BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Discuss the BigJimny Shop and Website in this section. Whats good, whats bad, whats ugly! - what would you like to see!

Wiki changes for Gen4 model

More
27 Jan 2019 16:14 #201856 by Gadget
@mlines @bosanek

I wanted to start adding info to the Wiki for the new model, but think adding it into the existing Gen3 pages is going to get confusing.

I don't have permissions to create new links from the main wiki page, so wondered what the owners thought about renaming the current "The Workshop Manual" and "Jimny Info" tables to "Gen3 Workshop Manual" and "Gen3 Jimny Info" then creating duplicate tables below for "Gen4 Workshop Manual" and "Gen4 Jimny Info"?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2019 16:53 #201857 by mlines
Renaming has a lot of issues as it breaks existing links, such as links to the wiki from outside webpages.

My preference is to create little coloured info boxes on the pages saying "Applies to Gen 3" and/ or "Applies to Gen 4" - each info box linking to a page that has a picture of a Gen 3 or Gen 4 so it's clear to people which is which.

At the bottom of the pages we have category tags as well. By setting these on each page then they can be filtered to the correct car

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
09 Feb 2019 03:27 - 09 Feb 2019 03:31 #202842 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Wiki changes for Gen4 model
I gave some considerable thought on this matter.

Although renaming the existing pages might appear as the ideal solution at a first glance, it is practically very "costly" for two reasons. First is the sheer amount of work on renaming all of them. Second is the consequence of broken links like Martin pointed out. Broken links can be solved with phantom redirecting pages, but this process would create somewhere more than a hundred of them.

The other quite interesting solution might be to have two completely separate wikis - one for Gen 3 and the other for Gen 4.
This might as well be the "cleanest" solution. Its main advantage is that it avoids any chances of confusion among the readers and any risks of mixing up the content.
However, there are quite a few wiki articles which can (for the most part at least) apply to any Jimny generation, and those would have to be duplicated, making any future changes to them a double work to implement.
Examples: Universal joint replacement, Fluids and filters - proper selection, Oil additives, Transmission breathers, Tie rod end replacement, Tyre selection and usage, Wheel spacers, Brake pipes and hoses replacement, Rust protection, etc.etc.

The third solution is what Martin suggested - to just create two additional "tags" and apply them to each article.
This sounds like a good start, but I think that it is insufficient just on itself.

Remember, the goal is to avoid two things:
1. Mixing up of unrelated gen3/gen4 specific articles, so that a reader can not discern what is for what;
2. Creating duplicated articles so that any future change demands changing them both (double work);

These two goals are a bit contradictory, so no solution can ideally solve both completely at the same time.

So after all the consideration, I think that this might be the best solution given all the circumstances:

Keep it all in one wiki, but make separate analogous categories for gen3 and for gen4. So, each of the existing categories would be created for gen4 as well (and have a different name to differentiate from from an existing category). Then each new and existing article can be associated with any combination of all the wiki categories. In an addition to this, implement Martin's idea about gen3 and gen4 pictograms article "tags".

Here is what I suggest to do in specific steps:

Rename the existing tables "The Workshop info" and "Jimny info" in the main Wiki page to " Jimny gen 3 - The Workshop info" and "Jimny gen 3 - Jimny info" in the main wiki page.

Create two additional tables in the main page below the two existing tables, with the same appearance as the two old tables, but just rename the two new tables below with "gen4" prefix.

Rename all the existing wiki category tags to have a suffix or a prefix "gen3".

Create new analogous category tags to all the old ones, but add a suffix or prefix "gen4" to their name.

Sort out the content of the two new tables in the main wiki page to point to new gen4 category tags/pages.

Update the category tags in all the existing articles to point to renamed categories (to amend broken tag links due to the previous category renaming to gen3 prefix or suffix) and also to point to new gen4 categories for those existing articles which can be applied to gen4 as well.

In addition, apply Martin's idea about additional gen3/gen4 pictogram tags for quick reader orientation. Furthermore, I would apply these pictogram tags even to individual chapters in articles (to further enhance quick reference ability).

I welcome others' suggestions to my idea.

The only significant work which I see in the implementation of my idea is updating category tag references in each existing article.
Martin, can a web site administrator do it by writing a "search and replace" program script which would edit each article and update the category tag names? It should not be complicated to perform if someone knows how to do it.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2019 03:31 by Bosanek. Reason: Minor clarifications

More
09 Feb 2019 03:36 - 09 Feb 2019 03:39 #202843 by Bosanek
P.S.: The work on the implementation of my proposed solution can be significantly simplified by just keeping the names of the existing categories intact instead of adding "gen3" prefix or suffix to their names, and just creating new analogous "gen4" prefixed/suffixed categories.

This would completely eliminate the steps 3 and 6 from the implementation of my proposal. Therefore, there would be no the need to update category reference tags in all the existing articles, which would be the largest amount of work to be done in the implementation.
The only disadvantage of this "simplification" is that the existing category name tags would be left somewhat "undefined" as to whether they point out to gen3 or gen4 (but any experienced wiki editor would be aware of that anyway).
Last edit: 09 Feb 2019 03:39 by Bosanek.

More
09 Feb 2019 06:12 - 09 Feb 2019 06:13 #202847 by Bosanek
P.S.: I have just quickly revamped the main wiki page to showcase what I mean by my proposal. It's just a quick edit and the content can be beautified, but you can get the idea.

The edit is easily reversible if we decide not to implement the idea.

So, the point is to have separate categories for gen3 and gen4 in the same wiki, and then each individual article can be associated with (placed into) either a gen3 category or a gen4 category, or both. So it's completely flexible.

And on top of all that, we should then implement Martin's idea with pictogram gen3 and gen4 tags (also in article chapters).
Last edit: 09 Feb 2019 06:13 by Bosanek.

More
09 Feb 2019 08:22 #202852 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Wiki changes for Gen4 model
That change is exactly what I had visualised Bosanek :)

More
10 Feb 2019 12:20 #202894 by mlines
Looks good. I have added a header table to the home page to help with clarity. Martin

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
12 Feb 2019 13:56 #203050 by mlines
I have also added some icon based templates that can be used to mark specific sections and paragraphs

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Templates

Martin

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
24 Feb 2019 07:15 - 24 Feb 2019 08:36 #203744 by Bosanek
I am glad to see that we have come to some solution to adapting the wiki to the new situation. No solution is perfect of course.

I think that Martin's "generational" icons are a useful addition.

I have spent more than an hour a few days ago to completely revamp the category structure of the wiki to support both gen3 and gen4. Check out the expanded wiki for Jimnys gen4!

These changes included making all the new categories for gen4, renaming all the existing categories (adding the suffix "gen3" to them) and then I also did the worst job of all - re-assigning all the existing articles into the renamed gen3 categories.

While I was doing that, I also assigned some of the existing articles into some gen4 categories as well. I chose the articles based on my own reasoning.
I assigned the articles to gen4 categories based on three criteria:
1. Articles which are dealing with generic topics (like off road driving techniques for example);
2. Articles which are for the most part not specific for Jimny gen3;
3. Articles in which it is already obvious which parts of the content are referring to Jimny gen3 and which are not.

I did not assign any articles in which it is not clear what refers to Jimnys gen3 and what does not. Such articles need editing first, to sort out the content in order to clarify which chapters of paragraphs refer to gen3, which are generic and which are for gen4.

P.S.:
Since there can not be two articles in one wiki with the same name (for example, an article about fog lamps for gen3 and another article about fog lamps for gen4), anyone who wishes to make a new article for gen4, should first check if such an article exists for gen3.
If it exists, then the desired content should be added into the existing article instead of creating a new one for gen4, and then simply add the existing artaicle into a corresponding gen4 wiki category.

I wrote these article creation/editing instructions in the wiki help article.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2019 08:36 by Bosanek. Reason: Minor clarifications
The following user(s) said Thank You: reedx

More
16 Mar 2019 18:36 #204659 by Gadget
Have added a Gen4 rear speaker install guide to the wiki:

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?tit...Speaker_Installation
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
16 Mar 2019 18:56 #204662 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Wiki changes for Gen4 model
Good write up and pictures to go with it B)

How do they perform, I guess they will make a big difference to rear seat passengers, but what about from the front, how much difference?

More
16 Mar 2019 20:15 #204668 by Gadget
Sound seems far 'fuller', makes a pretty big difference to my ears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds