BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

• ZukracerV6
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jul 2017 08:57 - 28 Jul 2017 08:57 #183029 by ZukracerV6
Replied by ZukracerV6 on topic Re:2040
I'm already a convert! I've been driving an electric/petrol hybrid Audi A3 for the last 18 months. I love how effortless it cruises around on electric, I can t get enough of the instant torque and power from the electric motor. When both the petrol engine and electric motor is used nothing can get near it! I'm working in Bristol this week and have charged the car in car in the hotel car park each night and then silently cruise around Bristol during the day!

Electric cars are in their infancy at the moment and I can't wait to see the changes and advances in battery technology. 2040 will be beyond our imaginations when it comes to cars!

Diesel is dead, long live electric!

Sam
Last edit: 28 Jul 2017 08:57 by ZukracerV6.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2017 10:04 #183032 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Re:2040

ZukracerV6 wrote:
Diesel is dead, long live electric!

Sam

They said something similar with regard to nitro engined RC helis but it never died. Unfortunately I won't be around to see in 2040) got to be realistic!) and I am curious as to what will happen to gas stations and indeed used car sales in the decade before 2040.

Is the hybrid going to be allowed though?.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
28 Jul 2017 12:13 #183035 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic 2040
They aren't banning petrol and diesel cars altogether, just the sale of new ones. So used combustion engined car sales will continue for some time if the market is still there for them. Petrol stations will become re-charge stations with bigger coffee shops.

More
28 Jul 2017 12:32 #183036 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic 2040

Busta wrote: Petrol stations will become re-charge stations with bigger coffee shops.

Ah yes, we will have a new economy. Funny how 2040 sounds like a motor oil!! And how much will a coffee and charge cost then??

• rappey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jul 2017 17:52 #183045 by rappey
Replied by rappey on topic 2040
Look at a mobile phone from 20 years ago, 4kg, analogue and was the size of a briefcase.
Look at a 20 year old computer... Another 20 years and electric vehicles will be the norm, probably with battery technology leap years ahead of todays lithium ion.

• Gazguzzler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jul 2017 20:03 #183062 by Gazguzzler
Replied by Gazguzzler on topic 2040
My concerns are the raw materials to make these batteries. I once heard (on radio 4) that a lap top takes about 1/2 ton of resources to build and dont forget some of these materials its made from are quite rare. The Carbon footprint is massive for your wee laptop.

But back to the topic, Cars will need to get a lot smaller and lighter - single seaters maybe, as most car journeys are alone?

Phil

More
30 Jul 2017 20:16 #183063 by helijohn

Gazguzzler wrote: My concerns are the raw materials to make these batteries. I once heard (on radio 4) that a lap top takes about 1/2 ton of resources to build and dont forget some of these materials its made from are quite rare. The Carbon footprint is massive for your wee laptop.

But back to the topic, Cars will need to get a lot smaller and lighter - single seaters maybe, as most car journeys are alone?

Phil

The carbon footprint for providing the leccy to charge these cars could be huge too.

More
30 Jul 2017 22:34 #183066 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic 2040
Lets not forget the carbon footprint for oil. Exploration, plant construction, drilling, transport, distribution and then it chucks a whole lot more carbon out when you burn it. The impact of extracting oil from the earth for the past 100 years has been far greater than the impact of building the renewable technologies is ever likely to be. Oil is single use, but a solar panel will repay its carbon footprint in the energy it produces many times over, as will a battery with the energy it stores.

You can't use the green arguments to dismiss the green technologies!

More
30 Jul 2017 23:23 #183067 by helijohn

Busta wrote: Lets not forget the carbon footprint for oil. Exploration, plant construction, drilling, transport, distribution and then it chucks a whole lot more carbon out when you burn it. The impact of extracting oil from the earth for the past 100 years has been far greater than the impact of building the renewable technologies is ever likely to be. Oil is single use, but a solar panel will repay its carbon footprint in the energy it produces many times over, as will a battery with the energy it stores.

You can't use the green arguments to dismiss the green technologies!

I was simply thinking of what fuel is used to make the electricity.

Gas, coal, oil or even nuclear enough to run every car in the country.

More
31 Jul 2017 07:27 #183068 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic 2040
Let's get it right only pure petrol/diesel driven cars will be banned. If you dig down hybrids and alternative fuel cars will still be allowed.
At the moment it only applies to CARS and existing vehicles will be exempt..
That leaves the door open for LPG or hydrogen. The internal combustion engine is not dead yet.
I can see hybrids being more popular as they get round the range problem and possibly the introduction of electric only zones in towns/cities so you drive to work and switch over to electric.
There is also a diesel fuel called GTL (gas to liquid) which is very clean and my brothers recent diesel BMW uses ADBLUE the same as current trucks have.
One other point how much is the govt going to charge to cover the loss of fuel duties and road tax if everyone goes over to electric? Worth a thought.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

More
31 Jul 2017 16:34 #183073 by helijohn

gilburton wrote: If you dig down hybrids and alternative fuel cars will still be allowed.

Yes though early reporting was confusing.

More
01 Aug 2017 00:08 #183080 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic 2040

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds