheaper elsewhere. Sad to see it go,........the world it is a changing .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2018 18:19 #190237 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Maplin
So I went to the local one and even the stuff on 50pc off was dearer than Amazon. Ho hum.

It's not a Jimny. It's my Jimny

Mooo said Ermintrude (black)
Boing said Zebedee (blue automatic)
Hello said Florence (silver gv 2.4)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2018 18:53 #190241 by rappey
Replied by rappey on topic Maplin
I remember many years ago when you wanted an electronic component, or a kit to build something and that was a large part of the store..
Went there a few months ago for a resistor, actually 100 times more expensive than what I could get them from china at, and they had a small rack in the corner that had components..
Shame to see them go as its not always suitable to buy online as you may not know exactly what you need..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2018 19:48 #190243 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Maplin

Scimike wrote: Maplin lost its way many years ago in my humble opinion. It was a "go to" as a last resort place for me, mainly as they only ever stocked 1 or more likely 0 of any component. They had plenty of expensive toys or gizmos in store, but as an electronic store the shops offered little. Yes you could order the part and get it posted, but at this point you could order it and get it posted cheaper elsewhere. Sad to see it go,........the world it is a changing .


Exactly right plus the staff got poorer and poorer in terms of helping.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2018 18:53 #190278 by rappey
Replied by rappey on topic Maplin
I must say the maplins staff in Portsmouth were extremely helpful for me.. Wasted a good half an hr of their time for a 10p item !
I needed to dim right down a led. they helped with getting the right resistor, I would go out to the car for the 12v supply, see how bright the led was then go back in for the next resistor until I finally found the one I was happy with and bought it !
guess its like any store where some are really helpful and some just don't care

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2018 05:47 #191476 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Maplin

rappey wrote: I must say the maplins staff in Portsmouth were extremely helpful for me.. Wasted a good half an hr of their time for a 10p item !
I needed to dim right down a led. they helped with getting the right resistor, I would go out to the car for the 12v supply, see how bright the led was then go back in for the next resistor until I finally found the one I was happy with and bought it !
guess its like any store where some are really helpful and some just don't care


Sounds like they resisted passing comment. See what I did there?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum?view=topic&catid=8&
The following user(s) said Thank You: rappey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2018 06:39 #191477 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Maplin

kirkynut wrote:
Sounds like they resisted passing comment. See what I did there?

Kirkynut


lol
I gottit but it was a struggle.:laugh: :laugh:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

I hope you enjoy using this forum. Please consider making a donation towards the upkeep of this forum website.