BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Sell your bits!
NOTE: This is for members and their private sales/wants.
There are rules that suppliers have to follow (and many of you do follow the rules). However there have been a number of instances recently where "suppliers" have broken the rules.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum

R72 Gearbox Jimny 2010 or newer with low milage SOLVED Found one in Norway.

More
08 Apr 2018 17:24 - 11 Apr 2018 17:26 #191454 by yakuza
Wanted.
tips or links also appreciated. 30-40000miles max. as most of these gets a bearing breakdown sooner or later.

In Norway all (most) scrappers puts all their parts in one common database.
Is there a similar service in the UK?.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 11 Apr 2018 17:26 by yakuza.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Apr 2018 19:33 - 08 Apr 2018 21:40 #191459 by jim
Hi Yakuza, if you dont have any success like me in sourcing another Gbox then you may want to consider doing what I did and fit a rebuild kit from eBay. My mechanic fitted it with a new exedy clutch and its been great now for a couple of years.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2018 21:40 by jim. Reason: Ebay link removed

More
08 Apr 2018 21:41 #191469 by yakuza
Too late, was about to order these when the bearings collapsed and broke off parts of the gears along with it..
My advice would be that if you have the slightest sound, park your car and order bearings before it is too late.

Anyone got a tip on a thrustworthy english scrapper? From what i see on the TV-shows I am not so sure if there is any. :) ?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Apr 2018 22:21 #191471 by jim
ASM I believe are a large vehicle scrapping company. I got an A/C pump for the jimny for £70 when Suzuki wanted over £700

More
09 Apr 2018 19:21 #191491 by Max Headroom
Reading all articles on the R72 g'box and its issues, I am absolutely flabbergasted that nobody has jumped at the chance of refurbishing these gearboxes in order to supply them refurbished on an exchange basis.
Its quite clear that they are in some demand, and with the amount of vehicles that seem to be being broken up and scrapped I would have thought that more R72 g'boxes would have been available.
Why is this not happening?

I have a small amount of concern with mine in so much as metallic particles were found in the box during a recent drain and refill.
I'm not aware of any horrible noises while driving the car, though once warmed up there is a faint whine when at idle - I'm not even sure if that's the gearbox though.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
11 Apr 2018 16:29 #191573 by Bosanek
Isn't it correct that R72 gearboxes rarely fail suddenly?

If I am properly informed, the typical failure of these gearboxes usually develops gradually, with sufficient acoustic and behavioral warnings to be able to take a remedy on time, before the inner parts disintegrate and create extensive damage.

Or have many people had sudden catastrophic failures?

More
11 Apr 2018 17:22 - 12 Apr 2018 10:20 #191575 by yakuza
I have been used to hearing bearing sounds all the time both from my own SJ413 gearboxes and from other mech equipment. I thought my gearbox was not so bad but i had been hearing hissing noise for a while. not so loud, but it was there i was planning to order the bearings last Thursday, but i was interrupted by something at work so did not get around to it.
So during the weekend i had a 10km drive and noticed the sound had gotten worse.
still way less than my SJ gearbox.
Parked the car and went to a party, left the car.
Then next day I went to collect the car and when i was driving home after 5 km drive half way home, it went out with a bang.

Max: there is such service both in the UK thru KAP Suzuki and some german company on ebay..
prices are not terrifying but varies.
EDIT: it was CAM suzuki not KAP.

For me the sulution was the last one in a norwegian scrapper, with 41000km from 2013. On its way now.

thanks for all replies!

Last edit: 12 Apr 2018 10:20 by yakuza. Reason: Wrong info: it was CAM suzuki not KAP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Max Headroom

More
11 Apr 2018 17:44 #191579 by Max Headroom

yakuza wrote:
Max: there is such service both in the UK thru KAP Suzuki and some German company on eBay..
prices are not terrifying but varies.

Thanks Yakuza.
It could be that I've just been spoiled rotten over the years with my involvement with MGs - there is nothing that cant be bought, recycled, refurbished or exchanged and MGs are rarely ever scrapped these days; body shells have to be be excessively bad for a car to be destroyed.

With the enthusiastic following that the Jimny clearly has I'm just a bit surprised things aren't more prolific.

I haven't looked at KAP Suzuki yet but I do recall my brother mentioning them in a favourable context so I will go and investigate :)

More
12 Apr 2018 10:20 #191614 by yakuza
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationMy bad:

it was CAM suzuki not KAP. Note to self: Do not trust your own recollection..

• doddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2018 11:15 #191618 by doddy
my 2007 jimny developed a gearbox whine about two weeks ago ; the old chap I bought it from was a diy mechanic ; I jacked the car up and a large amount of oil ran on to the floor ; so I am wondering if he has not replaced the bolt correctly ; I will be checking this weekend

More
12 Apr 2018 20:00 #191641 by Max Headroom

yakuza wrote: it was CAM suzuki not KAP..

LOOOL I knew what I meant :lol: :lol:

Holy cow that aint cheap though :ohmy: But I assume that bought outright rather than exchanged

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds