BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Discuss the BigJimny Shop and Website in this section. Whats good, whats bad, whats ugly! - what would you like to see!

BigJimny Forum and the New Jimny

• zukebob
  • zukebob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
04 Oct 2018 01:06 #196485 by zukebob
Martin

It may be too early to discuss this but I have been wondering if there has been any thought given on the structure of the forum after the new Jimny has hit the worldwide market. I'm thinking that there may be some confusion when posting information or questions. Even things like going to manual hubs may be different with the new generation (tricking ECMs, TCMs, whatever new CMs may exist) and people reading posts may be mislead by existing comments/solutions. Conversely, as people begin posting information on changes to their new Jimnys, those comments may not apply to our current vehicles.

As stated, maybe too early to even think about but I am curious.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Oct 2018 04:30 #196487 by Lambert
My suggestion and it is nothing more, would be to have distinct technical sections. Pre 98, pre 2004, 04 and 05, 06 to 13, 14 to 18 and post 19, Jdm, European and rest of the world. I'm aware it's not very elegant and can put people off and is quite UK specific. Ultimately it is entirely Martin's call.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Oct 2018 05:43 - 04 Oct 2018 05:52 #196488 by yakuza
Even within those sections you propose we would still like to know year/model and other data on the car in question to answer or suggest something.
I have some experience from a norwegian forum that was split up into many categories.
Too many will ignite the trolls in us when some novice posts off-topic and there will be less activity in total.
The norwegian forum was probably killed by facebook like most others, but it died earlier mostly because of too many categories.

Leave it as is in my opinion. Maybe a new category for the new Jimny when/if it creates activity.

Edit. Must add that I too welcomed the change into many categories in the first place.
I thought it would be better to have a more order and would keep it tidy.
But it just killed it.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2018 05:52 by yakuza.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Oct 2018 06:30 #196489 by Lambert
I know what you mean. There's countless examples especially of multi make forums slowly folding up because in part they looked too complicated and were trying to cater to too many different audiences, either that or they become dangerous places full of angry trolls. I would like to believe that the Jimny community is stronger than that. I would suggest it needs plenty of thought and if that means leaving it as is and guiding people to the right information that is just as valid a suggestion as trying to simplify it into different areas. Not easy.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Oct 2018 08:56 - 04 Oct 2018 08:57 #196492 by mlines
I am also concerned with a forum having too many sections. The other issue we have is that across the entire history of the Suzuki 4x4 ,different markets have different names for the same vehicle (i.e. the UK did not have a "Jimny" until 1998 onwards, we had LJs SJs etc.)

On another forum I have seen a facility called tagging. Everyone posts into a single forum category but has to tag their post as "Series 3" or "For Sale" or "Technical". These tags are then presented as filters across the top. By default everyone sees everything but you can filter on your interest if you want.

Martin

P.S Just googled it. It is a future enhancement without a current implementation date.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 04 Oct 2018 08:57 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, zukebob

More
04 Oct 2018 12:19 #196493 by Bill Portland
Hi, newbie here. I've joined cos I've just registered an interest in the new Jimny.

On other forums, alongside your avatar, you can show the car you drive. This is useful for when anyone posts about their car, everyone knows which model they're talking about. Would that help? Can this site handle it?

More
05 Oct 2018 07:54 #196512 by mlines
There is an add on that can do this for the profile. However it is an enormous add on which actually is designed for other purposes and only provides the extended profile data as an extra.

I will take a look and perhaps run it up on my test site as I would be concerned that it is such a major upgrade that it would affect other elements of the site.

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
11 Oct 2018 14:26 #196662 by Gadget
I think you're right to try and minimise the number of sections within the forum, I've seen too many forums where the sheer volume of sections means that the conversation is diluted and the forum as a whole dries up. Tagging sounds like an interesting solution, being able to limit post visibility to just those related to a specific model would be very helpful.

More
12 Oct 2018 21:17 - 12 Oct 2018 21:23 #196722 by Max Headroom
I'm still moderating a SAAB forum (even though i no longer own a SAAB - they just didnt want me to leave!)
The SAAB forum is divided up into the various models and major model changes along with other major topic sections such as cleaning/detailing etc see here...
SAAB Tech Talk sections

I am not aware of ever seeing 'diluting' of the SAAB forums in any way even after a section for the new 95 was created; people seem to cruise around all parts of the forum interacting with everyone else as well as, say, the 95 owners helping each other out while the 93 Classics did the same etc etc, but in many cases things such as parts etc overlapped the respective models anyway, so why shouldn't this be similar in the Big Jimny forums?
Speaking from my years of experience with the SAAB forum I also dont believe it would ever become a case of 'them and us' between the new model and the older ones causing a division in the forum community.
Although SAAB was killed off by GM just after the beautiful new 95 was released, a new section was quickly created with no negative results

Given the much greater activity in Big Jimny than in the SAAB Tech Talk forums I wouldn't think 'dilution' would become a potential problem; there is already strong interest in the 'New' Jimny as various threads already demonstrate, so surely a new section to accomodate the new Jimny would simply become an extension of these threads.

Keeping the number of sections within the forum to a minimum is definitely important; the SAAB crowd wanted a seperate diesel section but it wasn't regarded as a good idea and it was never implemented (thank goodness) as it was deemed completely unnecessary and in my opinion utterly pointless.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 12 Oct 2018 21:23 by Max Headroom.

More
21 Dec 2018 06:30 - 21 Dec 2018 06:34 #199257 by Bosanek
I definitely advise a change in the forum structure to differentiate Jimny 3 against Jimny 4.
The situation is already becoming a bit confusing with mixed topics about Jimny 3 and 4.

This forum should have had a bit more categories than just "Chat" and "Technical" a long time ago, but that is another story.
I agree with Yakuza on the other hand, that having too many meticulously laid out sections ends up being too "cumbersome" for average users.

As a compromise, I propose the following:

- Renaming the existing "Chat" category to "Jimny 3 chat".
- Splitting the existing "Technical category" into the following categories:
  1. "Jimny 3 technical - problems with mechanics (engine, drivetrain, etc.)"
  2. "Jimny 3 technical - electrics, lightning, audio, etc.,"
  3. "Jimny 3 technical - upgrades and accessories"
  4. "Jimny 3 technical - bodywork and other topics"

I also propose creation of all the same new categories but named "Jimny 4" instead of "Jimny 3" in the name prefix:
  1. "Jimny 4 chat"
  2. "Jimny 4 technical - problems with mechanics (engine, drivetrain, etc.)"
  3. "Jimny 4 technical - electrics, lightning, audio, etc.,"
  4. "Jimny 4 technical - upgrades and accessories"
  5. "Jimny 4 technical - bodywork and other topics"

I think this should serve well for a long time.

Alternatively, subcategories can be added into the "Technical" category instead of splitting it into several categories, and then disabling new topics into the technical category itself.

P.S.: No arrangement is ideal, and neither is this proposition, but I think that anything new is better than the current situation. I also welcome additional suggestions onto my proposal.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2018 06:34 by Bosanek.

More
21 Dec 2018 08:13 #199258 by yakuza
That is too complicated and exactly what I worry about. To balance this I would propose to have just one chat. And not split into tech categoties which was just what we did to kill the Norwegian forum. But one tech for jimny 3,and one for jimny 4 is ok.

Also the my jimny and build section should be joined if possible as there is no difference in how they are used.
Sorry for the typo. Phone is too small.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
21 Dec 2018 08:32 #199259 by mlines
Having seen the Gen4 Jimny, there is so little difference with the tech it's not worth splitting it up. For example, take a look at the pictures of the underside of the new Jimny in the gallery. Brakes and bearing set up is the same so a Gen4 question on adjusting the brake shoes might miss all the relevant stuff in a Gen3 section.

For me it's a matter of encouraging people to identify which one they are talking about, perhaps with some sort of tag.

If there were different sections people will always post in the wrong one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds