BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Caravan, roof tent or tent cot?

More
11 Jul 2017 10:36 - 11 Jul 2017 11:04 #182639 by yakuza
Caravan, preferably a Kip Kompakt or Predom Poletta Nieawidow or similar.

light weight at 350-500kg but big enough to sleep inside. most of the KIP's has 200+kg of load capacity.
KIP can have moisture issues inside the walls. Poletta is better with glass fiber walls, but they are ugly.
They can be left at parking lot or camp before going laning. Requires larger engine fitted to your jimny to keep smiling.
about 2-3000£

roof tent
big and bulky on top and access is a pain i guess.
about 1000£

Make my own camper:

Roof tent or similar can be mounted on my SJ 0,5 trailer if i remove the hardtop. Maybe lenghten the trailer by 40cm so it can be used for sleeping with the hardtop? No license plate on the trailer yet, so not road legal. too much work for a good usable result perhaps..

tent cot
easier to get rid of before laning than the roof tent. cheaper, easier access. often more hassle to set up before sleeping time.
kamprite.com/shop/tents/tri-fold-series/...e-original-tent-cot/
about 300£

prices mostly norwegian price level, might be different in UK.
Any thoughts on better alternatives?
experiences?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2017 11:04 by yakuza. Reason: added link to tent cot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2017 10:56 #182640 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Caravan, roof tent or tent cot?
Just googled tent cot, I think there a good idea.

More
11 Jul 2017 11:07 - 11 Jul 2017 11:09 #182642 by yakuza
A Tent Cot is an affordable and no hassle solution. way cheaper than a roof tent.
China made brands also available.

But other overlanding solutions like a camper, offroading trailer and roof tent has a higher NIF. (neighbour impressive factor) :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2017 11:09 by yakuza.

More
11 Jul 2017 11:21 #182643 by Busta
As the owner of a tent only campsite I might be biased, but what is wrong with a regular tent? They work with any car without affecting performance. There is loads of choices depending on your criteria e.g. size, headroom, pitch time, durability, looks. You can make them as comfy as you like- plenty of options for different mattresses, cots etc.
You could have a palace of a tent and every creature comfort you require for less than the cost of a tiny roof tent.
Roof tents only make sense to me if you are crossing the Sahara. Everytime you use the car you have to pack away your tent. For the 50 weeks a year your aren't using it you need somewhere to store it.
Caravans are quick and convenient once you get to a campsite but dragging then around the countryside is pretty boring. The ones that suit a Jimny are cramped to the point of being annoying- having to pack away the kitchen to make the bed etc. They are expensive. Storage when you aren't using it is a pain.
Tent cot is a bit of an oddity. There's no space for doing anything except for sleeping, but it's still massively bulky and awkward.

More
11 Jul 2017 11:23 #182644 by yakuza
Maybe i should just loose the hardtop on the trailer i made and put a tent cot or roof tent there..
My trailer has been in storage for ten years almost now, got to get it home and finish the project now.. soon.. some day..

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2017 11:47 #182645 by Daniel30
Yeah make your own B) B)

More
11 Jul 2017 11:52 #182646 by yakuza

Busta wrote: As the owner of a tent only campsite I might be biased, but what is wrong with a regular tent? They work with any car without affecting performance. There is loads of choices depending on your criteria e.g. size, headroom, pitch time, durability, looks. You can make them as comfy as you like- plenty of options for different mattresses, cots etc.
You could have a palace of a tent and every creature comfort you require for less than the cost of a tiny roof tent.
Roof tents only make sense to me if you are crossing the Sahara. Everytime you use the car you have to pack away your tent. For the 50 weeks a year your aren't using it you need somewhere to store it.
Caravans are quick and convenient once you get to a campsite but dragging then around the countryside is pretty boring. The ones that suit a Jimny are cramped to the point of being annoying- having to pack away the kitchen to make the bed etc. They are expensive. Storage when you aren't using it is a pain.
Tent cot is a bit of an oddity. There's no space for doing anything except for sleeping, but it's still massively bulky and awkward.

Norwegian weather..i live on the north west coast, but i will use it mostly during the summer of course. I am using a tent now. a crappy one. Storage when it is not in use is a good point, but now i allready got the trailer and i have the space for it as i have had for years.. I can fit a regular tent inside it easily though. But then there is the NIF :) as i mentioned.
For any of these solutions i was not thinking of doing anything else but sleeping inside, and for the trailer options to transport more gear. For camping i spend all of the time outside anyways. Have been camping for years with a large caravan like the one in the picture above. I have pulling it with another car than the jimny of course. So i would like something more than my tent. A roof tent on the roof is way to impractical for my taste so i guess some solution with the trailer is the most likely option.
Tent cot for ease of use and a more flat and dry ground than what norwegian nature usually provides.

• ZukracerV6
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2017 15:09 - 11 Jul 2017 15:10 #182648 by ZukracerV6
Replied by ZukracerV6 on topic Caravan, roof tent or tent cot?
How about a off road themed/military teardrop trailer if your after something different. Plenty of build guides and forums on the teardrops. Always fancied one for my 1944 Willys MB...

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Jul 2017 15:10 by ZukracerV6.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2017 16:16 #182649 by Daniel30
Or a trailer tent, I had a Conway one once 8 berth when you opened it up it was like the tardis! :laugh: and you can still strap things to the top of the trailer when it's closed up ;)

More
11 Jul 2017 20:06 #182658 by Keithy
For my next project I'm going to combine the features of the Trayon with the Wedgetail......all onto a Jimny trayback.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2017 21:52 #182664 by Daniel30
Impressive Keithy

More
11 Jul 2017 22:27 #182665 by Busta
How about putting the Jimny seats into 'bed' mode? Could easily be made comfortable enough for a singleman with a couple of extra bits of foam. People turn Nissan Micras into campers...

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds