BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Sell your bits!
NOTE: This is for members and their private sales/wants.
There are rules that suppliers have to follow (and many of you do follow the rules). However there have been a number of instances recently where "suppliers" have broken the rules.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum

Wanted: Underbody protectors

More
15 Jun 2018 11:54 #193484 by Bosanek
I need the following underbody protectors:

- 4 piece set for radius arm to chassis mounts
- 2 piece set for rear shock absorber to rear axle mounts
- 2 piece set for front shock absorber to front axle mounts

Both new and second hand condition are acceptable, as long as the second hand ones are not beat up (bent a lot).

I know that these can be bought from JimnyBits, but I find them a bit expensive.
Does anyone know of any other sources of these protectors?

Also, does anyone have a mounting kit for the steering damper to sell (the plates which go to the chassis rail and to the tie rod)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2018 15:04 #193551 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Wanted: Underbody protectors
Strange comment that you find JimnyBits a little expensive? I and a few other sellers in the UK think they are too cheap and have under-valued the Suzuki aftermarket parts business?

What are you comparing their prices with to make you think they are a little expensive? I mean, where have you seen these sort of guards cheaper?

Dave - Bits4Vits / ZookBOB

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
17 Jun 2018 16:07 #193552 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Wanted: Underbody protectors
I agree, JB are pretty cheap considering they have to buy/make parts, market them and run a website and warehouse. Maybe its shipping outside the UK thats expensive?

The guards mentioned are all pretty simple things, I would think the only way to get them cheaper would be to buy some steel and make them. They are all just bent bits of metal after all, a simple bench vice and a grinder would probably be enough to make something similar.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2018 17:33 #193555 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Wanted: Underbody protectors
Honestly.. all these guards/protectors you mention. They're just a waste of money.

The radius arm chassis mount guards just bolt to the mount itself, so does not in any way provide any protection at all. If anything it's more like making the surface bigger and sitting lower making it easier to hit rocks and such, putting more stress to that single bolt holding both the guard and radius arm.

The rear shock guards are just as much a waste of money. The ony direction from which they may be of sligth use is if comes from directly underneath the axle. But as you usually moving forward the guards to stick to all sorts of stuff. Ruts, rocks, muds and such. So doesn't take long before the guards looks more like a bent piece of metal from the scrapyard. Again,the guards are only installed with one bolt.

When it comes to the rear shocks. It's much better to spend some money on proper grade 12.9 bolts.

More
07 Jul 2018 08:11 - 07 Jul 2018 08:15 #194080 by Bosanek
Excuse me for the late reply.

Regarding the price of JimnyBits guards, I acknowledge that their pricing is on par with other equivalent Jimny guards from other sources.

But when I said "I find them a bit expensive" I meant "they are a bit expensive for my wallet" :)
International postage is another factor of course as these are heavy items.

Regarding the usefulness of the guards, it is correct that a single bolt is still the only force bearing part for most guards except for the transfer box guard. However, the radius arm to chassis mounts guards at least protect the lips of the mounts and the casing end of the radius arm (in which the bush sits). I have bent the lips of the mounts a few times and had to bend them back into place.

What do the others think abou the usefulness of the guards?
Last edit: 07 Jul 2018 08:15 by Bosanek. Reason: Additional question

More
07 Jul 2018 11:26 #194087 by X8GGY
Thanks for clarifying your views on pricing ;)

I run radius arm guards for the reasons you've already given, front shock guards as they also strengthen the shock mounting, and I have a Redacted bucket around my transfer box, if not I would have made a plate under it...

More
07 Jul 2018 15:03 #194096 by X8GGY
Hmmm, talking of underbody protection... I see JimnyBits have redesigned their rear shock guards so that they now bolt to both of the radius arms bolts...

That's betterer! ;)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
07 Jul 2018 21:06 #194108 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Wanted: Underbody protectors
I agree with Dave that the radius arm guards are helpful as these are some of the most frequently hit parts. the guard sort of wraps around and uses the original bolt as well as a new locator bolt. They do collect mud and grass a bit, but nothing a pressure washer cant sort.

The front shock guards are a help as they brace the shock mount well and give a strong skid on an exposed part.

The older rear shock guards are pretty poor and just collect crap mostly. They bent too easily as well, the new design Dave linked above looks much better.

I have the front axle guard on still as i like it, but that will be getting trussed and braced soon to match the rear so the guard will go. the rear guard caused a diff oil leak after being bashed a few times so its been gone a while now.

Wasnt very impressed with the t-box guard as i found it collected long grass something rotten. this was nearly a fire as the exhaust is covered by it as well and was touching the stuck grass. using a Redacted bucket now :-)

I can see what Tom says about extra weight, but i do feel these guards have saved the day a few times, so im keeping mine.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds