BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

EU referendum debate

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Jun 2016 03:53 #169115 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic EU referendum debate
What amuses me with that scenario is that the Scottish and Northern Ireland leaders think that the EU would have them back with open arms, when in reality without the backup of England's financial services industry their economies are too weak to meet the entry requirements. The people of Scotland especially have worked this out for themselves hence the result of the last referendum on them splitting the Union.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2016 07:09 #169117 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic EU referendum debate

ZookFastback wrote: View from Oz on the Brexit and other irrelevant opinions :evil:

One thing to come out of Brexit: I can envisage a United Celtic States of Scotland, Ireland and Wales remaining in the EU... and a Dis-United Kingdom of England cast adrift and sailing into the Atlantic. All Cricketers and Rugby players to develop Celtic Accents and apply to emigrate to the few English speaking places left in the United Celtic States. :side:

Other than that, things are as per normal. :whistle:

I don't know if you have noticed but apart from in times of football the word England is hardly used. Generally it seems to me that the other UK countries get named many times more. This may have been part of the problem. On official forms I tend not to see England as an option.
I assume Cameron expected, along with the financial institutions (and therein also lies the problem), that the country would be greatly in favour of staying just as we expected Scotland to vote that way. Otherwise why would he offer a referendum knowing it could be the end in more ways than one. If he did realise it was a risk and reports indicate he liked to take chances, then he should see it through. I don't believe it was to appease some of his Tory back benchers. Or is it that like so many others he saw a future after leaving office in a nice little job in the EU. Only the Bank of England seems to have seen this coming.

As for Scotland remaining.......watch this space. Too my sheer amazement I suspect Sturgeon may find a way to do a deal with the EU while we and her are still in it. We couldn't get a real deal with the Commission but I suspect she might as the EU might be vindictive and bend some rules. This would be disastrous as some of the financials might end up in Edinburgh.
Should Scotland have been left to go independent in 2014???

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• gokturkmehmet
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jun 2016 22:01 - 25 Jun 2016 22:02 #169154 by gokturkmehmet
Replied by gokturkmehmet on topic EU referendum debate
Britain was never fully in. Was not in Eurozone. Was not in Schengen zone. It was kind of privileged member. That, in a way, backfired.

Although I have a special passport that does not require visa for continental europe, I still need visa to travel GB.

Exit is bad. The worse is that keeping the word "we will keep economic ties strong" in mouth. İf it comes to share burden "exit". If it comes to share wealth and profit "good relations". yeah right.

That's what we have been feeling (As Turks here) for the last 53 years since Turkey applied for membership to EU. Marriage is for good and bad days. The other is called as prostitution.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2016 22:02 by gokturkmehmet.

More
25 Jun 2016 22:37 #169156 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic EU referendum debate

gokturkmehmet wrote: Britain was never fully in. Was not in Eurozone. Was not in Schengen zone. It was kind of privileged member. That, in a way, backfired.

Interesting...............How so?

The issue for me was that I see the EU meddling too much in our affairs. I voted for the Common Market which I considered a good thing because to trade with countries is sensible but I did not ever expect it to become the political union that it has now become.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• gokturkmehmet
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jun 2016 07:40 - 26 Jun 2016 07:44 #169162 by gokturkmehmet
Replied by gokturkmehmet on topic EU referendum debate

helijohn wrote:

gokturkmehmet wrote: Britain was never fully in. Was not in Eurozone. Was not in Schengen zone. It was kind of privileged member. That, in a way, backfired.

Interesting...............How so?

The issue for me was that I see the EU meddling too much in our affairs. I voted for the Common Market which I considered a good thing because to trade with countries is sensible but I did not ever expect it to become the political union that it has now become.

As far as your "common market" opinion I agree. Maybe for all countries in EU.

The thing is (above what I said) since UK was not in Eurozone and Schengen, exit seemed much more easier for government and people. And it is. Otherwise they would not even take it to referandum before making it sure that it will go through.

EU was meddling too much in your affairs. true..because you were EU. :)
Same opinions are a lot in Turkey, many people here think that Turkey is a sovereign country where EU cannot dictate things. But, EU is not another country. We should "believe" the idea. It might be wrong from the beginning I agree on that part as I said.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2016 07:44 by gokturkmehmet.

More
27 Jun 2016 18:08 #169214 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic EU referendum debate

Indeed and with a drive to create a single European 'state' the UK would have been side-lined and without influence. The SNP want to take over the UKs EU membership as a way to avoid meeting the requirements of a new member of the union. I expect that if the EU hastens the single state then the Scottish option will be to be part of the EU or part of the UK - independence isn't going to be a real option.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gokturkmehmet

More
27 Jun 2016 18:11 #169216 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic EU referendum debate

11/60 wrote: What amuses me with that scenario is that the Scottish and Northern Ireland leaders think that the EU would have them back with open arms, when in reality without the backup of England's financial services industry their economies are too weak to meet the entry requirements. The people of Scotland especially have worked this out for themselves hence the result of the last referendum on them splitting the Union.

I would like to see how Mr Salmond's predictions look now with the current price of oil.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jun 2016 03:39 #169234 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic EU referendum debate
Wonder how the soccer went against that tiny teeny little country with 300,000 people? :whistle:

Cos, if you can't kick them when they're down, when can you kick them? :woohoo:

More
28 Jun 2016 04:44 #169238 by gusthegorilla
Replied by gusthegorilla on topic EU referendum debate
Not only did we vote to come out of the EU, looks like out of the Euros was part of the deal, too :whistle:

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Jun 2016 06:23 #169241 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic EU referendum debate
I have to say that what is irritating me is all the media coverage of the remain campaigns sore loosing and indeed the rhetoric remain are using. Anyone would think we had voted on mass to legally enforce baby eating not leave a broken economic and political system.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Northern-Wanderer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jun 2016 23:07 #169306 by Northern-Wanderer
Replied by Northern-Wanderer on topic EU referendum debate

11/60 wrote: I have to say that what is irritating me is all the media coverage of the remain campaigns sore loosing and indeed the rhetoric remain are using. Anyone would think we had voted on mass to legally enforce baby eating not leave a broken economic and political system.

TOO TRUE

• talby2491
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jun 2016 08:33 #169311 by talby2491
Replied by talby2491 on topic EU referendum debate
Voted out glad we are out trade deals with other countries we previously were barred from trading with are opening up been called everything under the sun but don't care never had the gonads to say it to my face so why worry

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds