BigJimny Meet 2019 (17 May 2019)

BigJimny Meet and off-road driving day

20TH OCTOBER 2019

BOOKING CLOSES SUNDAY 6th OCTOBER! - CLICK HERE to BOOK

See HERE for details - See HERE for discussion

Noggin and Natter - pre-event chat - Old Bell at Grazeley (part of hotel) 7:30pm 19th October

BigJimny Meet 2019 discussion

• Andy2640
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    Registered
  • Its better to have tried and failed.
More
02 Sep 2019 11:21 #212975 by Andy2640

amtech1 wrote: Thanks ‘me and my jimny’ us Gen 4 owners are struggling at the moment with aftermarket recovery points because there isn’t actually anything currently available for them. If it is required I’m sure the factory tie down/tow points should be fine for light recovery (unable to gain traction and require a light pull) not aggressive recovery (stuck in a big bog) because the front tow point has to be suitable for towing (if you break down or recovery onto trucks but us gen 4 owners will probably not attempting that sort of stuff :) I’m aware we can get a tow bar fitted on the back and use a bar with that but don’t fancy a tow bar on the back as not required.

Ive found a nice front bumper available from japan. It has x2 recovery shackles, but rated to 3.5 tons each. Would this rating be suitable for a good tug out the mud?? If not, what kinda ton rating would be suitable? Thanks.

A wise man once said...... When we are Mean, Shout at People, Lose our Tempers, Swear, and generally act like Tool Bags, Never forget ..... We are all Cavemen in Suits, Uniforms and/or Overalls ..... Living in Semi-Concrete Jungles. Andy - 2019 AD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2019 11:27 #212976 by amtech1
Do you have a link for this bumper?
Thanks

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Sep 2019 11:43 #212978 by Lambert
Under normal circumstances a recovery is usually expected to upto about 2.5 times the weight of the stuck vehicle when working in deep mud. This factors in the suction of the mud and also the weight of the mud being displaced by the act of being dragged and obviously the actual weight of the car. This is a guide and it's quite possible to remove even the most sturdy recovery points if you are seriously stuck or don't know what you're doing. Having multiple points is advisable both for versatility of recovery and also dispersal of force. That said even without any recovery points there are going to be enough people with experience on site to solve problems.

Dreadnaught (black 2011)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

More
02 Sep 2019 12:14 #212980 by mlines

Lambert wrote: That said even without any recovery points there are going to be enough people with experience on site to solve problems.

Exactly, there will be enough of us there and there is enough firm ground for everyone to try their Jimnys out.

The new Gen4 tie-down points are even worse than the older Gen3 but keep within your capabilites and it will not be a problem. If you look at Suzuki demonstrators off-roading they do not have additional recovery points.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
08 Sep 2019 11:43 #213284 by Fossie
So further to my earlier post, I have booked my daughter and possibly her male friend to come and join you. Take care and do take the rise.....she is a groom so used to mud and st:t , has a class 3 hgv so can drive....but playing in the mud on 4 wheels will be new experience.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
09 Sep 2019 05:16 #213312 by Lambert
I'm sure plenty of new learning experiences will be available! It'll be fine.

Dreadnaught (black 2011)

More
09 Sep 2019 08:41 #213322 by Daniel30
My daughter is coming with me as she loves the off roading probably have a drive round and looks after horses too :)

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Sep 2019 17:30 #213374 by Lambert
Is it wrong that I'm so excited about this and the drive down that I am making a special playlist for the 4 hour trip?

I CAN'T WAIT!

Dreadnaught (black 2011)

• Andy2640
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    Registered
  • Its better to have tried and failed.
More
10 Sep 2019 17:53 - 10 Sep 2019 17:55 #213379 by Andy2640

Lambert wrote: Is it wrong that I'm so excited about this and the drive down that I am making a special playlist for the 4 hour trip?

I CAN'T WAIT!

Amen Lord Lambert! :) :) :) :)

A wise man once said...... When we are Mean, Shout at People, Lose our Tempers, Swear, and generally act like Tool Bags, Never forget ..... We are all Cavemen in Suits, Uniforms and/or Overalls ..... Living in Semi-Concrete Jungles. Andy - 2019 AD.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2019 17:55 by Andy2640. Reason: No not wrong! Im doin a playlist too, hahaa
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
10 Sep 2019 18:03 #213381 by Gadget

Lambert wrote: Is it wrong that I'm so excited about this and the drive down that I am making a special playlist for the 4 hour trip?

I CAN'T WAIT!

Roadtrip mixtape! B)

More
10 Sep 2019 18:30 #213383 by Daniel30
Sounds like a good plan to me ;)

More
12 Sep 2019 18:09 #213438 by ow3x3xpr3ss
Hi all, how are we going to prove our booking once we are arrived there!?

Cheers, Ovidiu

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds