Subcategories from this category:

Longer studs for alloys or spacers?

18/12/10 - Caliper Rebuild (part 1)

The Jimny pulls sharply to the right when braking which tends to imply that  the left hand front brake is not coming on properly.

Therefore I decided to strip an rebuild the calipers as they have hard a hard life over the last 3 years.

First I got hold of a Caliper Refurbish Kit from www.biggred.co.uk. - for my Japanese Aisin Calipered Jimny the kit was BRK205131

As you can see it contains the slider boots (therefore is a saving on the Suzuki price straight away!) along with the piston seal ring and piston boots with retaining rings. It also contains some nipple covers.

Continue reading
  7179 Hits
7179 Hits

21/11/10 - Steering!

So having refitted the axle and panhard rods I then suffered a typical problem.....

The steering wheel is not straight! - the picture below shows it when the wheels are driving straight ahead!!!

 

Continue reading
  6666 Hits
6666 Hits

13/11/10 - The final push!

So with the axle fitted, the ORA Leading arms fitted and the car sitting on its own wheels at last there are just a couple of small jobs to do to finish off the car.

With it sat on its wheels, the first activity was to loosen off the bolts holding the leading arms in place and re-tighten them. This comes from a discussion with Darrell around the fact that the arms and bushes were installed with the axle hanging down and the car body supported on axle stands. We agreed that this could result in the rubber bushes being tightened with torsional tension them when the weight is put back onto the axle. Therefore I loosend them off before applying the car weight and then tightend them when it was sitting squarely on its wheels.

 

Continue reading
  5299 Hits
5299 Hits

6/11/2010 - Fitting the leading arms

So the rebuild work continues on the front axle.

You will recall that the leading arms were bent...the yellow object is a spirit level and the arm curves away nicely.

 

Continue reading
  7522 Hits
7522 Hits

24/10/10 - Welding up the Axle

I had a few hours free today to move it on a bit.

 

If you recall the mounting holes in one of the Leading Arm mounts were worn oval. Therefore I needed to sort out a repair. This was pretty straightforward. I got hold of some 12mm Repair Washers and ground off the plating (its poisonous to weld them)

Continue reading
  5048 Hits
5048 Hits