BigJimny Meet 2019 (17 May 2019)

BigJimny Meet and off-road driving day

20TH OCTOBER 2019

BOOKING CLOSES SUNDAY 6th OCTOBER! - CLICK HERE to BOOK

See HERE for details - See HERE for discussion

Noggin and Natter - pre-event chat - Old Bell at Grazeley (part of hotel) 7:30pm 19th October

BigJimny Meet 2019 discussion

More
18 Aug 2019 20:16 #212268 by DAGZOOK
This Event has planted the seed! I'm contemplating a new set of shoes for the Zook so that I can get in and out in one piece.

Is anyone with a gen. 4 planning to run stock tyres?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2019 20:27 #212269 by Soeley

DAGZOOK wrote: This Event has planted the seed! I'm contemplating a new set of shoes for the Zook so that I can get in and out in one piece.

Is anyone with a gen. 4 planning to run stock tyres?

I still have standard tyres, I have done a day up at Cowm quarry and a day on some green lanes in the Yorkshire Dales, they have been absolutely faultless so far. I don't think I will go for ATs until these wear out.

More
18 Aug 2019 20:37 - 18 Aug 2019 20:38 #212271 by DAGZOOK
Soley that's what my head is telling me to do. I love how the car drives as a daily on the stock tyres, but I think long-term a second set of steelies with a more aggressive tyre would be sensible for adventures? A set of steelies for the zook with MT tyres already fitted any balanced from 4x4tyres.com is still cheaper than a set of 5 BFG K02's :laugh: :laugh:
Last edit: 18 Aug 2019 20:38 by DAGZOOK.

More
18 Aug 2019 21:05 #212272 by Soeley
Oh, don't tell me that, I still have to get rid of the summer wheel/tyre combo from my previous car. I was hoping the one set would do me for the Jimny :laugh:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Aug 2019 04:29 #212276 by Lambert
It will. I have been using various road pattern tyres on various gen3 Jimny for the last 13 odd years. Never had one so stuck that unhitching from whatever I was dragging wouldn't have it drive out under it's own power. Done countless hours of fairly interesting off road driving and never had a problem. That said things have only improved with the advent of using the bfg urban terrain a few years ago, they should have been the factory fitment. I know October is a clay pit with ample opportunities to get very stuck but it shouldn't be a justification in and of itself for buying new tyres.

Dreadnaught (black 2011)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

More
19 Aug 2019 08:37 - 19 Aug 2019 08:38 #212279 by DAGZOOK

Lambert wrote: It will. I have been using various road pattern tyres on various gen3 Jimny for the last 13 odd years. Never had one so stuck that unhitching from whatever I was dragging wouldn't have it drive out under it's own power. Done countless hours of fairly interesting off road driving and never had a problem. That said things have only improved with the advent of using the bfg urban terrain a few years ago, they should have been the factory fitment. I know October is a clay pit with ample opportunities to get very stuck but it shouldn't be a justification in and of itself for buying new tyres.

Thank you for being the voice of Reason Lambert! I will probably keep this as a long term Solution, as I feel that for some of the trips that I have planned I will require more robust tyres. Time to keep my eyes peeled for a 2nd hand set of zook steelies! B)
Last edit: 19 Aug 2019 08:38 by DAGZOOK.

More
19 Aug 2019 09:13 #212280 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic BigJimny Meet 2019 discussion
The stock tyres are surprisingly competent.

As we used to say back in my instructor days, if you want to upgrade your vehicle, the biggest change you can make is to the nut behind the steering wheel.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
21 Aug 2019 06:09 #212436 by Lambert
Was going through stores last night and happened upon my old Midland and burner. Will have a look for the twig and have a test fire see if it all still works. Ten four etc.

Dreadnaught (black 2011)

More
22 Aug 2019 21:27 #212555 by Fossie
Contemplating booking my daughter on as we can't get there on this occasion (gutted).
It may seem a like a question that dosen't need asking , but will there be those who can offer advice on the novice circuit as I intend it to give confidence in poor condition driving , as she lives in the sticks and in the winter it is challenging .....hence the Jimny .
Cheers.

More
22 Aug 2019 22:44 #212556 by Gadget
Absolutely. I'm no expert, but I, and I'm sure others will be sharing advice and spotting for each other on the course. The number of Gen4 owners attending is likely to weight things away from gung-ho driving to avoid scratching our lovely new cars :P

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 Aug 2019 04:09 #212558 by Lambert

Fossie wrote: Contemplating booking my daughter on as we can't get there on this occasion (gutted).
It may seem a like a question that dosen't need asking , but will there be those who can offer advice on the novice circuit as I intend it to give confidence in poor condition driving , as she lives in the sticks and in the winter it is challenging .....hence the Jimny .
Cheers.

Willingly. And I'm sure others will be able to too.

Dreadnaught (black 2011)

More
27 Aug 2019 18:55 #212754 by Mole
Replied by Mole on topic BigJimny Meet 2019 discussion
Really looking forward to this and not long to wait now. Iv never done a pay and play day before only ever laned what will I need to bring obv tools but recovery gear iv got tow ropes, strops and have a winch fitted but no winch blanket?

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds